Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:55 AM

26 posts, read 68,055 times

Advertisements

It is still there but is not the same one as in the old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 05:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
There was one of these at Encanto Park. Kids were lining up to climb into the thing.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-encanto-star-trek.jpg

Old 10-11-2013, 05:53 AM

6 posts, read 35,399 times
I have lived in AZ 23 out of the 25 years I have been alive. The best thing that used to be here in Arizona was the Thunderstorms and the endless yards full of grass! The sky would light up with lightening bolts that would spread across the sky like a growing tree. The winds blowing so hard our neighbors kiddy pools and trampolines would fly down the road, palm trees and power lines would be knocked down. The rumbling sound of the thunder that would shake the walls in your house. And my most favorite part was the smell of rain just before it poured out of the full grey clouds.
Every summer my sister and I could not wait for monsoon season. Every time it would rain our shoes were tossed off in the house and we would run outside to play in the muddy grass puddles forming in the yards.. We would go sliding down the park slides like we were at a water park, feeling the wind blowing in our drenched hair. Just feeling the raindrops all around us made me feel as free as a wild bird enjoying a summer rain on a hot day. And eating dinner by candle light because the power would go out. Telling ghost stories and playing hide and seek in the dark. Even just sitting around listening to the storm bustling around outside the house. My mom would always leave all the doors open on a rainy day which made the house have the musty rain smell that I just love. I always felt so free back in those days. Like the rain would wash all the bad things away. And the next day we would have dozens and dozens of little frogs, toads and worms wondering about in the gutters and puddles.
I miss those days so much! I could not tell you what happened but it seems to get hotter and hotter every summer and less rain. For some reason all the grassy yards have been replaced with rocks. No wonder kids do not play outside any more.
If anyone were to visit Arizona, As a native, I would recommend going to the northern cities that green shrubs, grass and trees. It is much prettier in those places such as flagstaff, Prescott and sedona.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:46 PM

218 posts, read 570,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was one of these at Encanto Park. Kids were lining up to climb into the thing.

Attachment 119243
That is really neat. We used to hang out at Encanto Park, in the summers, even though we had to ride our bicycles from South Phoenix. We would look for lost golf balls and fish a few out of the lagoon to sell to the golfers.

I don't remember that neat Encanto Park toy Roosevelt provided a picture of. Since, to me, it looks like the Enterprise from Star Trek it would not have been around when we were goofing off at Encanto in the fifties. Some years ago I bought the spring mounted pink pony and rocket ship (below) from a local seller. He claimed they were Encanto Park toys. Since I had already bought them I believed him. I wonder if anyone remembers such toys at Encanto? The only toy I remember was the merry go round we had to push round and round to get it going.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:06 PM

218 posts, read 570,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda8788 View Post
I have lived in AZ 23 out of the 25 years I have been alive. The best thing that used to be here in Arizona was the Thunderstorms and the endless yards full of grass! The sky would light up with lightening bolts that would spread across the sky like a growing tree. The winds blowing so hard our neighbors kiddy pools and trampolines would fly down the road, palm trees and power lines would be knocked down. The rumbling sound of the thunder that would shake the walls in your house. And my most favorite part was the smell of rain just before it poured out of the full grey clouds.
Every summer my sister and I could not wait for monsoon season. Every time it would rain our shoes were tossed off in the house and we would run outside to play in the muddy grass puddles forming in the yards.. We would go sliding down the park slides like we were at a water park, feeling the wind blowing in our drenched hair. Just feeling the raindrops all around us made me feel as free as a wild bird enjoying a summer rain on a hot day. And eating dinner by candle light because the power would go out. Telling ghost stories and playing hide and seek in the dark. Even just sitting around listening to the storm bustling around outside the house. My mom would always leave all the doors open on a rainy day which made the house have the musty rain smell that I just love. I always felt so free back in those days. Like the rain would wash all the bad things away. And the next day we would have dozens and dozens of little frogs, toads and worms wondering about in the gutters and puddles.
I miss those days so much! I could not tell you what happened but it seems to get hotter and hotter every summer and less rain. For some reason all the grassy yards have been replaced with rocks. No wonder kids do not play outside any more.
If anyone were to visit Arizona, As a native, I would recommend going to the northern cities that green shrubs, grass and trees. It is much prettier in those places such as flagstaff, Prescott and sedona.
I suppose our weather has changed. I am also a native of 67 years. It seemed like we had many dust storms combined with thunderstorms that actually had rain. We are certainly in a dry period these past years. Some tree rings show there have been 30 year droughts in the past. I worked in the Water Conservation group for a valley city a few years ago.

I remember the small old wood frame house we were living in sat on concrete pyramid blocks. Some of those dust storms would cause it to shudder and sort of rock.The roof would leak and we would use an icepick to punch a hole in the ceiling so the water could drip out into buckets, dishpans etc. My dad would herd us into the old Ford Model A when the house shook and moved. The old Ford's windows all rolled up and four people inside; it was hot, sweaty and miserable. Wow! We were really poor but we kids didn't know it (I guess)!

Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 19,190 times
Default Ford dealers in 1950s?

I'm new here, I visited Phoenix in the 1940s but didn't move here permanently until 1951.

I'm trying to recall the names of the Ford dealers in downtown Phoenix in the 1950s, I remember the two Chevrolet dealers, Quebedoux (SP?) and Rudolph, I recall Ted Sparks Dodge on 7th Ave., Coulter Cadillac on Central, Arizona Buick on 7th Ave. near Van Buren, Bill Luke Chrysler Plymouth on Monroe maybe? and 2nd Ave maybe? Herb Stevens Lincoln Mercury on Roosevelt and Central, Thomas Bros. who sold MG, Jaguar, Hillman, Rover, Singer, etc. on Van Buren around 12 st.(?) but I cannot recall the names of the two Ford dealers! One of them moved to Camelback and 16th street, hired Mel Clayton as manager, he married the owner's daughter and it became Mel Clayton Ford.

Help please!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM

9 posts, read 19,821 times
Read Mullin

Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 19,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmjdf View Post
Read Mullin
Thank you! I was going nuts trying to recall that name. Do you recall their location before moving to 16th and Camelback? I believe it was on Van Buren or could it have been Washington St.?

Do you remember the name of the other Ford dealer? There were two downtown in the 1950s...

Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 AM

220 posts, read 656,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS11E View Post
Thank you! I was going nuts trying to recall that name. Do you recall their location before moving to 16th and Camelback? I believe it was on Van Buren or could it have been Washington St.?

Do you remember the name of the other Ford dealer? There were two downtown in the 1950s...
One dealership that seems to be missing among the 50's lots is Clark Smith. He either had the Chevrolet or Ford dealership. He was a big presence in Phoenix on TV ads, and he sponsored the "Range Rider and his sidekick Dick West" western series on TV here. I was friends with Jan, his daughter in the 50s.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:14 AM

220 posts, read 656,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS11E View Post

I have the 1963 Phoenix Phone Book and here is the listings for Read Mullen. Perhaps the dealership was 7th St and Washington before the move to Camelback, leaving the body shop there in that location.

READ ‘MULLEN MOTOR COMPANY
1550 E.CameIbackRd-264-1611.
Body Shop 7St&EWash ---------- 264-1613
After Business Hours Call
. New Car Sales ---------------
264-3425
264-4601
Used Car Sales ---------------
272-4427
Truck Sales 1550ECamelbackRd--264-4603
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area