Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The restaurant is Garcia's.
At what location? It doesn't look like either the original Indian School location or the one that was built down the road later on. I can't remember whether there was ever another location in Scottsdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The restaurant is Garcia's.
As in Garcia's del Este, adjacent to Messinger Mortuary? Didn't look right without the Blankenship Apartments behind it (they looked like blue-tile roofed Monopoly hotels).

Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
As in Garcia's del Este, adjacent to Messinger Mortuary?
The Garcia's a bit further west on Indian School (the first Scottsdale location) which was replaced by the larger one by Messinger, was also Garcia's del Este, named as such to distinguish it from the parent location on 35th Ave.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
...After Chaparral opened (1973?), a lot of the students were brought over from Saguaro (myself included). Saguaro HS did have a party reputation. Seeing that the north portion of Scottsdale was growing, another HS was needed. I have memories of sitting out in the field with a large group of fellow students, just chatting and passing a joint or two. Teachers had to have seen this happening, but nothing was done to discourage the activity. Funny thing is all the cliques kinda got along during these few minutes. After a daily toke, everyone went their certain ways until the next day.
That didn't change. Saguaro class of 1978 here. Boondockers (mentioned in this thread) were one of the few events that brought Sabercats, Firebirds and even Beavers together.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The Garcia's a bit further west on Indian School (the first Scottsdale location) which was replaced by the larger one by Messinger, was also Garcia's del Este, named as such to distinguish it from the parent location on 35th Ave.
At one time the east Indian School location was Camelot Buffet. My snowbird grandparents would stay at the Scottsdale Apartments south of OLPH and go to the buffet. In the late 70s it became Garcia's, then Julio G's, and is now Dos Juevos (or was last December, last time I was in the Valley). One of my mom's favorite places.

I take it the picture of Garcia's is looking northeast toward Indian School and 77th.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM

156 posts, read 420,332 times
Speaking of mexican food, anyone remember Paradise Pinata?
On Hayden, where The Melting Pot is today. I loved that place!
Also Super X, Mt. view & hayden.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
At one time the east Indian School location was Camelot Buffet. My snowbird grandparents would stay at the Scottsdale Apartments south of OLPH and go to the buffet. In the late 70s it became Garcia's, then Julio G's, and is now Dos Juevos (or was last December, last time I was in the Valley). One of my mom's favorite places.

I take it the picture of Garcia's is looking northeast toward Indian School and 77th.
But it shows the front of the restaurant, which was (is) on the south side of the road. And, the north side of Indian School wasn't empty like that looks, at that time.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 22,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Our school bus stop was at 82nd street and Shea...

After Chaparral opened (1973?), a lot of the students were brought over from Saguaro (myself included)...I have memories of sitting out in the field with a large group of fellow students, just chatting and passing a joint or two.
We lived in McCormick Ranch when I was in high school, so I know that area - I had a friend at 84th & Shea. They've torn down houses left and right along Shea from Hayden to Pima.

CHS opened in '72. And yes, that was still going on when I was there, if you're talking about students sitting in the desert just across 70th Street from Chaparral. Not much was really done about it until after we graduated. Now, you can't even see Chaparral from Scottsdale Road or Shea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The Garcia's... was also Garcia's del Este, named as such to distinguish it from the parent location on 35th Ave.
I didn't realize there ever was a Garcia's in Scottsdale - but I kept thinking it would have been more north than that. I only remember the one at 44th/Cback and the one around 12th or 16th/Bethany. Wish they were still around. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBradley View Post
Speaking of mexican food, anyone remember...Super X, Mt. view & hayden.
You mean the drug store on that corner? That was blank land until after I'd graduated high school. I think that drug store has been several different things over the years. I used to have friends who worked there - or at the Burger King.

Speaking of Scottsdale/Shea, we loved Top Shelf. And Mag's Ham Bun. Long's Drugs by Safeway. Handlebar J's (still there!) and the sandwiches from Drinkwater's - we used to go there for lunch when I worked at Prestige Cleaners in Sundown Plaza. Mr. Jumbo's Pizza. And, of course, Appetito's.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readitnweep View Post
We lived in McCormick Ranch when I was in high school, so I know that area - I had a friend at 84th & Shea. They've torn down houses left and right along Shea from Hayden to Pima.

CHS opened in '72. And yes, that was still going on when I was there, if you're talking about students sitting in the desert just across 70th Street from Chaparral. Not much was really done about it until after we graduated. Now, you can't even see Chaparral from Scottsdale Road or Shea.

I didn't realize there ever was a Garcia's in Scottsdale - but I kept thinking it would have been more north than that. I only remember the one at 44th/Cback and the one around 12th or 16th/Bethany. Wish they were still around. Yum.

You mean the drug store on that corner? That was blank land until after I'd graduated high school. I think that drug store has been several different things over the years. I used to have friends who worked there - or at the Burger King.

Speaking of Scottsdale/Shea, we loved Top Shelf. And Mag's Ham Bun. Long's Drugs by Safeway. Handlebar J's (still there!) and the sandwiches from Drinkwater's - we used to go there for lunch when I worked at Prestige Cleaners in Sundown Plaza. Mr. Jumbo's Pizza. And, of course, Appetito's.
The Garcia family still owns and operates the Garcia's on 35th Ave. The "other" Garcia's are operated by a different company. I haven't set foot in one of those for years, even though they just opened one within walking distance of my house in Tempe.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:15 AM

218 posts, read 570,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaresky View Post
I was looking at older comments and noticed some about Alzona Park. I remember living there in the early 1950's. My father was an an army veteran who had war injuries and for about two years we lived in Alzona Park while he slowly recovered. I started grade school at J.B. Sutton School. I remember getting Polio shots at the school during the nationwide vaccination period of the early fifties. I remember walking to the Aero Theatre several times to see movies. I also remember Aero Bowl(ing alley) and recall going there with my father several times. A story told in my family is when my mother, who was very pregnant with my younger brother Ray who was born in 1949, wanted to go to the mvies. No one wanted to go. Finally my Uncle Sid, her brother, took her. The was a drawing being held at the theater for a free washing machine and my mother held the winning ticket. They sold the machine and everyone had food to eat for a while. I remember crawling under those "apartment buildings." We would always get yelled at from adults for doing so. A lot of people who later prospered in Phoenix lived in those buildings. Years later I saw some of the old building on Indian reservations where they had evidently been hauled.
We lived in Alzono Park, I was too young to really remember. It was low cost and not too great but it was a place to live. I did fine (I think) and so did my sister. Things like Alzona Park gave us motivation to get ahead. I do remember the Aero Bowling Alley on Van Buren. Never went in; just remember the sign. It was a neat sign that could have been saved for history. My Mom's doctor, when I was born, was on Van Buren. He, either Dr. Barfoot or Stump (brother of the former Congresssman) delivered me, not sure which one. I was almost a 12 pounder and my poor Mom was a tiny person. He must have been good because we both survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area