Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 PM

285 posts, read 904,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
No one I believe has mentioned te huge dust storms that used to roll thru the Phoenix area back in the 70's with great regularlity. They got fewer and fewer as the Valley developed of course. We used to get some real blinding dust storms on the west side... followed by those 83 rain drops the size of quarters we call a rain storm that would mess up the cars... gag.
Those storms would rock! Try to describe one to someone not familiar with them would be almost futile until you produced a pic, showing the length and height of the dust wall.
One storm that stands out is the Scottsdale tornado from June, 1972.
Standing on Pima Rd at Chaparral Rd, I noticed how dark the sky was looking out over the Pima Reservation to the east. DARK! The quietness of the area. Not even a dog was barking. Few minutes later, the dust storm came through and then the rain. HEAVY rain. Not too long later we found what had happened in North Scottsdale. Driving there was nuts, especially at the Indian Bend Wash. Cocopah Elementary School was the designated shelter. Unless you lived in the area, Scottsdale P-D would not let you in (keeping out the sight see'ers).

I must point out, it was not a tornado on the scale of recent storms in the South, but a twister none-the-less.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-scottsdale-tornado-june-21-1972.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:43 PM

53 posts, read 153,040 times
Default Smitty's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
Smitty's Big Town/Marketplace, founded in 1964 by Clyde Smith, grew to 18 Arizona locations, 28 total by 1999, purchased by Smith's in 1996, grocery store that also sold a wide variety of non-grocery products
Smith's Food and Drug, purchased 28 Smitty's Supermarkets in 1996 from Los Angeles-based Yucapia, Smith's merged with Fred Meyer in 1997, Arizona stores re-branded Fry's or Fry's Marketplace, Fred Meyer acquired by Kroger in 1999
The building that housed the original Smitty's at 16th Street and Buckeye Road is being renovated to be used by the United States Customs and Immigration Service. After being closed for over 15 years it has been gutted and retrofit as an "adaptive reuse project".

There are about 20,000 square feet left undeveloped at the north end. This includes the Smitty's restaurant and a number of smaller retail spaces fronting Buckeye Road.

Speaking of Smitty's restaurants. Who didn't love going to Smitty's for $3.00 steak and eggs for breakfast? What a deal!!!

dgsaz

Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 PM

214 posts, read 646,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaz1950 View Post
The building that housed the original Smitty's at 16th Street and Buckeye Road is being renovated to be used by the United States Customs and Immigration Service. After being closed for over 15 years it has been gutted and retrofit as an "adaptive reuse project".

There are about 20,000 square feet left undeveloped at the north end. This includes the Smitty's restaurant and a number of smaller retail spaces fronting Buckeye Road.

Speaking of Smitty's restaurants. Who didn't love going to Smitty's for $3.00 steak and eggs for breakfast? What a deal!!!

dgsaz
I've driven passed there many times and wondered what they were doing. They've set up a temporary fence around the place.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:14 PM

214 posts, read 646,820 times
Quote:
Anyone that lived in Phoenix remember the "bluebird of happy news" on UHF channel KNXV 15?
I remember that...they also mentioned something about UHF meaning "Ultra High Flight". lol

Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM

124 posts, read 318,512 times
Quote:
No one I believe has mentioned te huge dust storms that used to roll thru the Phoenix area back in the 70's with great regularlity. They got fewer and fewer as the Valley developed of course. We used to get some real blinding dust storms on the west side... followed by those 83 rain drops the size of quarters we call a rain storm that would mess up the cars... gag.
I remember them well. One day, the family went on a Sunday drive up to Flagstaff as we often did during the summer. We left all the windows wide open so it would circulate air while we were gone. Well, there was a really nasty dust storm while we were gone and when we got home thick dust was hanging in the air. It was awful!!! We never did that again. duh!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:38 PM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
I lived near the Rez and the dust storms would completely foul our pool. At the YMCA where I worked it was worse, the day after required extensive sweeping and vacuuming with the dirt on the bottom, not to mention the paper and plastic, the cans, and the occasional desert broom.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Those storms would rock! Try to describe one to someone not familiar with them would be almost futile until you produced a pic, showing the length and height of the dust wall.
Standing on Pima Rd at Chaparral Rd, I noticed how dark the sky was looking out over the Pima Reservation to the east. DARK! The quietness of the area. Not even a dog was barking. Few minutes later, the dust storm came through and then the rain. HEAVY rain. Not too long later we found what had happened in North Scottsdale. Driving there was nuts, especially at the Indian Bend Wash. Cocopah Elementary School was the designated shelter. Unless you lived in the area, Scottsdale P-D would not let you in (keeping out the sight see'ers).

I must point out, it was not a tornado on the scale of recent storms in the South, but a twister none-the-less.
Tornados are so fascinating. Too bad people sometimes live in their paths.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:55 PM

24,295 posts, read 13,141,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post

I clearly remember that storm, it was up in the vicinity of McCormick Ranch... seemed too close to where I lived (82nd and Camelback area). Here in Tornado Alley we are "Red Dirt Ready", not so much in the Phoenix area. There were other tornadoes as well, in 1971 there was one a couple weeks after we started school. My science teacher told us he wasn't sure how that happened, "We have all these mountains around here to block the twisters." I was thinking about this a few weeks ago as we entered our "Fifth Season", and found on this ASU site a history of tornadic activity in the Valley. A lot of what was called tornadic winds may have actually been straight-line winds (we had 90 mph straight-lines here in SW OK on Thursday night) from thunderstorms.

This afternoon I was driving back from OKC and passed the May 24th damage... looks a lot like the damage of the posted June 1972 damage. Nothing like May 3rd, 1999 which obliterated my brother-in-law's place (he sold it 8 months earlier, fortunately).

The higher-base clouds of the desert storms often mean less damaging and smaller tornadoes. Ironically, the only tornado I've ever seen on the ground was in Tucson in the mid 90s. Only seen funnels here since 2003.

While somewhat off-topic, most people find these fascinating; the picture is from 24 May 2011, from Moore, OK, taken by my brother-in-law when he should have been in his cellar!

Last edited by SluggoF16; 11-13-2012 at 04:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgsaz1950 View Post

dgsaz
United States Customs and Immigration Service? Is this new to Arizona or are they just moving into a larger facility?

Old 06-19-2011, 03:17 PM

53 posts, read 153,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
United States Customs and Immigration Service? Is this new to Arizona or are they just moving into a larger facility?
Relocation and expansion. It's part of the GSA shuffle.

dgsaz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area