Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM

285 posts, read 904,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The legal name was Indian Trails Horse Country Club. I was a bit sloppy earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I never knew the horse rental or stables name. I was referring to the golf course; we always called it Pima Country Club, after the Pima Inn on the west side of Pima Road (?)
As I mentioned, a trivial question, no points lost/gained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 AM

41 posts, read 95,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaz1950 View Post
Does anyone know who this person is: http://www.acmeron.com/puhs/little%2...%20phoenix.jpg

Thanks,
dgsaz
Guess this will be my first post.

Most likely Chalmers Hall. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-22-2012 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: New members may not post links or make recommendations.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,889 times
Does anyone remember The Playland? I think it was across the street from J.J. Newberry's on Washington St.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM

53 posts, read 153,063 times
Default Little Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post

That's who I thought it was. My father drove this car in (I believe) the South Mountain, Jerome and Mule Mountain Hill Climbs. He and Chalmers went on to build the Hall Scott Special. One of those two cars was sold to Curly Brayer.

Thanks for the confirmation.

dgsaz

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM

53 posts, read 153,063 times
Default Little Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post

That's who I thought it was. My father and Chalmers were friends and I believe my dad drove this car in
the Jerome Hill Climb, Mule Mountain, and South Mountain Hill Climbs. They went on to build the Hall-Scott Special.

I think one of those cars was later sold to Curly Brayer, who was another sports car racer in Phoenix in the 50's and 60's.

Thanks for the confirmation.

dgsaz

Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 AM

218 posts, read 570,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjo5 View Post
Does anyone remember The Playland? I think it was across the street from J.J. Newberry's on Washington St.
That was probably the Playland Penney Arcade. I always wanted to go in there but was always somewhat "chicken" as a little kid. They probably would have chased me out anyway! I think Roosevelt (member who posts some of these fantastic pictures with amazing knowledge) added a picture and we had some discussion in an earlier post.

Sure wish I had some of the machines from there. Do you have any memories from Playland?

How about the Busy Bee Cafe or something like that?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM

111 posts, read 338,959 times
I remember the Busy Bee, but I can't recall just where it was. I actually was inside the Busy Bee one time in the late 60s or early 70s, but I was there only briefly and I can't picture it as well as I would like. We knew a family who had a member who lived in the area slightly north of downtown in one of the old houses which was a boarding house or rooming house, and who frequented the Busy Bee. The man lived apart from his family because he drank too much alcohol.

Ah, the penny arcades. I never had the fortitude to go downtown and actually enter one, and now I wish I had. A male youngster could build himself quite a reputation for tarrying in an arcade and letting it be known that he had done so. It would be said of him as he passed, He hangs out at the penny arcade; you know what I mean. And the girls and guys and dogs would stand in awe of him. He was on his way to being a legend in his own time. If a fellow could not have the reputation of having been incarcerated at Fort Grant, a reputation of having frequented a penny arcade would do nicely. As Henry Kissinger said, Power is the greatest aphrodisiac. A history of arcade visitations was as good as black motorcycle boots and the black leatherjacket with the white rabbit's foor on the zipper handle.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
I remember the Busy Bee, but I can't recall just where it was. I actually was inside the Busy Bee one time in the late 60s or early 70s, but I was there only briefly and I can't picture it as well as I would like. We knew a family who had a member who lived in the area slightly north of downtown in one of the old houses which was a boarding house or rooming house, and who frequented the Busy Bee. The man lived apart from his family because he drank too much alcohol.

Ah, the penny arcades. I never had the fortitude to go downtown and actually enter one, and now I wish I had. A male youngster could build himself quite a reputation for tarrying in an arcade and letting it be known that he had done so. It would be said of him as he passed, He hangs out at the penny arcade; you know what I mean. And the girls and guys and dogs would stand in awe of him. He was on his way to being a legend in his own time. If a fellow could not have the reputation of having been incarcerated at Fort Grant, a reputation of having frequented a penny arcade would do nicely. As Henry Kissinger said, Power is the greatest aphrodisiac. A history of arcade visitations was as good as black motorcycle boots and the black leatherjacket with the white rabbit's foor on the zipper handle.
The busy Bee was Greek family owned and next to the Rialto Theater near 1st Ave. and Washington. Their sign had a big bee on it.

Playland was at 25 E. Washington on the alley. There was a pool hall downstairs. The building was the former Donofrio's restaurant and the stained glass windows were still there when Playland put up their marquee.
I was busted by a truant officer for looking at the flip cards of a nude woman powdering herself. Good times for a 12 year old.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM

218 posts, read 570,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post

Yes, I do remember the signs at the Busy Bee. I must have always like really neat signs and the bee was a great one. I would have liked to eat there (or any restaurant but lack of money always kept me out). The Playland was a scary place to me as a little kid. Even if I had the money I would not have went in there but it still fascinated me and I really wanted to. In high school working at the Rodeo Drive In Theatre gave me about enough excitement for a long time, but darn, it was fun!

Old 06-23-2012, 02:47 PM

111 posts, read 338,959 times
Ah, Donofrio's Restaurant! My mama would take me to Donofrio's for spaghetti and meatballs when I was a nipper in the early 50s. I remember the starched, white tablecloths and the swanky plates and the silverware that seemed so heavy that it was a small effort to lift.

Was that the Donofrio family which was into ice cream? And I wonder what were the various locations of the Donofrio's Restaurants over the years? When did they stop service, if they did stop?

I'll bet a certain someone has a menu somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area