Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,622,441 times

Advertisements

Malony Batteries and Carburetor business on Van Buren about 2nd St. and Van Buren. Rare photo.How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-malony-battery-carburetors-223-e.-van
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 AM

93 posts, read 253,737 times
I had never heard of Malony Carbs and Batteries. What a great picture! It made me think of Charlie C. Jones at 318 W. Jefferson. If you could afford it that was the place to go for fuel systems and electrical systems. Later they moved to somewhere on McDowell or Thomas?

There was also a small shop that specialized in carburetors just down from the PUHS auto shops. I think it was Filmore St. about 5th or 6th St.

I worked at Kraft Auto, 2102 E. Mcdowell, for a while. It was the home of the uh, uh, "$69.95 engine overhaul".

Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 AM

With the death of Dick Clark I was thinking about Arizona Bandstand and the valley radio stations of the day. I think my sister got to Arizona Bandstand a couple of times. It was not my thing in those days.

We used to play "Name It And Claim It" with radio station KRIZ. They would play a record and the first one to call in with the correct name won the record. There was about a zillion people calling so it was hard to win. It was really hard for us since we did not have a phone.

The trick was to dial the number and hold the dial from returning to home with a clothespin. In those days unless you really tied it up for a long time when you released the clothespin the call would go through. Even then it was difficult to win because everyone was doing it.

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
I had never heard of Malony Carbs and Batteries. What a great picture! It made me think of Charlie C. Jones at 318 W. Jefferson. If you could afford it that was the place to go for fuel systems and electrical systems. Later they moved to somewhere on McDowell or Thomas?

There was also a small shop that specialized in carburetors just down from the PUHS auto shops. I think it was Filmore St. about 5th or 6th St.
That was Corley's Carburetors east of 7th Street on Fillmore.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:13 AM

214 posts, read 646,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post

The trick was to dial the number and hold the dial from returning to home with a clothespin. In those days unless you really tied it up for a long time when you released the clothespin the call would go through. Even then it was difficult to win because everyone was doing it.
Use to dial until my dialing finger was sore...and still never got through. Lol

Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Here is one strange photo How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-wh-blast.jpg

Old 04-22-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is one strange photo Attachment 94257
I did not think anyone had a picture of that! My dad used to get me up to see that flash every time they tested. It really wasn't much to see, as I remember, just a flash. I have told several people about this but I do believe they thought I had just imagined it.

A big flash was when Duncan Roofing blew up. It was located in a residential neighborhood on Cocopah St, not so far from the original Food City. The blast shook our old house and we all ran out, about 3 or 4 AM. There was a huge mushroom cloud and I remember asking my dad if it was an atomic bomb. They had a bunch of stuff stored there including blasting caps. Maybe dynamite too, I don't remember. The next day the cops were at school showing everyone what a blasting cap looked like and not to touch it if we found one. The belief was they may have blown all over the neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM

285 posts, read 904,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is one strange photo Attachment 94257
That is one cool pic. Though it being in B/W (and before my time), I could just imagine the pink and gold color in the sky from a nuclear test far, far away. BTW, a little research shows it to be from the Turk event during Operation Teapot with a blast yield of 43 kilotons.

Operation Teapot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously Roosevelt, where do you find these pictures?

Last edited by desertskies; 04-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: changing yield from 43,000 to 43...that be one BIG boom!

Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM

283 posts, read 880,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
That is one cool pic. Though it being in B/W (and before my time), I could just imagine the pink and gold color in the sky from a nuclear test far, far away. BTW, a little research shows it to be from the Turk event during Operation Teapot with a blast yield of 43 kilotons.

Operation Teapot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seriously Roosevelt, where do you find these pictures?
I was old enough, but I don't remember seeing them. The nuclear tests scared my mom so there was probably a lot of "let's protect little Johnny from the real world" going on at my house.

What I really recall is the early morning White Sands missile tests in the 80's. Now they were cool to see!
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-missile-test1.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-missile-test2.jpg  

Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 PM

285 posts, read 904,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
I was old enough, but I don't remember seeing them. The nuclear tests scared my mom so there was probably a lot of "let's protect little Johnny from the real world" going on at my house.

What I really recall is the early morning White Sands missile tests in the 80's. Now they were cool to see!
I do remember those, the last being in '96 or '97 from what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area