Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 09:07 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
My wife said that all the kids were in fear of getting caught ditching school and being sent to Jameson/Jamison and having their parents have to come get them out. This was back when they had truant officers. No offense, but they need them more today than they did back then.
That must've been before my time...no truant officers when I was a kid...actually the law at that time stated that a kid either needed to be 14 or must have completed the 8th grade in order to drop out. We cited that many times when ditching high school classes and no one was ever picked up. lol if my kids had ever acted like that I would have knocked them silly. I certainly vote for truant officers and they are alive and active in northern Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The first Safeway in that area...far as I know...was built two doors down from my grandparents in 1950. I remember ruining a pair of roller skates because I insisted on skating on the not yet hard enough new parking lot. lol I also remember playing by the front door because the 'electric eye' opened it when you passed through. That old Safeway eventually became some sort of office building but I don't remember when. Maybe early 60's?

I remember when the strip mall was built but don't remember it being a Safeway, unless that's where it was moved to when the other one was used for something else. I remember shopping at El Rancho too.
I can't remember if the "new" Safeway was there in '65 when I moved to CA for a couple of years but it was definitely there when I came back in '67. I think in '65 we were still getting our ice cream cones over at 31 Flavors in South Plaza which means that Thrifty hadn't opened up yet because if I remember correctly when Thrifty opened we were able to get 'tubular' shaped ice cream cones at a nickel a dip.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I remember when there were no...or very few...houses out by South Mountain. I sure did my share of horseback riding out there too! When I visited in 1968 there were homes out there and some of my childhood friends lived out there. The stables were still there in 1969 and I used to do trailrides back then. At least one stable was still there. It doesn't surprise me at all that they'd be gone now.

I used to love going up South Mountain at night just to see the lights of the city...and 'burbs'...all spread out below. Gorgeous! I have a few pics...if I can find them...that I took from up there in 1964 and it was still a lot of empty space down the mountain to Baseline.
Exactly! My parents built a house south of Dobbins in '60 and I think we moved into the house in '61. Lots of desert and orange groves. Euclid Avenue was still either desert or groves but the road and those houses hadn't gone in yet. Circle K was in the middle of the desert...Cliff's Phillips 66 was on the corner of Dobbins and Central...a couple of years later a drive-thru dairy (?) was built next to the gas station.

We spent our summer days swimming at the country club pool or Palm Beach, riding our bikes out to Valley View Elementary to watch movies, eating windfall grapefruits/oranges from the groves when we were thirsty, building 'forts' in the Palo Verde trees, collecting pop bottles along Central on the way to Circle K where we would enjoy a cold soda and some penny candy or maybe a nickel candy bar, shooting at the end of 7th St or climbing down into the gravel pits past Mineral Rd...maybe heading up to the old mine just behind Mystery Castle...bats would fly out of the mine at sunset and many times one would dive bomb us while swimming at the cc pool. If we were lucky we might be allowed to take a golf cart out and shag balls and sometimes we'd even get paid a quarter! Pretty wild stuff!

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM

20 posts, read 53,772 times
Here is an obscure one, perhaps someone out there will remember it.

The Bug Haus, (4245 N. 7th Ave) it later became the Black Forest. Because Volkswagen served the owner(Tim Horn) with a cease and desist.

This was the BH billboard, Tim told me he got some flack for the line,
"we won't jack you around". But then it was 1972(I have no clue what was appropriate at that time, I was 5 when this pic was taken).

Old 05-08-2012, 01:29 PM

20 posts, read 53,772 times
Here is some pics from one of my family's albums.

Luke Field 4-28-43, this was taken by my Grandfather(Forest Cox), when he was stationed there.After seeing action(in the UK, India and China) that's another story. He was a pilot and administrative officer.

Things have sure changed in 69 years.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:13 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Max View Post
Here is some pics from one of my family's albums.

Luke Field 4-28-43, this was taken by my Grandfather(Forest Cox), when he was stationed there.After seeing action(in the UK, India and China) that's another story. He was a pilot and administrative officer.

Things have sure changed in 69 years.
I haven't been to Luke since 2001 but when I was there that building immediately behind the flag pole on your top picture was still there.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM

107 posts, read 422,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I haven't been to Luke since 2001 but when I was there that building immediately behind the flag pole on your top picture was still there.
In the "historicaerials" website's 2007 satellite photo, that building is also visible.

Those are neat old photos by Commander Max's granddad. He must have climbed onto the roof of a hangar to take the shot looking east over the swimming pool.

The mountains on the eastern horizon are sure clear! Even the Superstitions show up well.

I remember that when my grandparents lived near Christown in the 60's, my grandfather (who was a Marine vet) would drive out to Luke to buy groceries at the PX or Base Exchange or whatever it was called.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
In the "historicaerials" website's 2007 satellite photo, that building is also visible.

Those are neat old photos by Commander Max's granddad. He must have climbed onto the roof of a hangar to take the shot looking east over the swimming pool.

The mountains on the eastern horizon are sure clear! Even the Superstitions show up well.

I remember that when my grandparents lived near Christown in the 60's, my grandfather (who was a Marine vet) would drive out to Luke to buy groceries at the PX or Base Exchange or whatever it was called.
The building in question is the 56th FW HQ. In the 90s while assigned to Luke I had to visit there a couple times. I remember the unique "I" shape.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 05-09-2012 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-10-2012, 12:59 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-joe-hunts-steak-house.jpg How many remember this place?

Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I don't remember that one, but I do remember a later location in the original Fashion Square in Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area