Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM

27 posts, read 98,048 times

Advertisements

First move to Phoenix was 1978 to attend DeVry Institute when it was near 20th and Camelback. Lived at the Osborn Lakes Apartments, and then Tampico Apartments at 7th Street and Rose Lane. Both are still there.

Worked at Radio Shack, first at 16th & Indian School, then Thomas Mall, then 7th Street and Dunlop. It paid for rent, books and everything else the small student loans of the day would not cover. Graduated in 1978 and moved to San Jose.

Second move was to Chandler in 1983, but left in 1989 for a bigger job in Texas. We have been in Orange County since 1994, but have just purchased a second home in Sun City West. Funny that my first legal drink at 19 was in Phoenix, and it is looking like my last drink might be there also.

Loved Legend City, Big Surf, Malibu Grand Pri and Crusing Central in my school days. Loved camping at all the eastern lakes in the middle years. Looking forward to making some new memories in the years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM

53 posts, read 153,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
We had a 50 Ford panel truck with a flathead 6 who's rings were only a distant memory. Remember the refined used motor oil that was sold in glass quart jars with metal spouts? Yep, that's what we ran in it and we ran ALOT of it in it. It looked like we were fogging for mosquitoes going down the road. At least we weren't bothered by tailgaters. We got brave and drove it to San Diego one weekend and used 19 quarts for the round trip. Never got a ticket, even in California. My dad finally said, "fix it, sell it or I'll scrap it!".
I remember the glass oil cans.......

In Gila Bend, "Give me $4.00 of regular and fill it with oil". Not 19 quarts but you get the idea. Back then smoking wasn't a big deal.

dgsaz

Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM

93 posts, read 254,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
The old sign gives it away, with the stylized serape and sombrero. Circled.
I looked and I looked but could not find the Taco Bell. Now I see it! Sure was fun looking at all the buildings! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:20 PM

283 posts, read 881,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
19 quarts must be some sort of record! Did the spark plugs foul up? I cannot remember spark plugs being a particular problem for "Ole" Bob's Ford. Until a few years ago we had a 66 Mustang. The engine was very good but the exhaust fumes were really bad compared to today's cars. We have come a long way with environmental technology.

I think we called the glass quarts "bulk" motor oil. I suppose it was to hide the fact it was cleaned up, used oil. Ole Bob's 56 Ford was so bad it was more like "check the gas and fill it with oil". Hudson gas stations used to have racks of those bulk oil bottles. Blue Star at 7th St & Mohave had it also.
We used to get our bulk oil for the Beast at a local Whiting Brothers station on east Main in Mesa. We called it "Elephant Oil" because the rack it was in has a tin sign on top with a picture of a charging elephant. We filled a couple of old gas cans with the bulk oil for our trip since they wouldn't let us take the bottles. The Atlantic Richfield station had an oil dispenser, but it was new oil and more expensive.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 PM

214 posts, read 647,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Yes they are exactly the same except the Monster Taco is just larger...and don't forget the mystery meat. A friend came from AZ to visit me and when I picked him up at SLC airport he handed me a "gift"...a couple of jack tacos...it doesn't make any difference whether you eat them hot or cold...they're still good/bad (take your choice).
Don't care much for the taco's JITB sells now, but the monster taco's were good and also the Jack Burrito's were good. Bonus Jack's were good too. Oh hell, I miss talking to clown at the drive thru.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 PM

285 posts, read 905,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Don't care much for the taco's JITB sells now, but the monster taco's were good and also the Jack Burrito's were good. Bonus Jack's were good too. Oh hell, I miss talking to clown at the drive thru.
Haven't thought of Jack Burritos in a long time. They were tasty.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM

24,318 posts, read 13,170,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
It was fashionable to walk up to the drive through at Hayden and Indian School and stomp on the hose attached to the bell a few times, and then run away. Juvenile and silly, but what do you expect from 10-year-old boys?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
Actually that's the old Bekins moving and storage building. Carnation is farther north from there ( a bit).

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM

285 posts, read 905,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Brunner View Post
Actually that's the old Bekins moving and storage building. Carnation is farther north from there ( a bit).
The thread is two years old, but you make a valid point.
Carnation was just north (to the right) of the Bekins building and stretched back where the apartments are shown.
It was sad to see Carnation torn down, a double whammy when the Bekins building gave up its ghost.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,733 times
Default Bulk Oil at Mieneke

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
We used to get our bulk oil for the Beast at a local Whiting Brothers station on east Main in Mesa. We called it "Elephant Oil" because the rack it was in has a tin sign on top with a picture of a charging elephant. We filled a couple of old gas cans with the bulk oil for our trip since they wouldn't let us take the bottles. The Atlantic Richfield station had an oil dispenser, but it was new oil and more expensive.
Beware: The Mieneke at 7th Street just S of Glendale passes off bulk oil with their $9.99 oil change. Read the fine print on the sign. Presumably the other locations do too. Dont put this in your car if you care about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area