Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here are some of your inmates in 1932 at 24th and Van Buren. It was called the social room. I have a lot of photos of this time period because it was national news about Winnie Ruth Judd.
Attachment 69102
interesting....the woman at far left is in just some sort of tank top and the woman at far right appears to be freezing and is bundled up in a heavy jacket....

but that's life at 24th and Van Buren, I guess
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 478,006 times
Does anyone who grew up in Scottsdale in the sixties remember getting out of school early to go to the Jaycees Rodeo over next to Cubs stadium which I believe was on Friday then the Jaycees Parade was Saturday morning. I think it went from Oak St. to Indian School Rd?

Last edited by Donalumni; 10-04-2010 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM

283 posts, read 880,927 times
How about this White Elephant? Did any one actually go there in its 2 years of being open or even know anybody who did?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-trot.jpg  

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
How about this White Elephant? Did any one actually go there in its 2 years of being open or even know anybody who did?
Gee, I didn't think the trotting track ever opened after the Phoenix 20 got ADOT to stall the construction of I-10 to go past it. Who was the owner of Turf Paradise who was in the Phoenix 20? Was it Kemper Marley? I know Kemper Marley was on the Arizona Racing Commision for years.

Last edited by Donalumni; 10-04-2010 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
We wanted our folks to take us out there, but we never went. Went to horse shows on that property many years later.

Phoenix 20? I've heard of the Phoenix 40, but not the 20. There were a lot more reasons why the I-10 construction was stalled than anything whoever they were might have done, and other reasons why the track failed (although it certainly would have helped to have better road access and fewer floods). Kemper Marley was on the Racing Commission for a short time, not for years. It was Don Bolles' investigative reporting re: Marley that forced him to resign (that info from various internet sources).

Last edited by observer53; 10-04-2010 at 10:53 PM..

Old 10-05-2010, 12:20 AM

83 posts, read 311,355 times
my aunt was Kemper Marley's accountant.
from what my dad told me, he was a suspect in her murder at one point because she had inside knowledge of his creative finances and dealings.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
We wanted our folks to take us out there, but we never went. Went to horse shows on that property many years later.

Phoenix 20? I've heard of the Phoenix 40, but not the 20. There were a lot more reasons why the I-10 construction was stalled than anything whoever they were might have done, and other reasons why the track failed (although it certainly would have helped to have better road access and fewer floods). Kemper Marley was on the Racing Commission for a short time, not for years. It was Don Bolles' investigative reporting re: Marley that forced him to resign (that info from various internet sources).
You're abolutely right Observer53. I knew Phoenix 20 didn't sound right, it was Phoenix 40 and after reading further into Marley he WAS only on the racing commission for a short time. Thanks for the correction but did he ever own Turf Paradise?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
my aunt was Kemper Marley's accountant.
from what my dad told me, he was a suspect in her murder at one point because she had inside knowledge of his creative finances and dealings.
Your aunt was murdered? Do we need to start a new thread here for Kemper Marley, the Arizona Project, Willy Beoff etc? This is about the most fascinating part of Phoenix history. Every time I see a Budweiser truck I remember the origin. And United Liquor. Now I'll have to turn the house upside down for the book Arizona Project. I think that's what brought Jana Bommersbach to town.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 AM

283 posts, read 880,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
You're abolutely right Observer53. I knew Phoenix 20 didn't sound right, it was Phoenix 40 and after reading further into Marley he WAS only on the racing commission for a short time. Thanks for the correction but did he ever own Turf Paradise?
Turf Paradise has had 5 different owners since it first opened in 1956. Kemper Marley was not one of them. They are:

Walter Cluer, 1954 - 1980 Founder and developer of TP
Herb Owens, 1980 - 1989
Robert Walker 1989 - 1994
California-based Hollywood Park Racetrack Inc. 1994 - 2000
Jerry Simms 2000 - present

Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 AM

83 posts, read 311,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Your aunt was murdered? Do we need to start a new thread here for Kemper Marley, the Arizona Project, Willy Beoff etc? This is about the most fascinating part of Phoenix history. Every time I see a Budweiser truck I remember the origin. And United Liquor. Now I'll have to turn the house upside down for the book Arizona Project. I think that's what brought Jana Bommersbach to town.
yep, Helen Marston.
she was the first treasurer of Paradise Valley, there is a street just off of McDonald and Tatum named for her (Marston) she lived (and died) in a house just south Lincoln just west of Scottsdale Road.

Boomersbach did a little story on her murder about 5 years back. if you google her name and Paradise Valley, it will come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area