Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2011, 03:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,186,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
I went to NETR Online • Historic Aerials and found some pics from 1957 and 1970. Looks like sand and gravel pits on south 40th. The 1957 pics are interesting because there's really not much east of 40th and south of the river, except for a couple feedlots and some agricultural fields, alfalfa or cotton, maybe? Also, the 161st had fighter aircraft at the time, F-86s, and the ramp is full of them. Also, the old (and at the time, only) Terminal 1 is visible with an old DC-3 on the tarmac. I remember going there as a little kid in the early 60s when TWA would fly in my grandparents from Chicago, and how noisy it was.
lol the airport was about the only specific point I could find. We flew into terminal 1 when we moved to Phoenix in '60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Oh man I miss Swensens Ice Cream parlors too... Hot here today!!! Phoenix had them.
Phoenix still does. There is one near Metrocenter and one near PV Mall.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
He also planned and opened Camelback Inn.
In the Beginning Camelback Inn Resort & Spa Scottsdale, Arizona
In 1936, the ambitious would-be hotelier persuaded a group of investors led by his friend and Ohio businessman John C. Lincoln to finance construction of the resort on a panoramic site with wonderful views of Camelback Mountain. Thus, Camelback Inn became Scottsdale's first luxury resort

The view was right on, this is one of the strangest postcards I have and must be from the first year Camelback Inn opened.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-camelback-inn-dining.jpg

Old 06-18-2011, 04:11 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Any idea what years the traveling rocket ship was around? I may remember that but maybe I'm dreaming...were they around in about '60? Something about it is familiar.
The last of the rocket was in 1955, it seems to have been called the Ralston Rocket before Blakely bought it. Flagship Arizona. I guess they go in the front first and then out the back. Look at the rocket flight attendant.
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-blakely-rocket-ralston_wm.jpg

Last edited by roosevelt; 06-18-2011 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 04:30 PM

124 posts, read 318,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Daily Courier (Yavapai County) Sep 27 1998
The Daily Courier - Google News Archive Search

He also planned and opened Camelback Inn.
In the Beginning Camelback Inn Resort & Spa Scottsdale, Arizona
In 1936, the ambitious would-be hotelier persuaded a group of investors led by his friend and Ohio businessman John C. Lincoln to finance construction of the resort on a panoramic site with wonderful views of Camelback Mountain. Thus, Camelback Inn became Scottsdale's first luxury resort

And El Chorro, when it was Judson School for Girls El Chorro Lodge to reopen with new look, ownership | Phoenix Business Journal
El Chorro was built in 1934 by John C. Lincoln as the Judson School for Girls because Lincoln wanted a school for his daughter, Lillian, to attend. The original schoolroom became the main bar.
Wow...this is so interesting. My search engine is Yahoo. Guess I'm gonna have to start using Google. There's probably much more out there to learn about Mr. Lincoln.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Wow...this is so interesting. My search engine is Yahoo. Guess I'm gonna have to start using Google. There's probably much more out there to learn about Mr. Lincoln.
Just a suggestion.........I've been using Dogpile search engine ( Dogpile Web Search ) for years and IMHO, it's still the best for finding data. Dogpile queries Google, Bing, Yahoo and a few others all at the same time and brings the most relevant data back. Saves a lot of time for me.

Last edited by desertratz; 06-18-2011 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM

283 posts, read 880,527 times
If you've ever used a Lincoln welder......thank John C. Lincoln. He founded Lincoln Electric Company in 1895 with a capital investment of $200.00. The product: electric motors of his own design. Company History | Lincoln Electric

Old 06-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Just a suggestion.........I've been using Dogpile search engine ( Dogpile Web Search ) for years and IMHO, it's still the best for finding data. Dogpile queries Google, Bing, Yahoo and a few others all at the same time and brings the most relevant data back. Saves a lot of time for me.
Thank you for the suggestion, I've taken it.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Amazon.com: The American Century of John C. Lincoln: Raymond Moley: Books
Editorial Review
John C. Lincoln's major contributions to American civilization were in electrical engineering. At the beginning of his active life, he was a contemporary of Edison, Brush, and Coffin. He established the Lincoln Electric Company in 1895 with a capital of $200, and his contributions to that company and the many other enterprises in which he was engaged are in part recorded in the fifty-four patents awarded to him over a period of sixty-five years. But age did not wither Lincoln's creative genius. At the age of seventy-one, he participated in devising a mechanism which played a major part in winning World War II over the reaches of the world. At seventy-eight, he acquired the Bagdad copper properties, which he subequently built into a highly productive enterprise. He also acquired and improved notable real estate holdings. But foremost in Linclon's mind throughout the years were concepts for social and economic change. These were in the cause of justice and enlightenment among the people. In his late seventies, he wrote and published a perceptive analysis of the New Testament. At his death, a major part of his considerable fortune was left to the propagation of constructive education in economic problems. In essence, this is an account of what one man with such natural endowments could accomplish in an America emerging as the foremost nation in the world.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:20 PM

John C. Lincoln Memorial Scholarship
John C. Lincoln founded The Lincoln Electric Company in 1895. His moral character, thirst for knowledge and desire for manufacturing excellence made him an outstanding example for young people entering the field of arc welding.
American Welding Society - John C. Lincoln Memorial Scholarship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area