Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 AM

124 posts, read 318,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I have a few sets of the Blakely glasses, they came frosted and clear. The wooden tray and large pitcher you had to buy I think.

The oil can is now worth about $200.

Attachment 81259

Attachment 81260

Attachment 81261

Attachment 81262
Thank you sooooo much for the photos. I used to have a complete set of glasses including a rectangle shaped trayand a large pitcher with handle. I had to leave it behind when I moved to Pinetop 3 years ago. I sure miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I believe I had one of those frosted glasses with a cactus on it somewhere in my pantry. I was a smoker back in the 50s and I remember driving into Blakely's station, putting two dimes in the cigarette machine, not only getting a pack of cigarettes but wrapped in the cellophane was a match pack and a penny because the cigs were only 19 cents.
That's amazing. Smoking was sure cheap back then. I tried to smoke once in high school. Friends gave me a Lucky Strike and a Camel. I took them into the girls restroom and proceeded to get deathly ill. I never smoked again...yes I'm a wimp...lol.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Wished I could have been inside Grady Gammage Auditorium on the campus of ASU for a concert. Driven by it a million times also but never went inside. Never even knew who he was either and lived in the Valley for over 20 years ...Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Seems like he designed quite a few buildings that are high profile. Here is a link for the tour of buildings at ASU! Enjoy!!

ASU Tempe Campus Tour: ASU Gammage
I went to several Nutcracker Ballets at the Gammage Auditorium at Christmas time. I don't know if they still present them. It was always very special. Having played the cello from 5th grade through high school I learned to love classical music and attended several classical concerts there. They were quite a treat also. My dad had several stories to tell about Frank Lloyd Wright because he worked at a sand and rock company for years and poured concrete at several of his creations. Apparently, Mr. Wright was quite a character.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
You may have misheard the answer.
1933 is what I found.
1930s
I'm sure you are correct as my hearing isn't that great these days. 1933 makes much more sense. Thanx much for the correction. BTW, did you find out more about Mr. Lincoln?

Old 06-18-2011, 10:56 AM

214 posts, read 646,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Sluggo, you are right. The trash dump and 40th street were right off the east end of the south runway. It made sweeping curve around the end as it went down into the river crossing. It washed out frequently when it rained. The smell was horrible and numerous trash trucks made it extremely dangerous to drive on. I think they started filling in and closing the landfill around 1978 or so. I could be wrong. There really wasnt a good place to view the aircraft on approach there unless you pulled out onto the dry river bed of the Salt River in a 4X4.
I seem to remember, the floods of the late 70's washed a lot of what was part of the dump into the river. The media made a big deal about it being unhealthy, calling it "raw sewage".

Old 06-18-2011, 02:12 PM

285 posts, read 904,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
I'm sure you are correct as my hearing isn't that great these days. 1933 makes much more sense. Thanx much for the correction. BTW, did you find out more about Mr. Lincoln?
Daily Courier (Yavapai County) Sep 27 1998
The Daily Courier - Google News Archive Search

He also planned and opened Camelback Inn.
In the Beginning Camelback Inn Resort & Spa Scottsdale, Arizona
In 1936, the ambitious would-be hotelier persuaded a group of investors led by his friend and Ohio businessman John C. Lincoln to finance construction of the resort on a panoramic site with wonderful views of Camelback Mountain. Thus, Camelback Inn became Scottsdale's first luxury resort

And El Chorro, when it was Judson School for Girls El Chorro Lodge to reopen with new look, ownership | Phoenix Business Journal
El Chorro was built in 1934 by John C. Lincoln as the Judson School for Girls because Lincoln wanted a school for his daughter, Lillian, to attend. The original schoolroom became the main bar.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:15 PM

201 posts, read 545,105 times
Wow JCL did quite a bit during his lifetime. Thats cool to see the history of how things got their start. Thanks xxx for the background about Mr Wright also. These were the "pioneers" that seemed to have shaped the early Phoenix metro area and the Valley.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Terminal 4 at Sky Harbor International was named Barry Goldwater terminal 4. Named for Arizona's most famous U.S. Senator at the time. He too was a "character". It was completed way over budget and behind schedule for America West Airlines and others at the time in the late 1980's.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
They had complete dinner sets but not very popular. Always had a free car, mostly Fords. There was also a huge traveling rocket ship that kids could walk through. There were two 'rocket attendants' dressed in their uniform to supervise and keep kids from playing with the 'atomic power supply' and controls which were 'up, down and land.' The rocket was on a trailer so you walked up the back and came down the front.

Attachment 81263

Attachment 81264
Any idea what years the traveling rocket ship was around? I may remember that but maybe I'm dreaming...were they around in about '60? Something about it is familiar.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Oh man I miss Swensens Ice Cream parlors too... Hot here today!!! Phoenix had them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area