Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 PM

76 posts, read 143,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Does anyone remember playing on the train at Pioneer Park in Mesa - before there were any restrictions on it?
yes, moved to Mesa in 1964 and played at Pioneer Park on the train and the fighter jet too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIP66 View Post
KGB1956 are you from Mesa
many years there and in Chandler, Gilbert. Moved to Mesa from NY in 1964 then to Chandler in 1971, then back to Mesa in around 1979.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
There was a superslide on Main St. just west of the corner of Main and Dobson. I believe it was one or two blocks west of the intersection just about across the street from the entrance to the Pioneer Drive-in. Slid down that sucker many times myself.
Yes across from the Pioneer! Behind where I last saw was a Target store. Not sure if the Valley Bank was on the NW corner yet.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
When the original Marquee was torn down the sign was saved and eventually ended up at a restaurant on the corner of Main St. and Harris, about midway between Stapley Dr, and Gilbert Rd. It may have been called Henny Penny at that time?
I checked with my father and he also remembered the Henny Penny with a large chicken display on the roof or something on Main & Harris. I also remember when smoking was banned in public places, the Marquee went to a "smoking only" restaurant or something.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM

Another memory, and I know this is a Phoenix forum...metro area included I hope!...There was a small Italian pizzeria restaurant in Mesa on the north side of Main, west of Stapley called Bravino's. I'd go there around 1968 when I was around 12yrs old on Saturdays and it was as close to NY pizza as I'd had. I later moved to Chandler where the original Bravino's was. The families who owned it were the Brady's and Scalavino's; hence the Bravino name. After I moved and while at Seton High School, I became lifelong best friends with a son of one of the Brady's, Frank, and worked in their pizzeria in Chandler. I miss my t-shirt that said, "you've had the rest, now try the best!" RIP Frank and I want another shirt when I see you!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
These shots belong to J.C. Richards and Dennis Dunaway.
There is only 5 years time between these two.
Alice Coopers "Schools Out" is still the biggest selling record in Warner Brothers history. Now we have ... Beiber? Gaga? good grief!
The 1970 were are great time for rock & roll.
saw Alice at Manzanita Speedway on July 16, 1972. great first date and show!

Old 09-21-2012, 05:19 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I just spent about 3 hours in the Arizona Room and Burton Barr Library looking through the Coles and Phone Directories for 1950s, 60s and up. I was on a huge quest to see if Sahuaro Beach was listed in the 1955 phone book. They had books from the 30s to current, but the one book missing?.....yep, the 1955. I found Sahuaro Beach listed in 1956 at 8550 S. 16th Street, but I still need to know if it was around in 1955. It's a memory-thing...having a little contest with a fellow classmate. I went to Broadway Pool at 2000 W. Broadway, they said a bunch went to Sahuaro Beach on Baseline. According to the phone book, it was S. 16th St. So... Roosevelt, do YOU have a 1955 Phoenix phone book, and is Sahuaro Beach (not Lake) showing up as being around. Sure will appreciate knowing.
Palm Beach was around 16th and South Mt. Ave. which is just north (?) of Baseline. Could that be the same place?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM

220 posts, read 656,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Palm Beach was around 16th and South Mt. Ave. which is just north (?) of Baseline. Could that be the same place?
In the 1956 Phoenix Phone Directory it stated "Sahuaro Beach" at 8550 S. 16th Street, and 8502 S. 16th Street. At Senior ditch day some of my classmates (we are all 75 now but our memories we think are fabby) say they didn't go to Broadway Pool, they went to Sahuaro Beach. I really have no memory that Sahuaro Beach was around in 1955 but she stands firm on that memory. Some said they went to Sahuaro LAKE, and I asked her if she got the names confused and she said NOOOOOOOOOOO. We seniors are adamant about our precious memories. (grin).. I tried to call Parks and Rec to see if they knew, no records...I looked on recorded documents, I looked on Corporation Commission to see if their business name was registered...I looked everywhere for answers but ran into a blank wall. I want to see that 1955 Phone Book..... Who knew that we should have kept such things we so took for granted.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:29 AM

19 posts, read 78,593 times
Default Adeline Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukebox47 View Post
The family has a huge history in very early Phoenix. The mansion was a big social center. I can imagine the parties and dancing in that old mansion. Adeline Gray jumped out of airplanes and was the first lady to use a nylon parachute (I believe she was testing it, perhaps for the war effort). It is all gone now and it is truly a shame. What a house it would have been if it could have been saved and restored.
Here is an article about Adeline Gray published in 1951
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-adeline-gray-article-poss-early-1951.jpg  

Old 09-21-2012, 12:43 PM

218 posts, read 570,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom85014 View Post
Here is an article about Adeline Gray published in 1951
Thank You for taking the time to post that great article. I wonder if it can be dated? After reading it I do remember we used to call it the Greenhaw mansion or house. I also seem to remember a small adobe, or what there was left of it in the area. I am not so sure about that adobe memory though. So I need to find out more about the story of Adeline Gray testing parachutes; it was certainly not the 80 year old Adeline who took her first plane ride.

Stephenson school was at 12th St and Apache. If we had lived across the street from where we did I would have went there. My sister, a bit older than I, in fact, did go there one year probably because Gray School was not completed. Stephenson school had a Principal, Ann Ott, whom the school was later renamed for. I was glad not to go to Stephenson; I saw a kid really getting it there from a teacher or perhaps the Principal on one of our daily trips to walk my sister home.

Gray School was K-6. Once in the 6trh Grade we were bused to Lowell school for Wood Shop classes. The girls went to home economics. The shop teacher was scary and boy was he ever tough. I doubt anyone would believe what went on in there but I have to admit his teachings stayed with me. I can stil hear and see him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area