Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 PM

201 posts, read 546,004 times

Advertisements

The Spaghetti Company on Central Ave near McDowell Rd. for dinner. They had good spaghetti and meatballs. Its the restaurant that had the street car inside that you could sit in and dine. The other Spaghetti Company location was in Tempe on Mill Ave just south of the Salt River bridge crossing and AWA flight reservations center. Great food !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 PM

24,328 posts, read 13,183,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
The Spaghetti Company on Central Ave near McDowell Rd. for dinner. They had good spaghetti and meatballs. Its the restaurant that had the street car inside that you could sit in and dine. The other Spaghetti Company location was in Tempe on Mill Ave just south of the Salt River bridge crossing and AWA flight reservations center. Great food !!
There was a third up on Scottsdale, I think it was by Lincoln. After a dvorce it went away in the 90s. They were about the only place I've ever seen a menu include mizithra cheese, one of those things you have to look up just to see if they're not making it up. The one on Mill had the Upstairs Pub with college-student priced pitchers. Good for an after-class chemistry lab.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-14-2011 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 PM

362 posts, read 1,702,359 times
Default Toms Taverm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
It isn't exactly a landmark, in name only at a different location.
Heres another shot from 1952 showing Toms in the background. This apparently is a Shriners car wash parade thinghy or something like that.

If you look very closely you can see that sometime between the 1940's and 1952, Toms switched from an Coors point-of -sale sign (hanging just below the TAVERN) , to A-1, which I believe was brewed here locally.

So exactly where was the original location Roosevelt?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-shriner-parade-1952-toms-tavern.jpg  

Old 07-14-2011, 02:06 PM

88 posts, read 273,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
anyone recall listening to Toad Hall and Wonderful Russ on KDKB?

Toad Hall mornings on KDKB. I'd listen as I commuted from Maryvale to ASU 74-77. I recall a show where Toad was showing (on the radio) slides of his recent vacation. Toad was spokesperson for "Arizona Audio". After "Arizona Audio" closed, I don't recall seeing or hearing much about Toad Hall after that.
Wonderful Russ (i.e. Russell Shaw, John Hall and Associates) was a gubernatorial candidate for a failed recall attempt on 'one-eyed' Jack Williams. His campaign manager was Bob 'Boze' Bell, at that time best known as a cartoonist for the Razz Review, and maybe the New Times? (Honky-Tonk Sue and Doper-Roper are probably his most famous characters). Bell later co-chaired the morning show on KSLX 100.7FM, and Wonderful Russ was a frequent guest.

Last edited by learicalAZ; 07-14-2011 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Finally remembered Doper-Roper's name

Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres another shot from 1952 showing Toms in the background. This apparently is a Shriners car wash parade thinghy or something like that.

If you look very closely you can see that sometime between the 1940's and 1952, Toms switched from an Coors point-of -sale sign (hanging just below the TAVERN) , to A-1, which I believe was brewed here locally.

According to this story, Tom's Tavern owner dies | Phoenix Business Journal

136 W. Adams, and changed hands few times after that, moved to current location in 1988.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,893,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
I've been there numerous times in the past and it is a very good place to get good spaghetti and meatballs, plus other good dishes.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM

24,328 posts, read 13,183,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post

A-1 was one of the sponsors of the KTAR 620 radio broadcasts for the Suns in the early 70s, used to hear Al McCoy talking it up. In 1982 I brought a 6-pack to Enid, OK for a hometown beer comparison among my pilot training class. A-1 was declared 4-F. It was, along with Carling Black Label, a cheap, bottom-of-the-shelf beer, less than $1.50 a six pack at Rundle's.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 07-14-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 04:51 PM

427 posts, read 1,188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Chess King. Hadn't thought of them in years. I think I sold them ad space in our high school newspaper...
LOL me either...I think I bought my first 'fancy pants' there...Britannia Jeans. It's amazing what forgotten things come up on this forum.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Arizona Cardinals owners buy Tom’s Tavern in downtown Phoenix
February 2, 2011

Tom’s Tavern, a landmark downtown Phoenix restaurant that had been on the brink of closing, has a new owner dedicated to keeping it open and preserving its identity.
I attended business luncheons/meetings here occasionally while working at Mountain Bell in the 60's and early 70's. It was historic then and I'm so glad it was purchased rather than allowed to close.
In the late 60's or early 70's I remember shooting pool there in the back room. And if I remember correctly they had a fabulous antique wood long bar with a mirrored back. Beautiful piece!

Last edited by trillcatz; 07-14-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
AZ 85, which also passes through the metropli of Ajo and Why. Other than that it's one lonely highway from Lukeville to The Bend. Notably it bisects the BMGR, where I spent a good chunk of time overhead. If you've driven that road you see signs like this, and every year we'd have intrusions into the impact areas... is this Darwinism?

My father in law has a 67 Galaxie on his farm in the pasture, unfortunately it's now used as a storage bin for junk. Rodent-infested, rusted-out, and full of tractor parts, I'm sure it was once a beauty.

Yes, I remember Ajo (we always called it aa-jo instead of ah-ho don't know why). What is BMGR? Maybe all of the '67 Galaxies are lost in fields somewhere and that's why I don't see them at car shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area