Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,187,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
I remember the normally dry Salt River bed after the release of water from the Roosevelt Dam. My dad always drove the family out to see it. It was quite a spectacle that you rarely see these days. I remember catching a Greyhound bus to visit my sister in Dallas many years ago and as we crossed over the Mill Avenue Bridge one of the passengers remarked loudly that there was no water in the river. He thought that was odd. Little did he know.
The Salt "River" played itself out in December 1944 with the famous German POW escape from Papago Park. The blue line on the map means "river" to most people. Doesn't have to be a permanent river. Interesting read at this site.

Later on the usually-dry Salt carried more irony, with "Commodore Condello's Salt River Navy Band". Interestingly, the landscape rocks taken from the Santa Cruz River in Tucson were called "Salt River rock" at local material dealers.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 06-25-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 PM

25 posts, read 74,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Let's remember this thread is about PHOENIX memories, not those of past history generally. Thanks.

Excellent Post.....

Old 06-25-2011, 06:06 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,896,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Just got this month's AOPA magazine, and a quiz about older and now defunct airlines referred to Western as "The Champagne Airline". Or as their animated ads said, "The onnnnllly way to fly!"
I remember Western Airlines' commercials from the early 1970s, I think it was a parrot with a British accent that made the "Western Airlines, the oooonnnlly way to fly!" announcement. Speaking of which, I remember the TV stations we had back in the 1960s and 1970s, before cable came in around 1981. KTVK channel 3 was the ABC network affiliate back then, KPHO was channel 5, an independent station, located right off I-17 just south of Indian School, channel 8 was, and still is the PBS station, KOOL was channel 10, the CBS affiliate, and KTAR was channel 12, the NBC affiliate.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:06 PM

283 posts, read 881,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I remember Western Airlines' commercials from the early 1970s, I think it was a parrot with a British accent that made the "Western Airlines, the oooonnnlly way to fly!" announcement. Speaking of which, I remember the TV stations we had back in the 1960s and 1970s, before cable came in around 1981. KTVK channel 3 was the ABC network affiliate back then, KPHO was channel 5, an independent station, located right off I-17 just south of Indian School, channel 8 was, and still is the PBS station, KOOL was channel 10, the CBS affiliate, and KTAR was channel 12, the NBC affiliate.
I used to fly Western Airlines quite frequently to Denver in the latter 70's. I remember the fare was $150 round trip.

YouTube - ‪Western Airlines -- The only way to fly‬‏

Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 PM

24,329 posts, read 13,187,050 times
Quote:
...I remember the TV stations we had back in the 1960s and 1970s, before cable came in around 1981. KTVK channel 3 was the ABC network affiliate back then, KPHO was channel 5, an independent station, located right off I-17 just south of Indian School, channel 8 was, and still is the PBS station, KOOL was channel 10, the CBS affiliate, and KTAR was channel 12, the NBC affiliate.
Wasn't there a Channel 21 as well?

When I was a kid, my parents didn't like KPHO, mostly because of a show they "didn't get". My grandmother thought it was ridiculous. Of course, it was Wallace and Ladmo. I got to attend one of their in-studio shows in the early 70s. And who could forget the Ladmo Bag.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,896,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Wasn't there a Channel 21 as well?

When I was a kid, my parents didn't like KPHO, mostly because of a show they "didn't get". My grandmother thought it was ridiculous. Of course, it was Wallace and Ladmo. I got to attend one of their in-studio shows in the early 70s. And who could forget the Ladmo Bag.
LOL.. I watched Wallace And Ladmo when I was a kid.

Channel 21 was around also, but I never watched it back then. I forgot what the station was, but right now it's the Trinity Broadcasting Network, a Christian station.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 PM

285 posts, read 906,345 times
Quote:
LOL.. I watched Wallace And Ladmo when I was a kid.

Channel 21 was around also, but I never watched it back then. I forgot what the station was, but right now it's the Trinity Broadcasting Network, a Christian station.
KPAZ started as a Spanish/English station on UHF channel 21. It went bankrupt and the then owners sold all interests to it to Trinity Broadcasting, a start-up at the time. It's been a TBN shop since. An argument could be made that KPAZ is actually the first O&O television station in the Valley and not KSAZ (FOX)

KPAZ-TV - eNotes.com Reference

Last edited by desertskies; 06-25-2011 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: adding eNote link and O&O reference.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 AM

124 posts, read 318,908 times
My family's favorite TV news station was KOOL with Bill Close and Mary Jo West. I remember him being held hostage (on air) at knife point. Dewey Hopper and the weather was fun to watch.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:59 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisxxx View Post
My family's favorite TV news station was KOOL with Bill Close and Mary Jo West. I remember him being held hostage (on air) at knife point. Dewey Hopper and the weather was fun to watch.
Of course, Dewey was on Channel 12, (then KTAR, now KPNX) at first. Then he went to KTSP (which was Channel 10 after a call letter change). He even did movie reviews on KTSP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIHhFoQIhx4

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 AM

201 posts, read 546,067 times
Nice posts everyone about aviation in Phoenix.... Lots of cool stuff u posted. Loved the old Sky Harbor photos..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area