Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 01:11 PM

7,187 posts, read 9,247,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Armstrong View Post
Hey, I remember when Sky Harbor was a grass strip and my first husband flew in and out..... with a Cessna.

Now, I must admit I am aging well......71 but all is very clear. That was in 1961..

You may be young enough to not believe anyone 71 can remember so far back.

I now live in an area Roanoke, Va. that has a wonderful small airport much the same as then. Well it does have a long runway that will take jets etc.
Are you saying Sky Harbor was a grass strip in '61? Or am I misreading? We didn't move here til '65 but I think Sky Harbor was already an international airport. I know the runways were tarmac and could see jets taking off and landing then.

Last edited by locolobo13; 07-16-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:43 PM

124 posts, read 318,603 times
Does anyone remember a nightclub called the Devil's Den? I was only there once with a friend who liked to go there to dance. All I remember is that it was VERY dark inside.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 PM

283 posts, read 881,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Some popular Valley residents (past and present):
Also: Ben "Son" Johnson, Jr. (June 13, 1918 – April 8, 1996) was an American motion picture actor who was mainly cast in Westerns. He lived in east Mesa in Leisure World, a retirement community. I used to see him quite frequently at Home Depot and other stores in the area.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Also: Ben "Son" Johnson, Jr. (June 13, 1918 – April 8, 1996) was an American motion picture actor who was mainly cast in Westerns. He lived in east Mesa in Leisure World, a retirement community. I used to see him quite frequently at Home Depot and other stores in the area.
He was in a lot of John Wayne movies. As a huge John Wayne fan, that's how I became a Ben Johnson fan also. I wasn't aware he lived in the Valley though. That's neat.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Are you saying Sky Harbor was a grass strip in '61? Or am I misreading? We didn't move here til '65 but I think Sky Harbor was already an international airport. I know the runways were tarmac and could see jets taking off and landing then.
Back in the 1930's, the Airport had one runway.

Phoenix Sky Harbor began emerging as one of the nation's major passenger airports in 1952 with the opening of Terminal 1. Built at a cost of $835,000, Terminal 1 was among the most modern and efficient passenger terminals of its time.

Terminal 2 opened in 1962, the year Sky Harbor surpassed the one million passenger mark.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 PM

285 posts, read 905,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Some popular Valley residents (past and present):

Steven Spielberg's family moved to Scottsdale when he was a young boy.--I've seen most of his movies. The first was a TV show about a man who was harrassed by a diesel truck whose driver you never saw. Can't remember the name but it was very intense.
You're thinking of "Duel".
Dennis Weaver as the driver (victim) and Carey Loftin as the Truck Driver (though never seen). Some of Spielbergs early work was filmed in Papago Park with the help of friends and family members. He would splice in scenes from stock prefilmed 8mm film purchased at places like Thrifty Drugs. I do remember seeing the stock film offered at Thriftys for purchase. I believe TG&Y offered it as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
You're thinking of "Duel".
Dennis Weaver as the driver (victim) and Carey Loftin as the Truck Driver (though never seen). Some of Spielbergs early work was filmed in Papago Park with the help of friends and family members. He would splice in scenes from stock prefilmed 8mm film purchased at places like Thrifty Drugs. I do remember seeing the stock film offered at Thriftys for purchase. I believe TG&Y offered it as well.
Thank you. I remembered that the name was simple but just couldn't remember it. That film demonstrated Spielberg's prowess early on.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Mr. Lucky's, the King of Clubs, fun place. As a student at ASU I preferred the grittier Hammerheads, O'Tooles' and of course everyone's favorite, Minder Binders. A matter of economics. It was hard to walk away from $1 pitchers and "Burger Madness".
Oh yes Minder Binders...have vague recollections of it...probably because of their huge mugs of wine cooler! It really was a fun place...loud, crowded...sounds like I'd hate it these days. lol

Last edited by trillcatz; 07-16-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickazphx View Post
Directly in front, no. There was a Long John Silver's at the corner of Indian School, just south of it.

There was(I think still is) a funeral home at the northwest corner of 40th St & Indian School, but I don't recall such a bar/club in that vicinity in the past 20 years at least.

No, I think it was the Monastary and the rest was probably a figment of my '70's imagination.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
We arrived in Phoenix from Oakland, CA in '60 (I believe) and I remember walking across the tarmac...no jetways back then but there was blacktop. During those days you dressed up to fly...I had on maryjanes w/ lace top anklets, a dress, gloves and a hat...I was 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area