Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 05:07 PM

220 posts, read 657,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Hallcraft Homes used to present a TV show and the hostess was a young woman named Jeanie Metzger. Does anyone remember what show it was?
Jeanne Metzger was the spokesman for Hallcraft, and their Saturday night feature of Hallcraft Theater, CH 3 showcased her wonderful at ease talent. There is a wonderful article on Jeanne written by Andy Limber who was hired to write and produce the commercials for Hallcraft and for Jeanne. If you google Jeanne Metgzer you can find the link ... great reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM

427 posts, read 1,188,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
No one I believe has mentioned te huge dust storms that used to roll thru the Phoenix area back in the 70's with great regularlity. They got fewer and fewer as the Valley developed of course. We used to get some real blinding dust storms on the west side... followed by those 83 rain drops the size of quarters we call a rain storm that would mess up the cars... gag.

Back in the '60's too! Do dust storms still happen now or has the city built up too much...or maybe has the east side/reservation built up too much?

Old 06-19-2011, 07:17 PM

201 posts, read 546,067 times
I recall one day in 1991 or 1992 the actual air temperature reported at Phoenix Sky Harbor was a chilly 122F. The air temperature was so hot and off the performance charts for the Boeing aircraft at the airport, there were flight delays due to the "heat hold" from 2:00PM - 5:30PM until the air temperature dropped back into the maximum range of the charts for the aircraft. It made the news nationally that day. No one could believe it was that hot. Aerosols were popping in the storage shed outside on the carport. Crazy hot. Now thats a hot Phoenix day!!!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 PM

124 posts, read 318,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
Jeanne Metzger was the spokesman for Hallcraft, and their Saturday night feature of Hallcraft Theater, CH 3 showcased her wonderful at ease talent. There is a wonderful article on Jeanne written by Andy Limber who was hired to write and produce the commercials for Hallcraft and for Jeanne. If you google Jeanne Metgzer you can find the link ... great reading.
Thank you, I will do that right now.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,187,050 times
Quote:
I recall one day in 1991 or 1992 the actual air temperature reported at Phoenix Sky Harbor was a chilly 122F. The air temperature was so hot and off the performance charts for the Boeing aircraft at the airport, there were flight delays due to the "heat hold" from 2:00PM - 5:30PM until the air temperature dropped back into the maximum range of the charts for the aircraft. It made the news nationally that day. No one could believe it was that hot. Aerosols were popping in the storage shed outside on the carport. Crazy hot. Now thats a hot Phoenix day!!!!!
June 30th, 1990. Southwest Airlines had Boeing come up with takeoff data above 122 degrees (50 celsius) so they flew, a special order from the engineers, but America West, et al were grounded. The tech data stopped at 50 C.

July 31st, 1995 was more of the same. I was temporarily assigned to Luke AFB and it was HOT... 4 squadrons stopped flying, including mine. I felt bad for the kids working the flight line that day.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM

220 posts, read 657,295 times
Quote:
Could you be talking about June 26, 1990? I have lived here all my life and that was THE hot day of all times...and some wise person made a lot of bucks out of the tee shirts "I survived 122 Degrees on June 26, 1990".

Old 06-19-2011, 09:05 PM

I wanna say that most of the West Valley and far SE Valley used to be cotton or other crops that got turned into hosuing projects. Not sure how much fewer they are today compared to say 1975. The dust storms are still pretty famous and come from SE Valley right up the I-10 corridor from Casa Grande etc. All I know is 27th Ave and Camelback Rd saw its fair share. I can relate to the metal garbage cans rolling down the street before we got those black plastic tubs for pick-up by the trucks with the claw. Our pool was brown more than once... LOL!!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM

The hot day would have to have been also another day in 1991 or 1992 as I hired on with AWA in July 1990. I was back to Phoenix in 1991 and was there in 1992. It could have occurred more than once. Not sure. Poor ramp rats at AWA. They like their counterparts at Luke... (we called them fondly ..the Burger King kids)" as they lived on virtually no pay, sweat like dogs that day. As a side note... We knew AWA employee families that got on in Phoenix as non rev passengers and flew to Chicago just so they could have a meal. Thats why AWA failed. No respect for employees, humanity and their needs. They used to raid the first class galley on the 747-200's we got from KLM that flew inbound from Hawaii after landing just to get the good stuff. Sad. Do I miss AWA??? Absolutely not. RIP!!!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:15 PM

214 posts, read 648,319 times
Quote:
Could you be talking about June 26, 1990? I have lived here all my life and that was THE hot day of all times...and some wise person made a lot of bucks out of the tee shirts "I survived 122 Degrees on June 26, 1990".
Take the 90 from 1990, plus the 26 from the date, and June being the 6th month...add them all together, 90+26+6=122.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:28 PM

124 posts, read 318,908 times
Quote:
Thanks again. You are so right. It was great reading. I had forgotten about Jeanne being pregnant and how fascinated my family was with it. But she was definitely someone my entire family admired and respected without even really knowing her personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area