Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,156,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Any one remember the Federated (Fred Rated) stores that we had in Phoenix? They were appliance stores, if I remember correctly. There was one at Tower Plaza. Was watching the movie "Psycho" this morning and it reminded me of the commercial parody that Federated did of the movie.
I do remember a store at Tower Plaza, located on the west end, I think it was called Fed Mart. I could be wrong with that name. I bought some photography items there when they were having their going out of business sale. My guess it was early 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM

46 posts, read 116,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I do remember a store at Tower Plaza, located on the west end, I think it was called Fed Mart. I could be wrong with that name. I bought some photography items there when they were having their going out of business sale. My guess it was early 80's.
Hmm, the only FedMart I remember near that area was the one at 48th Street and McDowell. [Interesting factoid: FedMart was founded by Sol Price, of Price Club fame.] I still have a Schrade Uncle Henry LB7 Bear Paw pocket knife I bought at that FedMart in the '70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphotoman View Post
I remember going to legend city and laying on the bean bags watching the laser shows. I also remember going in and then sneaking in the back way into Compton Terrace to watch AC/DC. I saw the For Those About To Rock show. It was great. I was so young. I was with a friend and neither one of our mothers would have let us go to a concert. What she did not know did not hurt her.
Heh, some buddies and I snuck into the Def Leppard concert at the old Compton Terrace in like 1983.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM

107 posts, read 423,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Does anyone remember Trulich's (sp?) Steak and Seafood? It was located along the access road on the west side of the Black Canyon...maybe between Indian School and Camelback? Back in the early '70's you could get a lovely steak dinner for less than $5.
The name is familiar. I think the spelling was Treulich's. Never ate there, but must have see their sign numerous times to burn it in my memory, so you may be right about it being visible from I-17.

Back in the 60's there was a restaurant called the Arizona Club. It was up on top of one of the taller downtown buildings, but I don't remember which one. Had dinner there with my parents & their friends a couple times.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
The name is familiar. I think the spelling was Treulich's. Never ate there, but must have see their sign numerous times to burn it in my memory, so you may be right about it being visible from I-17.

Back in the 60's there was a restaurant called the Arizona Club. It was up on top of one of the taller downtown buildings, but I don't remember which one. Had dinner there with my parents & their friends a couple times.

The Arizona Club was around long past the 60's -- finally closed in 2009 or 2010-- for the last several years, at least, it was in Chase Tower.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM

283 posts, read 881,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Any one remember the Federated (Fred Rated) stores that we had in Phoenix? They were appliance stores, if I remember correctly. There was one at Tower Plaza. Was watching the movie "Psycho" this morning and it reminded me of the commercial parody that Federated did of the movie.
Remember the Barry's TV and Appliance stores all over the valley? I think all Best Buys and Circuit Cities helped to put him out of business.

He always had these cheesy commercials he ran on TV and when I think of them I also think of the Dire Straits song - Money for Nothing.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,631,026 times
Scarce postcard of the Brookshire's on McDowell and 16th Street.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-brookshires-16th_wm.jpg

Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 AM

427 posts, read 1,188,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Scarce postcard of the Brookshire's on McDowell and 16th Street.
Attachment 95325
I think I remember a Brookshire's up in Sunnyslope in the '70's maybe...and maybe one down on about 4-5th St and VanBuren...heck, maybe it was 16th or 20th St...I can't remember but I think I remember one on VanBuren...or was it McDowell? Oh well.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 AM

111 posts, read 339,255 times
Treulich's was a great convenience for the near west side, and the food was great and so reasonable.
Does anyone remember the first Miracle Mile that opened in the 40s on McDowell, just west of 16th Street, I believe, on the south side of the street? Before that, it was Hermann's, something like Corned Beef/Pastrami Heaven.
The new owner and his wife had sold their car in New York and gone to Tucson to purchase a property, but they found none of interest, so they decided to try Phoenix. They had no car, so they took the bus from Tucson to Phoenix, and did business with Hermann, a quite colorful man who liked to swish a huge butcher knife in your face when he was holding forth on one thing or another, like he was a portly, workingman's Errol Flynn. Hermann stayed on following the transition, and made many friends and a few enemies.
Down the street was the office of the legendary Dr. Paul Ryerson, University of Chicago, who worked first as a mining physician in the Globe-Superior area, then started a practice in Phoenix. The miners thought so much of him that when they got sick they brought themselves and their family all the way to Phoenix in the 40s and early 50s to be treated by him.
For a number of years, he was known as one of the top diagnosticians west of the Mississippi (or the Rockies?)
I can still smell the medical disinfectant that perfumed his office. When doctors like that left the scene, the whole patient was no longer treated, I think.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,631,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
Does anyone remember the first Miracle Mile that opened in the 40s on McDowell, just west of 16th Street, I believe, on the south side of the street? Before that, it was Hermann's, something like Corned Beef/Pastrami Heaven.
The new owner and his wife had sold their car in New York and gone to Tucson to purchase a property, but they found none of interest, so they decided to try Phoenix. They had no car, so they took the bus from Tucson to Phoenix, and did business with Hermann, a quite colorful man who liked to swish a huge butcher knife in your face when he was holding forth on one thing or another, like he was a portly, workingman's Errol Flynn. Hermann stayed on following the transition, and made many friends and a few enemies.
Down the street was the office of the legendary Dr. Paul Ryerson, University of Chicago, who worked first as a mining physician in the Globe-Superior area, then started a practice in Phoenix. The miners thought so much of him that when they got sick they brought themselves and their family all the way to Phoenix in the 40s and early 50s to be treated by him.
For a number of years, he was known as one of the top diagnosticians west of the Mississippi (or the Rockies?)
I can still smell the medical disinfectant that perfumed his office. When doctors like that left the scene, the whole patient was no longer treated, I think.
I ate at Herman's in the early 50's. He was a big guy working by himself. Here is an ad from 1957 showing the name change. The area east of 16th Street was promoted as the Miracle Mile copying the famous one on Wilshire Blvd. in Los Angeles. I believe they even had an arch over the street with the 'Miracle Mile'.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc00228.jpg

Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 AM

14 posts, read 37,294 times
The arch is still there. That few blocks is having a bit of a come back. Fresh paint on most of the buildings.

Brookshires is now called The Hacienda, or something like that.

I live near there, 21st@Harvard. My house was built in '48, this wasn't part of Phoenix yet, so I was told by a lady at the building permit department.

Has anyone heard of T.W. Darnell? The old phone directories show that he was an artist, and the first person to live in my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area