Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times

Advertisements

....does anybody remember SFS being open-air with Goldwater's at one end and Diamond's at the other!!????

I do. I remember before it was built.

Last edited by observer53; 12-27-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:42 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
Here is an email from a Phoenix Union High School alumni, does anyone know the street?

I was born in Phoenix on a street name "French Alley" just south of PUHS and a little west of 7th Street. Now I have not been able to find this street because its name was changed or it was closed off.
But my birth certificate so indicated this name for the street. Remember the name of this street because it will play a big big part of my life after PUHS.”

Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
....does anybody remember SFS being open-air with Goldwater's at one end and Diamond's at the other!!????

I do. I remember before it was built.
Yes, I remember, vaguely. Seems there were some restaurants in the open area. There was a Joe Hunt restaurant. Why does the song "Lola" come to mind. Maybe I heard it passing by a music store there.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Yes, I remember, vaguely. Seems there were some restaurants in the open area. There was a Joe Hunt restaurant. Why does the song "Lola" come to mind. Maybe I heard it passing by a music store there.
Joe Hunt's was right out in front, on the Scottsdale Road side, next to Goldwaters. There was Guggy's, further down the open area, and I think another place on the north side that I don't remember well. We spent a lot of time shopping in Bostrom's (which was a very early Williams-Sonoma/home decor place that was also in the open area, on the south side.

Roosevelt-- Have any more "mystery pictures" to start the New Year? (did we ever figure out where that one with the beauty queens by the unusual looking pool was taken????)

Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Joe Hunt's was right out in front, on the Scottsdale Road side, next to Goldwaters. There was Guggy's, further down the open area, and I think another place on the north side that I don't remember well. We spent a lot of time shopping in Bostrom's (which was a very early Williams-Sonoma/home decor place that was also in the open area, on the south side.

Roosevelt-- Have any more "mystery pictures" to start the New Year? (did we ever figure out where that one with the beauty queens by the unusual looking pool was taken????)
No one knows about that photo of the pool with the fountain in the center. This is the only photo I do not know where it was taken. The photographer does not remember.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,370 times
Was SFS the other location of Circles Records?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM

214 posts, read 646,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Was SFS the other location of Circles Records?
Yep...there was a Circles there in the early 80's.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
....does anybody remember SFS being open-air with Goldwater's at one end and Diamond's at the other!!???? - azdr0710

My mom worked at Leonard's Gifts and Luggage on the west end of Fashion Square in the 70s. When Sakowitz opened in the early 70s it was a big deal, and she and a whole lot of retail workers in the old Fashion Square took jobs at Sakowitz. She still has some old Sakowitz bags (as in the kind your purchases are contained in).
We were amazed at the "technology" employed at Sakowitz, the high-tech (at the time) registers... they needed a two or three day class on how to operate them. The marble floors were a first for the area... Diamonds and Goldwaters had carpet which was great if you were a ten-year old kid tormenting your sister with static electricity during the dry months (most of the time).

Last edited by SluggoF16; 12-29-2010 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
Default Sonny's and VIP club

Does anyone remember a club called Sonny's? I went there in the 60's, but can't remember where it was! Also, what was the name of the club on 7th Street and Indian School, where the Vibratos played?

I lived in Phoenix from 1955 to 1970, moved away and came back 40 years later. Wow--what happened?

Jim

Old 12-29-2010, 02:27 PM

24,286 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Default Tree House and Drum Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Payless Discount Nursery. Down the street was Betty Crocker's Tree House with all those mechanical birds making noise while kids ate their animal shaped Jello, one leg at a time, then the head.............
Betty Crocker's Tree House was open in the early 70s on the east side of Scottsdale Road just south of Osborn, about where the Drinkwater turnoff is now. There was a similar place farther south called The Drumstick, on Scottsdale near McKellips. They were a chicken joint, served Texas toast with pretty much everything, and had a model train suspended over the dining area which circled around continually. It was open from around 1971 to the mid-70s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area