Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 05:26 PM

427 posts, read 1,189,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfrybaby View Post
I was born at the old ST. Joes hospital in 1946. All the coments have been a trip down memory lane. My mother took us to a pool around Baseline I think maybe near 16th st to a pool that had a beach around it (not Tempe Beach Pool) She thought it might be the name of the street like Baseline Pool or Broadway pool. Can anyone help with the name of such a place in the 59s? Thanks Karen
Could that have been Palm Beach? Location is right. I remember they had a huge slide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Here it is circa 1962. Check out that bus in the foreground.

Who remembers the Smugglers Inn?
A restaurant on the back side of Park Central? The had a salad called the 'quarter head' which was a quarter head of crisp, ice cold iceberg lettuce smothered in chunky bleu cheese dressing...and it was my favorite!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, Happiness House was a toy store. There were a few others in 1970, the Toy Cottage, FAO Schwarz, The Merrymakers, Websters, Mr. Kessler's.
LOL I think maybe I got my first yo-yo there...Duncan of course.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Without further checking I think 'zones' appeared about 1944 and zip codes 1964. They dropped the Amhurst, Windsor, Alpine, Woodland, Yorktown, Bridge, Crestwood and so on because of PC; people complained that others would know they lived in a shabby area because of their prefix.

Really! lol I guess I was too young to realize that.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I thought the first Dairy Queen was at 7th Street and Roosevelt. It is now a Mexican fast food. There is another in Sunnyslope on Dunlap but boarded up. The latest remodel, and I admit it looks good, is on Central north of Camelback next to that deli with the big world sign on top (when they remodeled that strip center, the deli refused to go along). Humpty Dumpty was just up the street.

As for the first soft ice cream place I think it might have been Foster's Freeze at 12th Street and McDowell in the late 40's. The building was tall slanted glass on three sides with a free form angled roof, pretty modern for the time. Jetson architecture.

Another 1940's modern place was the Black Swan on Thomas we all called the Dirty Duck.
You're probably correct...I just remember the one down in s. Phoenix and commented on that one. Wish there was more info on s. Phx in the '60's.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
YE = Yellowstone

we were YE9-2511 - had a party line, used to listen in on the neighborhood gossip. Always some women talking about their hair or something equally fascinating.
Oh yes, party lines...our neighbors were always on the phone and I'd have to ask them to use it...also had different rings...one would be yours and the other was the other party. Phones have certainly come a long ways!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Any relation to Gene Doyle who had restaurants all over the place in the later 40's?
Sorry, guess I missed his last name...it was Doyle Williams.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I have a menu from Newberry's that has a waffle and coffee for 10 cents, about 1938. I might add that the Newberry's lunch counter, which ran for a half city block, was not the cheapest place in town to eat either.
I remember JJ Newberry's...and I remember the huge lunch counter too. I've been gone from Phoenix for so long now that I don't really recognize anything anymore.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Had a great time reading all 2686 posts on this forum. Thanks for the great trip down memory lane!

Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erindavis View Post
I was at Patterdell/Good Shepherd in the mid-70's. It was for juvenile girls - basically the last stop/last chance before the prison.

I remember Sister Rose fondly - short, squat, perpetually happy and joking. She was awesome. I remember making bread for the whole cottage for the week every Sunday, and Mr. Perez who was a great teacher. We wore these horrible, super thick polyester orange pantsuit uniforms ... lol. I gave a "valedictorian" address when I graduated high school there (graduating seniors = 3). I also remember "Family Living" classes where we'd learn how to live a "moral life" and also the rating system and pink slips and blue slips for behavior. Overall, I think the set up worked pretty well - lots of structure and positive influences. And the nuns were pretty cool.

They really must've changed things as I don't think we were allowed to wear pants at all. This was '67-'68. We went from blue plaid vests and skirts to blue plaid jumpers. Do you remember kneeling on the floor and if your dress didn't touch it then it was too short. Oh boy do I have stories about GSSfG...nothing bad and I have to admit that those nuns did teach me that cleanliness was definitely next to godliness. Have thought about GS in many, many years. Were Miss Margarete and Miss Bonafacio administrators out there when you were there. Miss M was a tough old bird but very fair...Miss B was very nice and soft-spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area