Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,475,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I also remember the Northern Drive-in movie theater on the northwest corner of I-17 and Northern. There's a K-Mart and a Motel 6 over there now. French's Lighting is one business that's still on Glendale Ave just west of 27th Ave and they're still there.
I've had people tell me that if you drive over the parking lot at that K-Mart (now closed, I think) and Motel 6 you can still feel the remains of those little raised humps where you parked your car at the Northern Drive In, as they didn't quite grade the ground enough before laying the asphalt. It's subtle, and maybe it's wish-fulfillment on my part, but I think I could feel it when I drove around on it a while back. I probably just like the idea of artifacts from that time poking through into modern-day Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:11 PM

53 posts, read 129,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I've had people tell me that if you drive over the parking lot at that K-Mart (now closed, I think) and Motel 6 you can still feel the remains of those little raised humps where you parked your car at the Northern Drive In, as they didn't quite grade the ground enough before laying the asphalt. It's subtle, and maybe it's wish-fulfillment on my part, but I think I could feel it when I drove around on it a while back. I probably just like the idea of artifacts from that time poking through into modern-day Phoenix.
I can tell you that particular KMart is still open for business. I only live about a 1/2 mile from there.

And yes, you can still feel areas of that parking lot rise & fall as you drive over it!

And over the last year or two, I've found that there are more of those "artifacts" in metro PHX than I ever thought. You just have to know what to look for...sometimes they're very subtle. I'll post pics of some of those artifacts that I find. Really cool stuff for us PhD's (Phoenix History Detectives)...

Old 04-19-2015, 05:28 PM

53 posts, read 129,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Looking at the car under the billboard in the middle, it's a 1971 Chevrolet Impala, so that picture was probably taken sometime in the early 1970s.

Central And Osborn - The one curved building on the right, used to have Western Savings' logo at the top and I think that was where their headquarters were - Several buildings that have been around in that area for a long time have been renovated in recent years, but this building needs to be either torn down or renovated. It has looked the same for as long as I can remember. I drove by there less than a week ago and in my opinion, it's an eye-sore. I'm not sure who the architect was that came up with that design on the south side of the building, but it's in serious need for a change. I'm sure the design looked modern back in the day when it was built, but now it looks like something out of a Flintstones cartoon! LOL.. This is a more recent picture of Central & Osborn and it doesn't look like it has changed since it was built.
I also gotta respectfully disagree.

That building is very unique looking and very much "of it's time", the early/mid 1960's.

The skyscraper catty-corner to it, on the SW corner of Central & Osborn, has an almost completely glass exterior and is very much of it's time too, the 1980's.

I like them both and I like many different eras represented. I don't mind if they don't look modern.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 AM

218 posts, read 570,337 times
If the theatres of Arizona are an interest to you Brad has a huge amount of information at http://www.bradhallart.com/images_ph...e_theaters.pdf

Did anyone ever venture into the Rodeo Drive In Theatre at 12 St. and Buckeye Rd? In the early/mid sixties it was a dollar a carload. Drinks were 10/20 and 30 cents. Popcorn was 10 cents. Pizzas were 50 cents. There were always two full length features and two cartoons. It was located in a tough neighborhood.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,415 times
Smile Grace Elementary

[quote=cobalt1959;37632583]I was born in Phoenix in 1959 and was raised in Glendale in a little WPA-built housing development in a twin cul-de-sac on the corner of 51st Ave. and Northern. 5002 W. Waite Place. Went to Grace Lutheran School for all 8 years of elementary school and Apollo high for high school. Graduated in '77. Worked at E. L. Gruber/Spring City Knitting from '77 until '81 when I moved Northwest to Kingman.

My mother, Mrs. Daniel, taught 3rd grade at that school in 60s. My little sis, Marcia Daniel (1960), attended Grace for a couple of years.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Totally disagree. This is one of the few interesting buildings from that era in Phoenix. (There are a couple of others nearby, the two adjacent rotundas and the inverted pyramid.) Most buildings from that era are flat out boring, as are most of what is being built these days. To tear that down would be a tragedy.
Agreed.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M. View Post
I can tell you that particular KMart is still open for business. I only live about a 1/2 mile from there.

And yes, you can still feel areas of that parking lot rise & fall as you drive over it!

And over the last year or two, I've found that there are more of those "artifacts" in metro PHX than I ever thought. You just have to know what to look for...sometimes they're very subtle. I'll post pics of some of those artifacts that I find. Really cool stuff for us PhD's (Phoenix History Detectives)...
I would love to see those. Our city tends to eradicate evidence of its past, so it fascinates me when I can find anything like that - especially if it's something I remember.

For instance, this is the old Copper Belle Restaurant, a riverboat-shaped restaurant that was at 1534 W. Camelback in the 1960s/1970s:

If you look at the restaurant that is there now (Peter Wong's Chinese Restaurant), you can still see the distinctive lines of the old restaurant:

Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
If the theatres of Arizona are an interest to you Brad has a huge amount of information at http://www.bradhallart.com/images_ph...e_theaters.pdf

Did anyone ever venture into the Rodeo Drive In Theatre at 12 St. and Buckeye Rd? In the early/mid sixties it was a dollar a carload. Drinks were 10/20 and 30 cents. Popcorn was 10 cents. Pizzas were 50 cents. There were always two full length features and two cartoons. It was located in a tough neighborhood.
Yep, lots of B and Z movies there - horror flicks, kung fu, etc. The photo below was from circa June, 1965. Nice that the Rodeo gave Native American actor Jay Silverheels top billing.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:47 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
There are several restaurants that I remember from the past.

Kings table (A buffet restaurant)
Mr C's 50s diner
The Royal Fork
Tuccettis (sp) near town and country)
Lunt ave marble club

Is there any Swensen ice cream shops around other than in metrocenter?

Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I think you're right Mike, I remember driving over the bumps, or dips in the parking lot. The last time I was at that K-Mart was probably about year ago and I drove up to the north side of parking lot, close to Motel 6 and I do remember the dips.

I didn't even know K-Mart closed..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area