Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 12:39 PM

283 posts, read 880,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Did the state ever blow up the Blue Point rock wall where every year someone would become a para- or quadriplegic diving off into the river? There was talk of that when I was in HS in the 70s. Merely fencing it off wasn't sufficient.

It was mentioned earlier, but during the summer, and especially Memorial and Independence Day weekends, there was a near continuous stream out-and-back of DPS and medivac helicopters from the rivers to the local hospitals.
They did eventually dynamite the rock by Blue Point bridge so it was impossible to jump off. Most of the jumpers moved further downstream to the mud cliffs about half-way to Coon Bluff. Accidents were greatly reduced except for the occasional idiot jumping and landing on a passing tuber. What continues to amaze me is the number of people who can't swim and get into the river. You really can't fix stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
They did eventually dynamite the rock by Blue Point bridge so it was impossible to jump off. Most of the jumpers moved further downstream to the mud cliffs about half-way to Coon Bluff. Accidents were greatly reduced except for the occasional idiot jumping and landing on a passing tuber. What continues to amaze me is the number of people who can't swim and get into the river. You really can't fix stupid!
Darwin would argue that you CAN fix stupid.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:29 PM

88 posts, read 273,155 times
Speaking of stupid, I missed but one day of college from being ill (missed many days from being sick of school). It was a Monday in September, and some friends had talked me into tubing the Salt the day before. I hadn't been out all summer, and I fried my legs. The beer kept most of the pain away on Sunday, but Monday morning, I took about 3 steps out of bed and collapsed on the floor. I swear you could read a book by the glow of my legs. I peeled 4 times over the next few days, and 3 years later, you could still see the tan/burn line on my legs. That was probably the dumbest thing I ever did. Which reminds me, time for another physical exam and skin cancer check.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 477,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learicalAZ View Post
Speaking of stupid, I missed but one day of college from being ill (missed many days from being sick of school). It was a Monday in September, and some friends had talked me into tubing the Salt the day before. I hadn't been out all summer, and I fried my legs. The beer kept most of the pain away on Sunday, but Monday morning, I took about 3 steps out of bed and collapsed on the floor. I swear you could read a book by the glow of my legs. I peeled 4 times over the next few days, and 3 years later, you could still see the tan/burn line on my legs. That was probably the dumbest thing I ever did. Which reminds me, time for another physical exam and skin cancer check.
Tubing on the Salt was a rite of passage as a high schooler in the valley. Many a time there we would be floating along and a sheriff's posse inflatable boat would come past us, pulling divers in the water searching for a body. Being invincible teenagers,we kinda looked at eachother and shrugged and hid the beers. The best place to do cliff jumping was at Canyon Lake by the bridge. It was HIGH but the water was deep so nobody got hurt and nobody cared. I remember the smell off the water and the smell of the coppertone suntan lotion on the girls. The Beismeyer boats with inboard engine and wet headers and the metalflake painted hulls. The name of the beach there at Canyon was Beismeyer Beach for all those beautiful boats.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
One thing that hasn't really changed in this valley is tubing down the Salt River in the summertime. I first remember tubing with my parents and their friends when I was a kid in the late 50's. When I was in high school in the late 60's, my friends and I would load up the trucks with tubes and away we would go for an all day excursion of sunburning and illicit, underage beer drinking. We would start just below the dam, well above where everyone starts today, and we'd float all the way to Granite Reef Dam. This was way before they had the buses and tube rentals that they have today and the sheriff's office rarely made an appearance.

I remember one time on the return trip to pick up the 2nd truck upstream, my friend Lowell, who was sitting on the tailgate fell off as we started up an incline on the old dirt Bush Highway. All of us in the back were yelling and pounding on the cab to stop and the people inside thought we were just cutting up and kept going. After a mile or so we finally got them to stop and go back. There was Lowell sitting by the side of the road waiting for us, none the worse for wear except for a few scrapes and bruises.

They have buses and tube rentals!!! To float the Salt? Serious! Wow how things have changed. Spring fever in high school was just as you described it...we couldn't have afforded tube rentals or to take a bus...we piled into a car, generally mine and everyone just anted up for the gas and the refreshments but then again gas was less than $0.30 per gallon.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
They have buses and tube rentals!!! To float the Salt? Serious! Wow how things have changed.
gee, trill, you haven't been up there in a while, eh??!!!!

that's been going on for many years!

http://www.saltrivertubing.com/

but I did drive by it recently after many years and they have it all organized now....upgraded parking areas, rules signs, numbered launch areas or something, the whole bit....

I remember in the old days (70s), we'd be pretty much on our own....buy tubes at some gas station in town, clamber down to just below the dam to start, get caught in some snags and try to rescue the kid who went under as a result, take the wrong fork and have to scramble back to the main channel....I remember how far voices would carry, too, on that water

Old 04-30-2011, 08:08 PM

214 posts, read 646,820 times
Lived here all my life and never tubed down the Salt. That much water and me, just don't get along.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

Salt River Tubing and Recreation - Arizona's Floating Picnic!

but I did drive by it recently after many years and they have it all organized now....upgraded parking areas, rules signs, numbered launch areas or something, the whole bit....

I remember in the old days (70s), we'd be pretty much on our own....buy tubes at some gas station in town, clamber down to just below the dam to start, get caught in some snags and try to rescue the kid who went under as a result, take the wrong fork and have to scramble back to the main channel....I remember how far voices would carry, too, on that water
I graduated HS in '71 so I'm guessing it's been since then. I left Phoenix in '77 and really didn't get back til last year. Phoenix is a beautiful city but unfortunately it's not my city anymore. In the old days, like many others I'm sure, if you gave me an intersection I could tell you what was on all four corners...now I just look around in amazement and wonder where the heck I am. It just reconfirms that one can't go back.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

Salt River Tubing and Recreation - Arizona's Floating Picnic!

LOL sounds like we were on the same float trips but I was done by about '71. It looks like the float operation covers everything...we would have loved something like that as kids...

Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 AM

14 posts, read 37,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
Lived here all my life and never tubed down the Salt. That much water and me, just don't get along.
Planning a river float in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area