Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,637,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John B Sloop View Post
Did anyone ever remember while at the drive-in after film was over forgetting to put the speaker back on its hook - then 'crunch' you drove off with it, big surprise. I must of had half a dozen in my room some I hooked to play in the bathroom, no one had a sound system in their bathrooms in those days (1960's). It had very tinny sound, how did we stand watching films with such junk speakers!
That reminds me of the first drive in theaters. Instead of the later speaker on a wire you hooked to your window there was a continuous pipe that ran in front of each car in a row. An attendant would come out and slide large individual speakers along that pipe for the best sound to each car.

Went through my photos and darned if I didn't find a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-hollywood-drive-theater-1937.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 06:20 AM

24,330 posts, read 13,191,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
That reminds me of the first drive in theaters. Instead of the later speaker on a wire you hooked to your window there was a continuous pipe that ran in front of each car in a row. An attendant would come out and slide large individual speakers along that pipe for the best sound to each car.

Went through my photos and darned if I didn't find a picture:
We've certainly seen some great improvements in audio technology from those horn speakers. I can't imagine the sound quality being very good, seems very directional. Maybe a rumble seat would help.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM

53 posts, read 153,454 times
Quote:
I found it, the place was called the Phoenix Executives Club at 5905 North 14th Place; curious they didn't use the Ocotillo street for an address, it would be more impressive. Looking at the satellite image, from Google Earth, maybe the second pool is the rectangular area between two buildings.
I grew up down the street at 7th and Ocotillo. In the early 60's this little compound was on my paper route. At the time, many of the occupants were airline pilots. They were always cool and jet set. I remember women leaving the apartments early in the morning when I was out on my route. Swingers?

I do recall it being called the ABC Club.

Fast forward to the 2000's. My daughter in law to be asked me to take a look at an apartment she was going to rent. Same place. It all seems smaller now.

dgsaz

Old 03-23-2011, 01:02 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaz1950 View Post
I grew up down the street at 7th and Ocotillo. In the early 60's this little compound was on my paper route. At the time, many of the occupants were airline pilots. They were always cool and jet set. I remember women leaving the apartments early in the morning when I was out on my route. Swingers?

I do recall it being called the ABC Club.

Fast forward to the 2000's. My daughter in law to be asked me to take a look at an apartment she was going to rent. Same place. It all seems smaller now.

dgsaz
Welcome! Great post. Funny how your perspective changes with age, isn't it??

Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,637,167 times
Quote:
Here the place is, southwest corner of Ocotillo and 14th Place. One of the pools has been filled in, it was where the vacant area is near the corner. I guess not a country club, no golf course, just a private club. I went with a friend in 1954, his father belonged to a lot of clubs because he sold air conditioners and clubs were where the money was.
Attachment 77235
My bad, wrong address and not the Executives Club, a mile too far south. Aerial photo is correct. I have looked in several phone books from 1957 thru 1970 and cannot find ABC Club so its real name is a mystery.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:48 PM

201 posts, read 546,216 times
Long before cellular phones, pay phones were everywhere. Calls on Mountain Bell were 10 cents a call.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM

427 posts, read 1,189,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Long before cellular phones, pay phones were everywhere. Calls on Mountain Bell were 10 cents a call.
lol and kids today have no clue what pay phones were.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:56 AM

Lou Grubb Chevrolet and Ford were part of Valley culture.. their ads played almost every night during the news on Channel 10 KOOL TV....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwgycfY6m8

Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 AM

Hickmans Eggs were distributed accross the Valley. They had a huge chicken egg facility in West Glendale. We went to school with the Hickman children. They were nice people and worked hard to provide good quality eggs for the local grocery stores.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 AM

Boys and Girls clubs were available for after school activities. We went to one quite often on the west side. Im not sure it was. I think it was near 23rd Ave and Maryland or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area