Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 02:14 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia Camelback View Post
Was there ever a place called the "Polynesian Plaza Pizza Parlor" near 64th and McDowell in Scottsdale? I seem to remember going to a pizza place with a name like that in the '70s. But I was quite young when we used to go there, so my memory could be a little foggy. At the place I remember, they had a window to the kitchen so you could watch the guy throw the pizza dough.
I'm glad my memory wasn't off on that one. I think they had a bench or rail so us kids (I was 7 or 8 at the time) could catch a glimpse of the pizza being made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 PM

107 posts, read 422,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I'm glad my memory wasn't off on that one. I think they had a bench or rail so us kids (I was 7 or 8 at the time) could catch a glimpse of the pizza being made.
Pretty sure you're both right, SluggoF16 & Arcadia Camelback.
The pizza ovens were behind a window just inside the front door.

Pizza Pub was a sponsor on Wallace & Ladmo for a while in the mid-60s. They'd deliver pizzas to the studio during the show. Wallace would open a box and say "look Ladmo, pineapple and banana again!"

They really did have pineapple & banana on the menu, as I recall.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post

This postcard always gets good response.
Wow, cool picture Roosevelt! I always thought the back end of that curved building, that was originally the Western Savings building (the one on the right) was ugly!

I also see the old United Bank logo at the top right side of the tower (whatever it's called now)

Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Wow, cool picture Roosevelt! I always thought the back end of that curved building, that was originally the Western Savings building (the one on the right) was ugly!

I also see the old United Bank logo at the top right side of the tower (whatever it's called now)
Western Savings was in one of the round buildings on Central I believe. The developer ran out of money before building the second 'IBM card' building. The UB building was originally the GB building.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-guaranty-bank-1967.jpg

Old 04-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Western Savings was in one of the round buildings on Central I believe. The developer ran out of money before building the second 'IBM card' building. The UB building was originally the GB building.
Attachment 94158
LOL.. The IBM "Punch Card" building.. yeah, it sure looks like one!

Thanks for posting the picture about Guaranty Bank tower, a name from the past.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM

107 posts, read 422,640 times
Quote:
Attachment 94158
Nice photo of the Guaranty Bank building!
When I was in grade school, it was renowned as the tallest "skyscraper" in Phoenix.
When was it completed, and when did it change to United Bank?

Funny that the "computer punch card" building symbolized the ultimate in modern technology when it was built.
Today people joke about IBM cards being ancient relics. Guess I'm an ancient relic too, since I learned FORTRAN at ASU using cards.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
When I was in grade school, it was renowned as the tallest "skyscraper" in Phoenix.

Funny that the "computer punch card" building symbolized the ultimate in modern technology when it was built.
Today people joke about IBM cards being ancient relics. Guess I'm an ancient relic too, since I learned FORTRAN at ASU using cards.
The one thing I remember about the Guaranty building is it had a turqoise blue color on all sides of the tower, a color which symbolized the State of Arizona and its Native American culture. Now it looks more modernized with a dark brown color, plus some other things that were added to the structure.

I can't tell you exactly when it changed from Guaranty to United Bank, but I can guesstimate it was in the mid 1960s, and I believe the tower was built around 1961. I was only 4 years old back then.

LOL.. I'll tell you one thing though, I wish they would redo the back side of that building on the northeast corner of Central and Osborn, which looks like an IBM punch card!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
LOL.. IBM punch cards were still being used in some places up until recent history. I also learned FORTRAN (Formula Translator) but I learned it in 1985 when I was going to tech school, and I learned it on a Texas Instruments small main-frame computer, and we had CRT terminals back then. I also learned COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language) versions 74 and 80.

Now I'm using C/C++, and I also use Java, which I don't care for too much.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:

Funny that the "computer punch card" building symbolized the ultimate in modern technology when it was built. Today people joke about IBM cards being ancient relics. Guess I'm an ancient relic too, since I learned FORTRAN at ASU using cards.
Same. It was VERY important to write the commands on them AND number them. An infinite loop could shut down the whole ASU PDP system (and often did).

Woe to the young FORTRAN programmer who dropped his cards and failed to number them, especially if he had a couple hundred lines or commands.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 AM

93 posts, read 253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Same. It was VERY important to write the commands on them AND number them. An infinite loop could shut down the whole ASU PDP system (and often did).

Woe to the young FORTRAN programmer who dropped his cards and failed to number them, especially if he had a couple hundred lines or commands.
I took some classes at Phoenix College in Unit Records or something like that. There were accounting machines, reproducers (I think) sorters, of course and others. Things like the accounting machines had big boards that had to be wired with hundreds of wires to get them to do stuff. It was not as hard as it looked. We also did a tiny computer program with the punch cards. I liked the key punches; I think the 026 was the print capable one. I messed up something in my little program and the computer got mad at me. The instructor had to restart the whole thing. I still passed the class!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area