Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,702,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was some discussion in the past about the lone restaurant up on north Central below the canal that has gone through so many name changes. I knew it as the Arbor Steak House back in the 60's but ran across a menu and matchbook cover that must be the original name, Erbyderby's owned by a jockey. Anyone know?
Attachment 82695
I've always known that location as "Top of Central or On Top of Central".
In fact it's currently a Dillons (sports bar) and is called Dillons -On Top of Central.

It used to be a pretty swanky night spot with way cool diamond -tuck horseshoe shaped booths (stiil there) and always had live music (cool jazz daddy-o)
They still have the big outdoor patio that you could rent for private parties and especially weddings. It backs up against the Arizona Canal just south of Dunlap.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-screen-shot-2011-07-25-12.33.33   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-screen-shot-2011-07-25-12.42.24  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
I've always known that location as "Top of Central or On Top of Central".
In fact it's currently a Dillons (sports bar) and is called Dillons -On Top of Central.

It used to be a pretty swanky night spot with way cool diamond -tuck horseshoe shaped booths (stiil there) and always had live music (cool jazz daddy-o)
They still have the big outdoor patio that you could rent for private parties and especially weddings. It backs up against the Arizona Canal just south of Dunlap.
If they have horseshoe shaped original booths then the first restaurant must be Erbyderby's built by the jockey Dave Erb or someone using his name; he won the Kentucky Derby in 1956 on a horse named Needles. The menu I have is as large as a newspaper; I can imagine what a table must of looked like with 4 people all holding up one, 18X28 inches. Prices were pretty high for the time.

Last edited by roosevelt; 07-25-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 05:10 PM

283 posts, read 881,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
The photo posted on the previous page showing Sky Harbor from 36th Street looking SW appears accurate to me as well. Im just not sure which side of the street the main buildings of Garrett Turbine were on. I wanna say they were north of Airlane Dr. SluggoF16 probably remembers also.
The buildings in the picture I posted are on the south side of Airlane and as a former Garrett employee, I worked in those buildings at one time. The narrow and long building next to the corner of the new construction is a building where they had their heat treat facility. The Garret facilities on the north side of Airlane came at a later date and were primarily assembly areas and test cells.

Garrett opened their Phoenix facility during WWII because in 1942, the Army Air Forces concluded that vital cabin pressurization manufacturing facilities should be relocated inland from the coast. Garrett manufactured intercoolers for the B-17 and B-25 as well as the cabin pressure units for the B-29 at this facility. After the war they turned their attention to the small turbine market.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Anyone want to take a stab at which town this is. The sign says Phoenix 54 (miles) and looks 1940's. Maybe Wickenburg?

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-howards.jpg

Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM

285 posts, read 906,218 times
Quote:
Anyone want to take a stab at which town this is. The sign says Phoenix 54 (miles) and looks 1940's. Maybe Wickenburg?

Attachment 82806
I will go with Superior.
The mileage fits and the mountain in the background doesn't seem to fit with Wickenburg.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 PM

111 posts, read 339,411 times
Globe or Miami?
It's 29? miles from a two-word place. I tried to make it out, but could not.
Cave Creek/Queen Creek? I don't think so.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 PM

201 posts, read 546,004 times
Ill go with Superior also. Hard to tell. I dont think its Wickenburg either.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 PM

111 posts, read 339,411 times
In our haste, we did not notice the UFO to the left of the pole in the photo. Obviously, this was one of Professor Roosevelt's trick questions in response to our recently getting so many of the correct answers. Well, there goes the curve for the grades!

Old 07-26-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
In our haste, we did not notice the UFO to the left of the pole in the photo. Obviously, this was one of Professor Roosevelt's trick questions in response to our recently getting so many of the correct answers. Well, there goes the curve for the grades!
Flying saucer? That's a street light with a shade hanging from an electrical wire. I wish the photo was sharper, the second town on the sign could say Los Angeles 250?. Quartzsite? Too far to Phoenix. Back in the day, Kodak sold box cameras cheap and people wasted a lot of money on fuzzy photos.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-howard.jpg

By the way, a ChrisTown fan site on Facebook is going crazy with people posting, maybe we should invite them over here

Last edited by roosevelt; 07-26-2011 at 03:38 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 07:08 AM

24,328 posts, read 13,183,640 times
Quote:
Flying saucer? That's a street light with a shade hanging from an electrical wire. I wish the photo was sharper, the second town on the sign could say Los Angeles 250?.
It could be Los Angeles 350, which would make it near Wickenburg. Since US 60 USED to go all the way to LA it would be on the way, and it's 53 miles from downtown Wickenburg to downtown Phoenix via 60 and Grand Avenue. It wasn't so long ago that Wickenburg was the way to get to LA from PHX (until mid 70s), did that 1973 on a family trip to LA and San Diego.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-26-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area