Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 08:37 AM

83 posts, read 311,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
Wasn't that bowling alley just east of Scottsdale rd. on the north side of Thomas named Frontier Lanes? There was a Yellow Front store next to it. Wasn't there a Yellow Front on Thomas and like 48th St. on the SW corner? That whole area is gone as did the old original crosscut canal. Do you think the crosscut canal and the Crosscut Pioneer cemetery are linked by a family named Crosscut?
yes, that was the Frontier Lanes, there was a Yellow Front next door that became a Popular Outdoors, then when it closed, it became a seasonal Halloween store. there is also a Checker there too.

the Yellow Front i remember was at 32nd St and Indian School.
There was a Yates army surplus at 40th and Thomas, maybe you are thinking of that?

i can't think of a building at 48th and Thomas that could hold a Yellow Front, i don't remember there being 1 in Thomas Mall either. maybe at the strip mall next to Thomas Mall, but that would have had to have beenbefore the early 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
yes, that was the Frontier Lanes, there was a Yellow Front next door that became a Popular Outdoors, then when it closed, it became a seasonal Halloween store. there is also a Checker there too.

There was a Yates army surplus at 40th and Thomas, maybe you are thinking of that?

i can't think of a building at 48th and Thomas that could hold a Yellow Front, i don't remember there being 1 in Thomas Mall either. maybe at the strip mall next to Thomas Mall, but that would have had to have beenbefore the early 70's.
You're right! Come to think of it it was on Indian School..Thx

PS...I still have that racquet!

Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM

283 posts, read 880,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 69404Here is something even I have never heard of, the Rock Park at 5050 E. Van Buren.
I remember my parents taking me there in the 50's and it was quite extensive at that time. I believe they had a train or some sort of trolley that took you around through it. I was pretty young at the time, but that memory sticks out in my head.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,875 times
Wink the old Goodyear Tire sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSon View Post
Is the old Goodyear sign on I-17 gone ? When I was still living in Phx it was advertising BiddulphLand.I remember when it was still advertising Goodyear and would flash Go, Go, Goodyear.
Well here’s a real good oldie that I’m sure will bring it all back.
Black Canyon Highway at the Grand Ave overpass. Oh look; there it is …
the old Goodyear Tires sign in all its 1964 glory.

Several things are very telling of the times in this image.

The speed limit is 45…on the freeway.
The freeway itself is 3 very skimpy lanes in each direction.
No guardrails or fence to speak of at the embankments.
No median on the freeway except a little patch of (grass ??)
Large areas of undeveloped land behind the sign.
No overhead traffic signals.
Far fewer passenger cars than commercial vehicles.
The semi near the center left is a Navajo Freight Lines unit, which my dad used to drive for. For all I know that could be him behind the wheel!

In the instant the photographer snapped this shot he managed to capture no fewer than 5 semis a city bus and a train. Needless to say this was THE artery through the metro area in the 60’s
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-black-canyon-freeway-1964.jpg  

Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 PM

115 posts, read 291,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post

Yes, Go ole Yates "Army Navy" was located at 40th Street and Thomas. I visited there often. Had a kid in our scout troop who's dad worked there at the Yates Store. Also there was a Yellow Front store in the strip mall just east of 32nd Street on the south side of McDowell Rd. I remember they used to have a bomb hanging just outside over the doorway. Made many a trip there also as a kid.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM

285 posts, read 904,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Well here’s a real good oldie that I’m sure will bring it all back.
Black Canyon Highway at the Grand Ave overpass. Oh look; there it is …
the old Goodyear Tires sign in all its 1964 glory.
The pic got me to thinking of the Road Runner Truck Stop that was just north of McDowell and Black Canyon Fwy. Back when CB's were the "must have" items, we'd go and listen to the radio and the truckers there. Saw a few lot lizards as well.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:36 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,847 times
Thanks for posting the pic, Westside Willie! It would be interesting to see a "today" picture from that same location, to compare side-by-side.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:21 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Someone mention the Crosscut Canal? Now you know where the name came from. It cuts across another canal and then under the road and railroad track. Looks like an Indian archeological dig on the right.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-cc-canal.jpg

Old 10-12-2010, 07:29 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
I was hoping for 200,000 views on this forum but now a new goal of 300,000!

Here is a wartime photo when price controls were in effect. It is fun to read all the products and see what is not PC today, plus the fur coat!

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-kix.jpg

Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM

83 posts, read 311,190 times
i read through the link about Van Buren and there was a link at the bottom for info about Papago Park And the POW camp there. since those white shacks always facinated me as a kid in the 70's after my dad told me it was a German POW camp, i had to read it.
in the article, it states that the white shacks on the south west (ish) corner of Scootsdale and Thomas were actually old POW barrics that were sold off after the camp shut down. i had always wondered about the dumpy buildings there, they seemed out of place.
it also states that the Elks Lodge across the street from the Army reserve was the officers barrics for the POWs.

when i read further it stated that the buildings from Scottsdale and Thomas were being moved to MCcormick Ranch rail road park.

well i an close by and had the day off so i stopped by to take a few pics of the train's headlight to compair it to the one we are restoring for the Pioneer Park Train and ask about the POW barrics.

well they had no idea about the POW barrics.....anyone know about the fate of them?

also i was wondering about the story behind McCormick Ranch railroad park. most of the orginal building have wood framed sliding windows so they have got to be pretty old. anyone know the history of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area