Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 40,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
Speaking of Town and Country, does anyone remember Jutenhoops? It was a jumble of just odd stuff, it always smelled like insense. I remember buying a LavaLamp there in re mid 80's with my first pay check from Chives ( a salad bar/ restaurant that was accross the street at The Collinade ) the summer of my freshman year of high school at Arcadia.
OH WOW!!! I worked at Chives in the mid 80's too!! It was my first job. I remember having dreams at night about veggies floating around and I had to be sure to keep them in their bowls. Hahahahaa Do you remember the "garbage salad"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM

8 posts, read 40,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
There is a great site devoted to old movie theaters, www.cinematreasures.org. They list one closed theater in Peoria (Peoria Theater, aka Paramount Theater) which sounds like it could be the one you describe, at 8307 W. Washington St. (near Grand)

Thanks for the great site link! It was neat to read about the Cine Capri (saw Star Wars in 1977 and Empire Strikes Back in 1980 there) as well as the Kachina in Scottsdale.
I saw the Star Wars movies many many times at Cine Capri too! I also remember my class at St. Thomas walking down there to see Ghandi on a field trip. I loved that theatre.

This thread is wonderful. It brings back so many great memories.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
There is a great site devoted to old movie theaters, www.cinematreasures.org. They list one closed theater in Peoria (Peoria Theater, aka Paramount Theater) which sounds like it could be the one you describe, at 8307 W. Washington St. (near Grand)

Thanks for the great site link! It was neat to read about the Cine Capri (saw Star Wars in 1977 and Empire Strikes Back in 1980 there) as well as the Kachina in Scottsdale.
I worked there as an usher and tore tickets through most of the run of Star Wars. I probably tore your ticket! (In that case, hello, nice to see you again!)

Old 01-22-2011, 12:27 PM

83 posts, read 311,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarch View Post
OH WOW!!! I worked at Chives in the mid 80's too!! It was my first job. I remember having dreams at night about veggies floating around and I had to be sure to keep them in their bowls. Hahahahaa Do you remember the "garbage salad"?
I don't remember the garbage salad. I do remember the owner's name was Mr. LADA or LATA ( I think he was Arab maybe) the managers name was Ada and she was an older redhead, the assistant managers name was Susan. I remember she was a tall blonde with short-ish hair. I remember thinking she was really cute, but spool much older than me at 20...lol. there was a 16-17 guy I worked with who made me some really cool "mix-tapes" from all these bands I had never heard of. It opened my eyes to a lot of the music going on in the mid to late 80's. IIRC his name was Zack.

I remember there was a mexican guy there too, Tommy. He drove a ford maveric that he was always bitching about paying high insurance on

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,151 times
I moved to Phx in 1960. I remember when we all shopped downtown at Korrick's and Penny's. Unfortunately I still remember the old El Rey Cafe on the east side of Central just as you'd enter downtown from the south with it's 'whites only' sign...they chose to close rather than change. Even as a small child I knew that was wrong and was glad to see it go away. We took the bus downtown to see a movie at the Fox or Paramount and watched one movie of the double feature then went to Woolworth's to share a piece of pizza and a coke. Then on to play on the elevators at the Hotel Adams. Anyone remember the old street preacher who used to stand on top of his old station wagon by Woolworth's? The old Phoenix Stamp and Coin was downtown and our last stop before heading back to the old bus station for our trip home. I think Christown used to be an open-air mall. There were tanks of Piranha's in either Christown or Thomas Mall (maybe it was Tower Plaza). The Black Canyon fwy was extended to 7th St. There was no Legend City. I remember when they built the Maytag Zoo. Swap meets were at the dog track out on maybe Washington. We took our salt tabs and played outside all day long in the summer time. To get from south Phx to Tempe you took Baseline out past Watanabe's Flower Gardens. Claude Moore was the editor of the newspaper and had a Sunkist grove out Baseline...Carl Hayden was still a senator. Chandler was way out in the country somewhere. Metrocenter wasn't even a dream and that land was all empty. We had desert parties somewhere in the middle of nowhere just past Sunnyslope. Apache Trail was a dirt road. There were nothing but cotton fields out around 19th Ave and Southern. El Rancho Mkt was where we shopped at Central and Southern. Yee's Mkt was on the corner of Baseline and Central. In high school we cruised Central from Der Weinerschnitzel on the south side to the one up on the north side...maybe Indian School. I remember drive-in theaters and the Bethany Theater up on Bethany Home Road. I remember when the Guaranty Bank was the tallest building in Phx. I remember before there were Goldwater's dept stores...before the one at Fashion Square in Scottsdale the land was a little farm. I remember petting horses at about 80th St and E. Thomas Rd. There were big pastures on the north side of the road way back in 1960. Anyone remember Palm Beach Swimming Pool around 16th St and about S. Mountain Ave.? I left Phoenix in '77 and just returned last year and what a change! South Phx looks much better now then it did in the 60's. Many roads down there were still dirt roads. We used to go shooting out Union Hills Rd (which was dirt I think) just off the Black Canyon and that was out in the boonies. A big housing development was built just south of Greenway and the fwy called Country Gables and it was way out north of Phx and my parents wondered why someone would want to live out there. Tommy and the Shondelles at Encanto Park in '67. Great trip down memory lane.

Last edited by trillcatz; 01-22-2011 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Regarding Guardian Angel Nursery and Cloud 9: I think I remember this...it was up 15th Ave just north of Peoria? Cloud 9 had closed by the '70's and then people would hang glide off the mountain. I had and apt on the corner of 15th Ave and Desert Cove back then...my the neighborhood has changed!

Last edited by trillcatz; 01-23-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Back to the 60's...does anyone remember South Mountain Speedway? Down S. Central just before South Mt. Park? Friday nite destruction derbies? Fireworks on the 4th of July came from Manzanita Speedway I think.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Default Minder Binders

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraffe View Post
the building Minder Binders was in is still there and standing. it shut down maybe 8 years ago because ALL of the plumbing drains were rotted away. the sewer lines were actually just drininging into the dirt. it was going to cost a mint to replumb everything and bring it up to code so the owners just decided to close it down. from what i understand, everything is still inside, all the crazy decore. the owners are just sitting on it waiting to sell everything including the land in one shot.

fun trivia fact.......the famous pin striper/car customiser VON DUTCH actually pin striped all the booths and bar itself not long after it opened in exchange for an open bar tabwhen he was living and working in Tempe. most of it was painted over at some time, but if you lifted up the cushions and the benches you could still see the pin stripe work.

OH YEAH! Big, cold wine coolers in mugs...way loud music! Fun times in '74!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Remembering the days were there was no Walmart just T.G.& Y, no CVS just a Thrifty drug, and no Chase bank was a "Valley of the Sun"! Aw, times have changed. I use to think T.G. & Y was the largest store I'd ever seen besides K Mart, and we only went there a few times a year.
Anyone remember your favorite stores as a kid here?

T G & Y was the greatest...they had everything! There was one in S. Phx. next to the El Rancho Mkt. Anyone remember where Happiness House was? Scottsdale maybe? Don't know why I remember it but I do.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
T G & Y was the greatest...they had everything! There was one in S. Phx. next to the El Rancho Mkt. Anyone remember where Happiness House was? Scottsdale maybe? Don't know why I remember it but I do.
There were three Happiness Houses, 27th Ave. and Northern; one way up on 32nd Street; and Indian School about Hayden Rd. I don't know what kind of store it was though.

Totem was a big department store, plus Globe, Govway, Grant, Fed Mart and Woolco.

Last edited by roosevelt; 01-23-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area