Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 AM

218 posts, read 570,489 times

Advertisements

I cannot remember the Camel Drug Store Sign. Maybe someone has a picture; I imagine it was really nice. I cannot remember the mud sculptures. It would be great to see a picture.

Somewhere around this area there was a old diner. It seems like it was around 10th St and Filmore St. It was in the neighborhood. I cannot be more specific. It was still there about 20 years ago but just an old empty building as it had been for a long time. I remember it because a company was making a commercial for Mera Bank or some bank of the day like that. We loaned them some 1950's era props and wired some neon signs that they had made. They made it into an incredible movie prop. They had classic cars and an old teardrop trailer as part of the scene. It must have cost a small fortune for the signage and other details. They named it "Lil Roberts". I haven't any idea if that was the original name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 AM

218 posts, read 570,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It's at Cutter Aviation on the south side, on the appropriately-named Old Tower Road. A friend of mine used to fly there. Here's their link with a great picture of the old tower.
Thanks for the picture. The tower looks shorter, maybe it was lowered for Cutter's use. I always thought it went to the Air Guard after Phoenix built a new control tower.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John B Sloop View Post
Back in the 1950's I am remembering mostly the corner of 3rd Street and Roosevelt as I had a Arizona Republic bike route I had many customer in this one of the first Phoenix apartment complexes ~ it stood two stories which made me feel it stood 10 stories. It had a pool that was always green and we sometimes skinny dipped in it at 4AM ~ a bunch of us newspaper boys. But, I can't recall Garfield and Central anything!! Does anyone remember the HUGE (CAMEL SHAPED SIGN) IN NEON @ CAMEL"S DRUG STORE on the NE corner of 7th Street @ Roosevelt and next to that going EAST on Roosevelt was a old European fellow who built MUD SCULPTURES in his front & back yards ~ that were seemed two stories high ~ one big one in front had trees on the top like a Pyramid. Very weird, very strange and no one seemed to pay any attention to this 'artist'! Anyone want to take a gander at this remembrance?
The drugstore was Campbell Drugs and they did use a camel on their sign. At 3rd and Roosevelt there was an apartment complex variously called Alice Apartments, Arizona Apartments and then Burkshire Apts. up to Portland Street. The drugstore on Roosevelt was Birch's and they were there from 1927 on. The bar called 307 (their address) was in the little strip center as was a Gene Doyle's restaurant, later called the Snappy Grill run by a Greek family. There was a tiny grocery store across the alley owned by a Chinese guy named Charlie. Charlie work hard, left for China and came back with a wife.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:20 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,626,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
I cannot remember the Camel Drug Store Sign. Maybe someone has a picture; I imagine it was really nice. I cannot remember the mud sculptures. It would be great to see a picture.

Somewhere around this area there was a old diner. It seems like it was around 10th St and Filmore St. It was in the neighborhood. I cannot be more specific. It was still there about 20 years ago but just an old empty building as it had been for a long time. I remember it because a company was making a commercial for Mera Bank or some bank of the day like that. We loaned them some 1950's era props and wired some neon signs that they had made. They made it into an incredible movie prop. They had classic cars and an old teardrop trailer as part of the scene. It must have cost a small fortune for the signage and other details. They named it "Lil Roberts". I haven't any idea if that was the original name.
I never went into this neighborhood much, don't remember a diner but there were, during the earlier times, small grocery stores and auto repair shops buried right in the middle of a neighborhood. Only place I ate at was Upton's on 7th Street, I remember their ceiling must of had hundreds of straws stuck on it from kids sticking the paper cover in their milk shake and then blowing. An older diner on Roosevelt and 7th was called the Lunch Pail and a block north the Cactus Patch.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM

220 posts, read 656,319 times
Default Acmeron

I had donated several photos of my father at age 19 to Ron Heberlee at acmeron.com.... and some photos of when my father opened his Union Oil Station at 7 Points & Grand Avenue in the 30s. I now cannot find Ron's site...it seems to have just....disappeared. Anyone know anything? I do see a lot of his photos on this site that were extracted from Ron's wonderful array of old old old Phoenix.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 PM

27 posts, read 85,138 times
Was it basha's or bashams. I knew there son ~ and i think his last name was basham?? Very long ago ~ memory span can be wrong (of course)!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:05 PM

27 posts, read 85,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
As strange as it may sound, the Bashas that was on Scottsdale Rd, north of Ind Sch Rd, had some mighty fine tastin' chicken at their deli. I would make it a point to drop in just to grab a breast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The drugstore was Campbell Drugs and they did use a camel on their sign. At 3rd and Roosevelt there was an apartment complex variously called Alice Apartments, Arizona Apartments and then Burkshire Apts. up to Portland Street. The drugstore on Roosevelt was Birch's and they were there from 1927 on. The bar called 307 (their address) was in the little strip center as was a Gene Doyle's restaurant, later called the Snappy Grill run by a Greek family. There was a tiny grocery store across the alley owned by a Chinese guy named Charlie. Charlie work hard, left for China and came back with a wife.
YES, NOW I REMEMBER "CAMPBELL'S DRUG (THE neon sign of the Camel certainly now seemed like it was from the same CAMEL of the cigarette as an advert? What do you think? Yes, I would love to see that sign it was 'kewl' in NEON. It faced out towrds 7th Street NE corner of 7th St/Roosevelt. I remember UPTON'S ~ 307 Bar and GENE DOYLES. We lived at 11th St and Roosevelt until 1954 but then we wound up in Camelback's High district instead of PUHS where my brother and sister graduated. I loved the PUHS BIG STADIUM along 7th Street (?) and the roar of the crowd could be heard at our home.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM

41 posts, read 95,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I had donated several photos of my father at age 19 to Ron Heberlee at acmeron.com.... and some photos of when my father opened his Union Oil Station at 7 Points & Grand Avenue in the 30s. I now cannot find Ron's site...it seems to have just....disappeared. Anyone know anything? I do see a lot of his photos on this site that were extracted from Ron's wonderful array of old old old Phoenix.
Hope it's only temporary, he had a lot of good images on there.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM

283 posts, read 881,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Hope it's only temporary, he had a lot of good images on there.
Here is the link to whois domain tools: AcmeRon.com - Phoenix, Arizona Vintage Photographs

Old 07-31-2012, 04:38 PM

220 posts, read 656,319 times
I saw that link, and it expires in 2016. I am wondering if Ron just deleted his site because so many of his photos were grabbed up and placed in other sites. I hope not but nonetheless, the site is gone. I have many photos on that site that I took to Ron's house for upload...and he had great photos of my old Phoenix that I knew and loved so much.
QUOTE=desertratz;25427028]Here is the link to whois domain tools: AcmeRon.com - Phoenix, Arizona Vintage Photographs[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area