Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 09:29 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,486,544 times

Advertisements

I was saddened to read today that the famous neon motel sign in east Mesa of the diving lady was destroyed in last week's storm. They won't be replacing it, as it was hand-worked neon (the same artist also did the original Bill Johnson;s Big Apple sign), and new ordinances would not allow it to be rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,643,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
I was saddened to read today that the famous neon motel sign in east Mesa of the diving lady was destroyed in last week's storm. They won't be replacing it, as it was hand-worked neon (the same artist also did the original Bill Johnson;s Big Apple sign), and new ordinances would not allow it to be rebuilt.
The new ordinances on signs go way overboard. Scottsdale was the first, people would rent a store and then find out they could not put up a sign that could be seen. True, the street looked better but everyone was going broke. I recall one sign on a bowling alley near Thomas and Scottsdale Road. It was huge and all 1950's looking. The city talked them into taking it down and they realized what a mistake that was. The only sign I can think of that is still in all its glory is the huge flashing Courtesy Chevy sign on Camelback.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,643,257 times
That was the Starlight Motel in Mesa showing the diving girl, HERE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/63657451@N00/3474960651 - broken link) is a link to a photo.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:58 PM

155 posts, read 479,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The new ordinances on signs go way overboard. Scottsdale was the first, people would rent a store and then find out they could not put up a sign that could be seen. True, the street looked better but everyone was going broke. I recall one sign on a bowling alley near Thomas and Scottsdale Road. It was huge and all 1950's looking. The city talked them into taking it down and they realized what a mistake that was. The only sign I can think of that is still in all its glory is the huge flashing Courtesy Chevy sign on Camelback.
Wasn't that bowling alley just east of Scottsdale rd. on the north side of Thomas named Frontier Lanes? There was a Yellow Front store next to it. Wasn't there a Yellow Front on Thomas and like 48th St. on the SW corner? That whole area is gone as did the old original crosscut canal. Do you think the crosscut canal and the Crosscut Pioneer cemetery are linked by a family named Crosscut?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 PM

59 posts, read 195,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Is the old Goodyear sign on I-17 gone ? When I was still living in Phx it was advertising BiddulphLand.I remember when it was still advertising Goodyear and would flash Go, Go, Goodyear.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM

283 posts, read 882,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I remeber that smell and the big wood vats you could see and smell especially. the song went something like (I think)

I liike Arnolds pickles
You'll like Arnolds too
The only thing that's better then
Is Arnolds pickles and you.

sound right?
I like Arnolds pickles
You'll like Arnolds too
The only thing that's better than
an Arnolds pickle is two!!

The hepatitis song ...................
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGS_mnnTrQo

Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,093,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSon View Post
Is the old Goodyear sign on I-17 gone ? When I was still living in Phx it was advertising BiddulphLand.I remember when it was still advertising Goodyear and would flash Go, Go, Goodyear.
I think it advertises Shamrock Dairy now....

I remember the Biddulphland sign made up to look like a Disneyland ad...fairly clever...

Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,093,050 times
Quote:
That whole area is gone as did the old original crosscut canal. Do you think the crosscut canal and the Crosscut Pioneer cemetery are linked by a family named Crosscut?
isn't the Crosscut Canal named that because it cuts across from the Arizona Canal to the Salt River and the Grand Canal??...see map below

SRP: Canal distance calculator

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 PM

155 posts, read 479,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
isn't the Crosscut Canal named that because it cuts across from the Arizona Canal to the Salt River and the Grand Canal??...see map below

SRP: Canal distance calculator
I always thought so too Doc. I was just tossing that comment out there. I grew up within yards of the new Crosscut Canal and spent many a day building tree forts amongst the Mesquite trees along its banks as kids did back in those days (probably had a few Playboy magazines in them forts!) when our mothers knew we were safe outside of thier sight.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,158,522 times
Quote:
Wasn't that bowling alley just east of Scottsdale rd. on the north side of Thomas named Frontier Lanes? There was a Yellow Front store next to it. Wasn't there a Yellow Front on Thomas and like 48th St. on the SW corner? That whole area is gone as did the old original crosscut canal. Do you think the crosscut canal and the Crosscut Pioneer cemetery are linked by a family named Crosscut?
Yes there was a Yellow Front there on Thomas, I bought several items of camping equipt. there, still have the old Coleman lantern!
A story about that place... I was in there looking at tennis racquets one day, when an older gentleman who worked there said "if you're looking for one , I have one just like that, brand new, never used , half price" The deal was I had to meet him in a nearby parking lot after work. He was telling me all this very secertly ofcourse. ...HMMMM, I wonder where he got it from!
And yes... I bought it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area