Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 07:23 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
It was officially called South Phoenix when it was still unincorporated.
So those names were used prior to incorporation too? We moved to South Phoenix just prior to annexation and I remember it being called South Phoenix but I always thought it was just a designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
So those names were used prior to incorporation too? We moved to South Phoenix just prior to annexation and I remember it being called South Phoenix but I always thought it was just a designation.
I have visual proof, probably 1940? If they made a street sign must be the right name.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-south-phoenix-unincorp.jpg

Old 07-18-2011, 08:42 PM

201 posts, read 544,817 times
Did the Encanto area receive a city special designation? I would assume they did as it was one of the first areas developed. I guess we could add Moon Valley to the list as it too was just an area not a subsurb in its own way with city designation.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Whilst searching for a map showing South Phoenix as a name, I came across an interesting find concerning Goodyear and am posting this, hoping a longtime resident here can answer...
A 1935 Arizona road map and a 1938 Rand McNally show Goodyear located east of the Gila River Ind. Comm., southeast of Phoenix, near Chandler off of then Hwy 87. Present day maps locate the city east of Buckeye/west of Phoenix on I-10. Outside of the Goodyear Rubber Co connection, are these two Goodyears the same town, moved for perhaps economical reasons?

http://www.arizonaroads.com/maps/1935-3.jpg

http://www.arizonaroads.com/maps/1938-3.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-goodyear-1938-location.jpg  

Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
"South Phoenix" was just a designation, in the sense that it was never incorporated as such. Encanto is one of the "urban villages" now, but I don't think it ever had any earlier separate designation.

About Goodyear... yes, there was some discussion about that several pages upthread. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM

124 posts, read 318,335 times
Moderator cut: copyright issues - please post links instead of copying from websites

It's always interesting to learn how Valley sites compare with the rest of the country and world in various aspects. I've visited all but the Hall of Flame. I still hope to get there someday.

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-19-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: copyright issues - please post links, don't just copy websites.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Many of the urban villages have names that preceded the village concept but often the boundaries are different than you would think. People clearly do not identify with those names unless they existed prior to the villages and apply to where they live in common conversation. For example, I live in the Encanto village, but would never tell anyone that. (I live in Willo, Encanto is across 7th Ave...) Years ago I lived in the Paradise Valley village. I was the chairman of the Village Planning Committee. People there do often think of themselves as living in Paradise Valley (or sometimes, unfortunately, Scottsdale). The name, however, existed for years before the villages were created. It was called Paradise Valley long before there was a PV Village (or a Town of PV, for that matter, they stole the name).

Old 07-19-2011, 01:33 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default Scorpion Gulch

[quote=Here is a postcard of Scorpion Gulch[, not as impressive as the mystery castle but interesting.[/QUOTE]

Heres a recent shot - yes its still there.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-gultch1.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,758 times
Default Frank / Frannie Bennet

No takers?

OK well maybe it is a bit obscure but since I brought it up...
Frank Bennett, formerly of KCAC in now Fran /Frannie Bennett.

nuff said.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-fran-bennett-then-now.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 04:27 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Years ago I lived in the Paradise Valley village. I was the chairman of the Village Planning Committee. People there do often think of themselves as living in Paradise Valley (or sometimes, unfortunately, Scottsdale). The name, however, existed for years before the villages were created. It was called Paradise Valley long before there was a PV Village (or a Town of PV, for that matter, they stole the name).

from wikipedia:

(the Town of PV) should not be confused with Paradise Valley Village, an official municipal designation, in northeast Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Arizona. For instance, Paradise Valley Community College, Paradise Valley High School, Paradise Valley Hospital, Paradise Valley Mall, and Paradise Valley Golf Course are all located several miles to the north of the town, in Phoenix. The town's name along with all the other various entities bearing the same name comes from the expansive area known as Paradise Valley, that spreads from north of the Phoenix mountains to Cave Creek & Carefree on the north and the McDowell Mountains to the east.

and the origin of the name "Paradise Valley" in the first place is from an early 1900s attempt to bring Verde River water to what is now that part of the City of Phoenix and N Scottsdale to irrigate the land and turn it into an agricultural "paradise".....remnants of the Verde Canal are still visible here and there between Taliesin and the Desert Ridge area near the CAP canal....years ago, before development, the old canal appeared to be just a low vague ditch a few feet wide with much, much mesquite/palo verde growth along its edges due to water puddling there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area