Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM

201 posts, read 545,105 times

Advertisements

Several of Frank Lloyd Wrights designs are evident in Phoenix. The Arizona Biltmore Shopping Center, Grady Gammage Auditorium etc... For those interested there are several resources that detail his contributions to Phoenix architecture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Several of Frank Lloyd Wrights designs are evident in Phoenix. The Arizona Biltmore Shopping Center, Grady Gammage Auditorium etc... For those interested there are several resources that detail his contributions to Phoenix architecture.
I think you mean the Arizona Biltmore Hotel, not the Biltmore Fashion Park. http://architecture.about.com/librar...st.htm#Arizona

Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Yes Mod. Thx. Your right. I meant Arizona Biltmore Hotel rather than Biltmore Shopping Plaza. Not sure who designed the Biltmore plaza. Any idea?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM

I don't... That's been done in so many stages that I'm not sure it matters.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, I was the first to get in the place before the sale started. There was also an old pool table, highly carved down in the bedroom. The widow had a very large stamp collection her husband formed; one night thieves walked in and stole it; I think it may have affected her mind after that. She only wore black dresses; there must have been hundreds of them in the upper floors.

Here is a postcard of Scorpion Gulch, not as impressive as the mystery castle but interesting.

Attachment 82539
I do remember the trading post. We used to love to go over there as kids...all kinds of strange stuff inside...mainly typical tourist stuff but pretty interesting to a 7-8 year old. Remember the old "poo-poo pads"? I remember my friend getting one at the Trading Post. I think I got a hand buzzer. The old folks that ran it always had penny candy that we'd buy and were nice to us and I don't think they ever ran us off. Cold pop in a chest type soda cooler too...ice cold. If there was nothing else to do on a hot summer day we'd walk or ride our bikes up there...keep in mind back then there was really nothing in far south Phoenix other than the Circle K at Central and Euclid...I believe Circle K was there before Euclid was. Anyway...it was either the Trading Post or Circle K and the Trading Post was much more fun! Thanks for posting the photo...brought back a lot of memories!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Hey Roosevelt... where is Scorpion Gulch?? Never heard of it?
Just before the entrance to South Mountain Park on S. Central. I saw it last year and it's in ruins. Fun place to go as a child.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM

I found this on wiki and wondered what's up...are these 'designations' new or very old? I never remember south Phoenix being called anything but South Phoenix or Southside. Could/would someone shed some light on this. Thanks.

South Phoenix, also known as the South Mountain Village, South Mountain District or SoMo, is a neighborhood in Phoenix, Arizona. It has the boundaries of 27th Avenue to the west, 48th Sreet (Phoenix/Tempe Border) to the east, the Salt River to the north and South Mountain Park to the south.[1] Major arterial east-west streets include Broadway Road, Southern Avenue, and Baseline Road, all of which connect South Phoenix with the suburb of Tempe.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:57 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
I found this on wiki and wondered what's up...are these 'designations' new or very old? I never remember south Phoenix being called anything but South Phoenix or Southside. Could/would someone shed some light on this. Thanks.

South Phoenix, also known as the South Mountain Village, South Mountain District or SoMo, is a neighborhood in Phoenix, Arizona. It has the boundaries of 27th Avenue to the west, 48th Sreet (Phoenix/Tempe Border) to the east, the Salt River to the north and South Mountain Park to the south.[1] Major arterial east-west streets include Broadway Road, Southern Avenue, and Baseline Road, all of which connect South Phoenix with the suburb of Tempe.
It was officially called South Phoenix when it was still unincorporated.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post

These urban village designations are relatively recent. http://phoenix.gov/planning/vpcommtt.html I don't think that the average person living in any of the urban villages uses that terminology or thinks of their house as being located in "such and such urban village" whether South Mountain or any of the others.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Same here gang. I never heard it referred to as anything but South Phoenix. (Broadway Rd, Baseline Rd etc) The only special area name I knew was Maryvale NW of there and its not even close to the boundries referred to above. East of course off Baseline is Awatukee and Mountain Park Ranch behind the South Mountain mountain range. I miss living down south. Lots of new growth off Elliott and Chandler Blvds. As a small fyi... I lived in M.P.R. for 5 years when I worked for A.W.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area