Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 73,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here the place is, southwest corner of Ocotillo and 14th Place. One of the pools has been filled in, it was where the vacant area is near the corner. I guess not a country club, no golf course, just a private club. I went with a friend in 1954, his father belonged to a lot of clubs because he sold air conditioners and clubs were where the money was.
Attachment 77235
This is low income housing now a days that takes the values of the rest of the neighborhood down. It should be bull-dozed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM

214 posts, read 646,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
I think a large 3 item pizza and 2 small drinks at PPP, ran me about $18.00 and some change last week.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,321 times
I grew up behind the Cinema Park Drive-In. Every night I went to sleep hearing muffled dialog and movie music spilling into the night air.
I remember when the Phoenix Bird at Town and Country was lit with real fire and Tang's Imports was my first exposure to incense and brass!
AJ's on Central was once a Piggly Wiggly and Camelback Rd. ended at Miller Rd. (76th St).

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 AM

12 posts, read 31,000 times
1956 lived at the SW corner of Cavecreek rd. and E. Catus rd. could watch and hear the movies being played at the Catus drive-in theater. Remember taking the water tank to Fort McDowell Indian Res. and they would fill it for 8 dollars. Catus Post Office sat on the NE corner of Catus rd. and Cavecreek rd. still had the hitching post in front of it. Smity and his wife Lucy lived next to us they had a nice two room in the side of the mountian (that would have been a nice picture) He used to leave for work at4:30 am to walk to Mountian View rd. and Cavecreek rd. to catch the 6:00 am bus to down town that was the end of the bus line.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Goofy Grape was the flagship of Funny Face. Chinese Cherry changed to Choo Choo Cherry in the mid sixties due to sensitivity issues. The depiction of the cherry WAS quite stereotypical, and I can see how someone might be offended, certainly today, but even then back in the 60s. See Funny Face for other examples.

I wonder how many frat boys ate a whole slew of Fizzies just to see what would happen. The belch heard 'round the world?
LOL I must really be getting old...I remember the name "Funny Face" but just can't quite reach it...I followed the link and the names ring a bell too. Ahhh the 60's with cyclamates and saccharin.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:56 AM

283 posts, read 880,848 times
The late tv movies were always flooded with these commercials.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
The late tv movies were always flooded with these commercials.

That must be his daughter, when he had dark hair, his daughter was little and usually said a line or two; it was just awful to watch. Carpetime pretty well put the other carpet companies like Pettijohn's out of business though.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM

27 posts, read 85,125 times
Default The ABC Club on Ocotillo Rd @ 14th ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here the place is, southwest corner of Ocotillo and 14th Place. One of the pools has been filled in, it was where the vacant area is near the corner. I guess not a country club, no golf course, just a private club. I went with a friend in 1954, his father belonged to a lot of clubs because he sold air conditioners and clubs were where the money was.
Attachment 77235
I used to go swimming at a private club where Central High girls like to sunbath that was called the ABC Club ($2.50) it was on Octotillo Rd @ 14TH ST. it was smallish but a 'cool' place to be seen in the late 50's to early 60's. There was also Hinton's Pool on Northern @ 12th Street. It was a no fee pool with just some apartments set around it set in an orange grove. I used to dive a lot on their board.

Last edited by John B Sloop; 03-21-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM

27 posts, read 85,125 times
Did anyone ever remember while at the drive-in after film was over forgetting to put the speaker back on its hook - then 'crunch' you drove off with it, big surprise. I must of had half a dozen in my room some I hooked to play in the bathroom, no one had a sound system in their bathrooms in those days (1960's). It had very tinny sound, how did we stand watching films with such junk speakers!

Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM

214 posts, read 646,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B Sloop View Post
Did anyone ever remember while at the drive-in after film was over forgetting to put the speaker back on its hook - then 'crunch' you drove off with it, big surprise. I must of had half a dozen in my room some I hooked to play in the bathroom, no one had a sound system in their bathrooms in those days (1960's). It had very tinny sound, how did we stand watching films with such junk speakers!
Good thing times have changed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6fXa60Y8A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area