Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times

Advertisements

I remember back when Phoenix was actually a nice place to live. People from other parts of the country envied you when you said that you lived in Phoenix. That was another time, now long past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:31 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
I remember back when Phoenix was actually a nice place to live. People from other parts of the country envied you when you said that you lived in Phoenix. That was another time, now long past.
Not entirely-- that's just an opinion. And, this really isn't the thread for posts like this. Plenty of others to use to complain.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:20 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Reading the posts of Park Central and the Pub got me searching for more information. I noticed no mention of the Old Woman and the Shoe Nursery.

I vaguely remember the large shoe at the east entrance (Central Ave side?).

Anyone?
Couldn't find this one but ran across some other neat names of 50's nurseries: Aunt Ann's, Ding Dong, Doll House, Humpty Dumptyville, Mother Goose, Lil' Cowpokes, We Have Fun, Wee Ann, Little Boy Blue, Stay-N-Play, Tiny Tot, Toddle Town, Wilkie's Kookie Krumblers!

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 PM

220 posts, read 656,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraba View Post
I remember Phoenix when I was around 10 years old--had to be mid Fifties---My cousins and my sister and I would walk downtown to a movie theater--cant remember the name--but we could get in for the top of a milk carton--and during intermission we watched The Everly Brothers and Wayne Newton sing on stage--They were in their teens at that time also--It was the Lew King Show. We would follow the canal downtown--I remember visiting the capital Building and actually talking to Barry Goldwater --we didnt worry about crime--there didnt seem to be any --it wasnt really a big town them-or didnt seem to be yo us.
Wasn't this The Fox Theater?...Mother used to drop me off for Saturday Cartoons, and in the mix was Lew King's Talent Show. I remember Maxine Johnson and Wayne and Jerry Newton....then one day Jerry's voice changed and Wayne was on his own. Some say Wayne's voice never changed.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 PM

220 posts, read 656,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not entirely-- that's just an opinion. And, this really isn't the thread for posts like this. Plenty of others to use to complain.
Moderator...I love how you handled this. I was born here and very protective of my native state. Recently I stood in line behind some transplant who complained about the traffic, the heat, the rude people. She was from OH, and I politely asked her why she just didn't move back there.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,142,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoslist View Post
wallace and ladmo!!!!!! remember when the 60 would end on gilbert road then on power road ?? if you live in mesa you know what i mean,,!! to get to chandler you had to travel thru dirt road
The 60, as in Apache Blvd, or as its new location? For a while as the Superstition Freeway it was AZ 360. My first "freeway" driving experience was on "The Chicken", for its length of about 4 miles; it ran from the I-10 east past Priest, Rural and McClintock and ended at Price.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 AM

283 posts, read 880,848 times
My brother and I every September 1st would head out to the area of Williams Field Road (Chandler Blvd) between what would be 48th and 56th St. to go dove hunting. There were no homes except for some far flung farm houses, it was mostly sorghum stubble fields. The doves would fly in from the mesquite bosques on the reservation to feed in the fields and we would heading home by 8:00 with our limit. I-10 and Ahwatukee weren't even thought of at that time.

In high school, we would drive to the western most end of Williams Field Rd and then follow some dirt tracks behind South Mountain by the International Harvester proving grounds on the south slope of the mountain. We would explore old mine tunnels and their vertical connecting shafts. Some of us had 4 wheel drives and we would drive around through the desert on the eastern slope in what is now Ahwatukee. Most of the roads around the Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert areas were either dirt or narrow 2 lane concrete, and I mean narrow!

We would on occasion, head south to the San Tans and visit the old hermit prospector, Mansel Carter, that lived back there. His partner had died a few years earlier and even though he was getting up there in age, he was still doing some mining on his own. He was a jovial old guy and seemed to enjoy our visits and we all called him Mr Carter which he said wasn't necessary, but he didn't fight it too much and seemed to like deference. I took my youngest daughter up to meet him in 1987 only to find that he had died 3 weeks earlier. Another bit of my youth and Arizona history was gone.

See Mansel Carter links below.

Queen Creek : Man of the Mountain

Bushducks

Old 05-11-2011, 10:46 AM

34 posts, read 89,846 times
I miss Compton Terrace, anyone remember that venue? I saw Phish there back in the 90's... LOL

Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM

34 posts, read 89,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryada View Post

Ahh.. the Barkley days

Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,624,616 times
Here is a place I never heard of because Bell Road may as well been on the moon in 1950's. Interesting place, lumber, hardware store, and all you could eat (one dollar) for lunch and even a motel. Looks like their dance floor was outside on the dirt. The only time my uncle used Bell Road is when he went to Prescott from Scottsdale.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-capture.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area