Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 06:14 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
I worked at the Rodeo Drive-In Theatre (12st St & Henshaw). Henshaw was later changed to Buckeye Rd. The Rodeo, at that time was $1.00 per car. People could pack the car, on the way in, and then the extra people could sit in the wooden seats near the snack bar.

Always two full length movies and two of the old cartoons with all the cute ads at intermission. Hotdogs and corn dogs were 25 cents, soda was 10-20 and 30 cents.
Most of the old drive in movie theaters had a floor trough urinal, wall to wall.

Years ago at a movie, my girlfriend went to the restroom and came running back laughing. She said a man walked in on her, but then she realized she was in the men's room. She said "I wondered what that ditch along the wall was."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM

218 posts, read 569,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Most of the old drive in movie theaters had a floor trough urinal, wall to wall.

Years ago at a movie, my girlfriend went to the restroom and came running back laughing. She said a man walked in on her, but then she realized she was in the men's room. She said "I wondered what that ditch along the wall was."
The Rodeo Drive-in was no exception to that. We had one with a brass pipe running the length to drip water along the entire length. This kept it sort of flushed and freshened. One night a customer was filling a cup from the dripping pipe. We had a strange crowd and water and soda was not the only beverage being consumed.

One evening a lady went to sleep in the restroom and got locked in until morning when the closer did not thoroughly check the bathrooms before locking the door.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
That was my favorite take-out food as a kid. I still eat it now. Here's the old sign they had in the late 1960s at the original location.
Oh Wow! The window under the sign that says Pizza King was a walk up where you could buy pizza by the slice and there was a guy in the window hand tossing the pizza dough. We would make pilgrimages from Mesa to grab some pizza there and sit the parking lot and savor it while sucking some suds purchased at the local Circle K. (which was on our way)

Old 05-13-2013, 02:46 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
On another C-D forum there is a link to a LandSat time-lapse site. The two links show a 30-year time-lapse of the East Valley. On the first, the outlines of Falcon Field and Apache Wells are apparent at the center; note how all the citrus groves around Val Verde and Greenfield at McKellips are gone. The second one is of Chandler and Gilbert; the old Williams AFB is on the right. Again, a lot of old agricultural fields and citrus groves are gone, replaced by gray urban areas.

It takes a bit of time to load but is a fascinating study in the Valley's growth. It doesn't zoom in fully, you'll have to do that after it loads.

Google Earth Engine

Google Earth Engine

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM

687 posts, read 4,404,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Why did this legend city shut down? Looks like a neat place that could have evolved into another disneyland, with the proper management and funding.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
Why did this legend city shut down? Looks like a neat place that could have evolved into another disneyland, with the proper management and funding.
Many of us anticipated the opening of Legend City Amusement Park. My friends parents invested a significant amount of money into it; foregoing the airplane they had anticipated buying.

I worked there for several weeks until the first (I think) bankruptcy. I heard many reasons for its demise but I am sure others have a better knowledge than I. Reasons were discussed such as the intense summer heat, bad management, several accidents, but just plain poor attendance (for whatever reason) seems most likely to me. It was a good idea and they really tried to make it go but, sadly it just didn't.

When it closed several of us went for the opportunity to purchase some of the items. I was interested in the soda fountain but found it was too large for our home. I ended up with some neat advertising for amusement rides from a manufacturer. Then it was gone, just as was the downtown Fox Theatre.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 AM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Many of us anticipated the opening of Legend City Amusement Park. My friends parents invested a significant amount of money into it; foregoing the airplane they had anticipated buying.

I worked there for several weeks until the first (I think) bankruptcy. I heard many reasons for its demise but I am sure others have a better knowledge than I. Reasons were discussed such as the intense summer heat, bad management, several accidents, but just plain poor attendance (for whatever reason) seems most likely to me. It was a good idea and they really tried to make it go but, sadly it just didn't.

When it closed several of us went for the opportunity to purchase some of the items. I was interested in the soda fountain but found it was too large for our home. I ended up with some neat advertising for amusement rides from a manufacturer. Then it was gone, just as was the downtown Fox Theatre.
It's addressed in another thread as well, but it was hard to compete with the LA and San Diego attractions. Magic Mountain, Knotts, Disneyland, Sea World, all relatively close by, even with I-10 not completed yet. The attractions at Legend City were tame compared to the Magic Mountain rides. Also, the price for what Legend City offered seemed high; I was fortunate that the place I volunteered at provided us with free admission the re-opening day in the summer of 1973, when they introduced the new flume ride.

The heat is a given, but Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), Six Flags (Dallas-Arlington), Astroworld (Houston), Frontier City (OKC) and Disney World (Orlando) are all in hot, more humid areas, and still have strong summer attendance.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Quote:

jukebo47, would you mind taking some pictures of those and posting them for us?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It's addressed in another thread as well, but it was hard to compete with the LA and San Diego attractions. Magic Mountain, Knotts, Disneyland, Sea World, all relatively close by, even with I-10 not completed yet. The attractions at Legend City were tame compared to the Magic Mountain rides. Also, the price for what Legend City offered seemed high; I was fortunate that the place I volunteered at provided us with free admission the re-opening day in the summer of 1973, when they introduced the new flume ride.

The heat is a given, but Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), Six Flags (Dallas-Arlington), Astroworld (Houston), Frontier City (OKC) and Disney World (Orlando) are all in hot, more humid areas, and still have strong summer attendance.
That's true. I went to Disneyworld in the summer and felt like the humidity was going to kill me.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
jukebo47, would you mind taking some pictures of those and posting them for us?
I will see if I can find them. We have collected "stuff" for 45 years and I don't want to say we are hoarders but maybe "Jr. Hoarders". As I remember them they are unusual because they portrayed equipment that seemed much older than the Legend City era. A lady who claimed to be (I believe) the daughter of one of the founders had a massive amount of paperwork from Legend City. I sent her to Bo's Funky Stuff and I believe he did purchase it all. This was a few years ago. I wish I would have had room for it but.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area