Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM

201 posts, read 545,466 times

Advertisements

Almost forgot Richard Elliott and Rick Braun.... If we ever got them to play Phoenix again I would fly there again. Enjoy!

YouTube - Rick Braun - Nightwalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 PM

427 posts, read 1,187,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
OMG !!! The stockyards smell on East Washington was horrible!!! I dont know what was worse, the stockyards smeel or the trash dump smell on the "BIG CURVE" of I-17 down south.They cleaned the dump smell up a bit in the late 19770s but still was quite horrible afterwards.
Back in the "old days" I-17 didn't go that far. The dump was on the back side of the airport...maybe 40th or 44th St??? The smell was horrible...there was the same old guy manning the dump...year after year...I always thought he lived there. Now the airport appears to go considerably beyond that point. As a kid it was always a cool thing to be able to go to the dump and see all of the old junk.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 AM

59 posts, read 194,777 times
Quote:
OMG !!! The stockyards smell on East Washington was horrible!!! I dont know what was worse, the stockyards smeel or the trash dump smell on the "BIG CURVE" of I-17 down south.They cleaned the dump smell up a bit in the late 19770s but still was quite horrible afterwards.
Hmmm, by the "BIG CURVE" of I-17, I assume you mean the Durango curve at 22 nd Ave. And that smell wasn't from the dump , that smell was from the water treatment plant just south of Durango that runs all the way down to Lower Buckeye rd.

As for which was worse , well that's a pretty fine hair to split. P.U.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 PM

285 posts, read 905,223 times
Speaking of smells, there was an aroma that would waft up north that my sisters would say was coming from the APS plant at Rural and University. We're talking late 60's/early 70's, well before scrubbers.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Speaking of smells, there was an aroma that would waft up north that my sisters would say was coming from the APS plant at Rural and University. We're talking late 60's/early 70's, well before scrubbers.
Ah, smells. There were onion fields just west of Sunnyslope in the 60's about 19th Avenue and Hatcher; boy did they ever smell. Let's not forget Arnold's pickle works on east Van Buren.

My dad worked at the parts dept. of International Harvester in the 40's, right next to Rainbo Bakery on Van Buren; I thought grease smelled so great until I discovered where the smell was coming from.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:48 PM

285 posts, read 905,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Ah, smells. There were onion fields just west of Sunnyslope in the 60's about 19th Avenue and Hatcher; boy did they ever smell. Let's not forget Arnold's pickle works on east Van Buren.
I miss that smell!
Walking down VB with the vats of cucumbers doing what vats of cucumbers do before they are pickles at Arnolds, just over a chain link fence.

Arnolds and the Rainbo bakery have/had the best in aromatic memory.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 AM

111 posts, read 339,060 times
I like Arnold's Pickles.
You'll like Arnold's too.
The only thing that's better than an Arnold's Pickle
Is two.

Who were the Arnolds? Is there an interesting story there? What became of them?

Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
I like Arnold's Pickles.
Is two.

Arnolds was on Van Buren and 14th Street. The vats were elevated and near the sidewalk all along the street. Here is an article giving a brief history.

Rainbo used to give grocery stores a promotional metal push bar for their screen doors (before air conditioners, screen doors kind of kept the flies out) and today they bring a lot of money if you can find one. The bakery went out of business after being shut down during a strike but Holsum settled.

Speaking of flies, all the drug stores had a small entrance outside their door with an old overhead fan running all the time to blow flies away. Lots of flies back then because of all the farming, chickens and livestock all over Phoenix plus lots of people had horses in their backyards within a few blocks from downtown.

Last edited by roosevelt; 04-19-2011 at 06:46 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM

283 posts, read 881,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
I like Arnold's Pickles.
Is two.

Here's what happened to Arnold's Pickles. They are still around, just not in name.

About Kleins Pickles, Phoenix Pickle Farm, Kosher Pickles, Pickle Spears, Phoenix Pickle Chips, Pickle Slabs, Arizona Pickles, P

Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,701,101 times
Default Holsum Bread Bakery

Quote:
Is the Holsum Bread Bakery still in Phoenix? We used to drive by it and the smell of fresh baked bread filled the air. The best things in life are still free. I was thinking Hostess had a bakery there also to make snack cakes etc. I know we used to shop at some of their bakery thrft shops for Twinkees and twin pack Devil Cup Cakes. A glass of milk and a Hostess Cup Cakes. mmmmm : )
According to the AZ Business Journal 4/15/2011. The Holsum Bakery is the 6th oldest business in Az. Established in 1884.
2322 W Lincoln St.

Edward Eisele bought the bakery in 1884 for $300 after working there for 3 years.

go here to read all about it and see some cool old pix: www.holsumaz.com - Home
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-holsum-bread-bakery-07.jpg  

Last edited by Westside Willie; 04-19-2011 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: bad info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area