Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 10:34 AM

283 posts, read 881,973 times

Advertisements

I almost forgot about Chandler Dodge where I bought my first new truck, a 1972 Dodge Power Wagon.

Francis Becker was the owner and he sold all his trucks at $200 over invoice which was unheard of at the time. He sold so many Dodge trucks that Chrysler corporation gave him #1 priority west of the Mississippi. If he needed trucks, they would let other dealers twist in the wind to supply Chandler Dodge.

My friends dad was the maintenance manager for Chandler Dodge and Francis Becker kept two or three mechanics busy doing nothing but restoring old Chrysler products. He had a collection of several hundred, some of which Chrysler didn't have in their collection and they were always bugging him to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM

Roosevelt, do your phone books show the Edsel dealer in Mesa? I remember them as a kid and they were on the SW corner of Main St and Sirrine St. (now Centennial Way)

Also, who remembers when Tex Earnhart used to have the Diving Mules periodically at his one and only dealership at the time in Chandler? I believe the practice is now banned in Arizona now?

YouTube - Smokey The Diving Mule

Last edited by desertratz; 05-15-2011 at 10:48 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:09 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,635,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Roosevelt, do your phone books show the Edsel dealer in Mesa? I remember them as a kid and they were on the SW corner of Main St and Sirrine St. (now Centennial Way)
Was it Smiley-Berge? 255 W. Main.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I almost forgot about Chandler Dodge where I bought my first new truck, a 1972 Dodge Power Wagon.

Francis Becker was the owner and he sold all his trucks at $200 over invoice which was unheard of at the time. He sold so many Dodge trucks that Chrysler corporation gave him #1 priority west of the Mississippi. If he needed trucks, they would let other dealers twist in the wind to supply Chandler Dodge.

My friends dad was the maintenance manager for Chandler Dodge and Francis Becker kept two or three mechanics busy doing nothing but restoring old Chrysler products. He had a collection of several hundred, some of which Chrysler didn't have in their collection and they were always bugging him to sell.
"Drive a little - Save a lot at the oldest Dodge dealership in the valley."
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc02822.jpg

Old 05-15-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Was it Smiley-Berge? 255 W. Main.
Smiley-Berge is now Berge Ford/Mazda/Volkswagen. I do remember them also, but the Edsel dealer's address would be something like 55 - 99 E main St. (odd number)

Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Smiley-Berge is now Berge Ford/Mazda/Volkswagen. I do remember them also, but the Edsel dealer's address would be something like 55 - 99 E main St. (odd number)
Bud Pritchard Motors
63 E. Main..........

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Bud Pritchard Motors
63 E. Main..........
YES!!!

Mrs. Pritchard was one of my grade school teachers. I had totally forgotten the fact that her husband was the Edsel dealer. Poor guy!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Will all this car talk, here is a picture that will bring back memories of the good old days in 1970 but there is another picture if you click on 'related image' and gas is only 33 cents so maybe the date is off; it is mislabeled Phoenix, it is Tucson but reminds me of Phoenix because a lot of the same businesses were here too. Be sure to click on image to enlarge, it will fill your screen.

If any of you were around in the 50's and 60's you will flip when you see the following pictures of downtown Phoenix:
Washington Street
Central Avenue

Last edited by roosevelt; 05-15-2011 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Will all this car talk, here is a picture that will bring back memories of the good old days in 1970 but there is another picture if you click on 'related image' and gas is only 33 cents so maybe the date is off; it is mislabeled Phoenix, it is Tucson but reminds me of Phoenix because a lot of the same businesses were here too. Be sure to click on image to enlarge, it will fill your screen.

If any of you were around in the 50's and 60's you will flip when you see the following pictures of downtown Phoenix:
Washington Street
Central Avenue
Last shot at the car dealer question. Does anyone remember the the name of the Willys Overland Dealer on East Washington St? It was located on the south side of the road between 44th and 48th streets roughly where the 143 Hohokam crosses it now. I remember the place, but not the name.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Last shot at the car dealer question. Does anyone remember the the name of the Willys Overland Dealer on East Washington St? It was located on the south side of the road between 44th and 48th streets roughly where the 143 Hohokam crosses it now. I remember the place, but not the name.
Tovrea Equipment Co., 4605 E. Washington

Later it was Ray Korte Kaiser - Willys on Van Buren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area