Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 08:38 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,634,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It could be Los Angeles 350, which would make it near Wickenburg. Since US 60 USED to go all the way to LA it would be on the way, and it's 53 miles from downtown Wickenburg to downtown Phoenix via 60 and Grand Avenue. It wasn't so long ago that Wickenburg was the way to get to LA from PHX (until mid 70s), did that 1973 on a family trip to LA and San Diego.
I cannot tell if it says 257 or 357 so you are right. I note the bus station as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM

201 posts, read 546,030 times
The bus route would prove to be a key element in determining which city it is. I saw it immediately and thought that alone would eliminate many small towns mentioned except Superior. Wickenburg is 51.7 miles as the crow flies from Phoenix according to Google Earth. That could prove to be a key factor also. 50.31 miles to Superior AZ also according to Google Earth. Superior also was along a bus route US Hwy Route 60 continuing east or south to other parts of Pinal County.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM

24,329 posts, read 13,185,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
The bus route would prove to be a key element in determining which city it is. I saw it immediately and thought that alone would eliminate many small towns mentioned except Superior. Wickenburg is 51.7 miles as the crow flies from Phoenix according to Google Earth. That could prove to be a key factor also. 50.31 miles to Superior AZ also according to Google Earth. Superior also was along a bus route US Hwy Route 60 continuing east or south to other parts of Pinal County.
My initial guess was Superior, based not only on the distance to PHX but the large mountain in the background, but there's that apparent "Los Angeles". If the other part of the sign was more legible... but then, that might make it too easy with contemporary mapping programs. If the old US 60 route is followed, it's over 450 miles from Superior to LA. Assuming that the sign is in fact displaying LA.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM

47 posts, read 152,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Ah, smells. There were onion fields just west of Sunnyslope in the 60's about 19th Avenue and Hatcher; boy did they ever smell. Let's not forget Arnold's pickle works on east Van Buren.

My dad worked at the parts dept. of International Harvester in the 40's, right next to Rainbo Bakery on Van Buren; I thought grease smelled so great until I discovered where the smell was coming from.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived on 17th street and Villa for 12 years, most of my childhood, age 5-17 years of age. We often would take the city bus to down twon, #9, 16th street bus, and on route we would smell the pickles at Arnolds. Not too long ago I passed the area and see some of the old parts of the huge tubs that contained the smelly pickles. I really looked forward to smelling them each time we passed.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:04 AM

I came to Phx. from Chicago in diapers with my mom and brother in 1950. I remember Indian School and how mom used to put me in the stroller and visit the drug store down the road from the school.

We attended Bible Baptist church on 7th street and lived in the Frank Luke Projects on 17th street and Villa. We lived in the projects from 54-66. I remember the projects quite well and recently googled the area to see that it has not changed much except for the empty lot across the street and the corner store, which now are part of St. Luke's Hospital.

I remeber in 62-63 they tore down the Duppa Villa projects which were built during WWII. My grandmother lived in those projects and I remember how old they were compared to the newer projects we lived in. They tore these down and built new two story apartments. Further down Villa from 18-20 street were the Older Frank Luke Jr. Projects which I believe are soon to be removed for a newer project.

I loved my childhood, even though we spent most of our playtime outside and there were no AC. We had swamp coolers in the apartments as well as the public schools. I attended Garfield and Edison which both were torn down I believe in the late 70's and rebuilt. For High school I attended 2 years at Phoenix Union, in its hayday. I remember wear red and black on Friday, the school colors. Then they built a new school East High in about 1965. I loved attending a new school that had AC and I did not have to run building to building to classes or climb stairs as I did at PU. We moved from the Projects and I attended North High School for my senior year. Unfortunately they tore down East High years later. I could never understand why the newest school was torn down while PU still remains even though it is no longer a high school. I believe PU is presently part of ASU where I received my BA and MA"s in education.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
I came to Phx. from Chicago in diapers with my mom and brother in 1950. I remember Indian School and how mom used to put me in the stroller and visit the drug store down the road from the school.

We attended Bible Baptist church on 7th street and lived in the Frank Luke Projects on 17th street and Villa. We lived in the projects from 54-66. I remember the projects quite well and recently googled the area to see that it has not changed much except for the empty lot across the street and the corner store, which now are part of St. Luke's Hospital.

I remeber in 62-63 they tore down the Duppa Villa projects which were built during WWII. My grandmother lived in those projects and I remember how old they were compared to the newer projects we lived in. They tore these down and built new two story apartments. Further down Villa from 18-20 street were the Older Frank Luke Jr. Projects which I believe are soon to be removed for a newer project.

I loved my childhood, even though we spent most of our playtime outside and there were no AC. We had swamp coolers in the apartments as well as the public schools. I attended Garfield and Edison which both were torn down I believe in the late 70's and rebuilt. For High school I attended 2 years at Phoenix Union, in its hayday. I remember wear red and black on Friday, the school colors. Then they built a new school East High in about 1965. I loved attending a new school that had AC and I did not have to run building to building to classes or climb stairs as I did at PU. We moved from the Projects and I attended North High School for my senior year. Unfortunately they tore down East High years later. I could never understand why the newest school was torn down while PU still remains even though it is no longer a high school. I believe PU is presently part of ASU where I received my BA and MA"s in education.
Phoenix Union, or the two buildings that remain, remains because of its historic value, which East didn't have. East was also way out on the eastern edge of the HS district, and when enrollment went down, it was an easy one to take out.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM

I remember Goldwater's department stores, which were owned by the Goldwater family, they had a store in Park Central mall, one in Scottsdale Fashion Square in the early 1960's, then another one opened in 1973, when Metro Center opened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my last year of High school I befriended a young girl from Mexico who was learning English. I was learning Spanish so she and I became friends. She lived with us for a few months and then got a job working as a nanny for Berry's Goldwater's grandchildren. The Rosses lived in Scottsdale and hired her to watch their 4 children. Mr. Ross was a Dr. at Good Sam hospital and his brother had a huge car dealership which I remember was well advertised on TV during this time. My friend sometimes would invite me to take the kids out to places. I remember going to the Goldwater Department store with them in Scottsdale and how the kids loved running througout the store. We then visited the Wax museum and the littest one who was just a toddler would run up to the wax image of Berry Goldwater and try to hug his legs and ended up crying and telling us that "paca did not want to hold her". It was so cute. By the way my friend who was there nanny now speaks flawless English and I became a bilingual teacher in the public school systems in the Valley for 20 years. I love Phoenix and the East Valley where I now reside in Awatukee and subbing in the Chandler Unified School District.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Phoenix Union, or the two buildings that remain, remains because of its historic value, which East didn't have. East was also way out on the eastern edge of the HS district, and when enrollment went down, it was an easy one to take out.
I realize that PU has some historic buildings and am grateful that they remain. I also realized that the population for East High did not support such a school. I just felt badly it does not remain there any more.

Both of my gradeschools, Garfield and Edison have their orginal buildings torn down and had cheaper buildings built in their stead. I know Garfield was a very worn out building but I do believe that Edison could have been renovated. I do enjoy seeing the Monroe Elementary school building being used for a museum. I think Kennelworth is the only old building that is still used today as a school in the Phoenix Elementary school district.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Phoenix's original light rail system, which ran until the mid 1940s.

Central Ave in 1920s

Downtown in 1940s
I think in this picture I can see Korricks which was in downtown Phx. I remember it had the best Santa Claus. Downtown Phx. had Penny's, Woolworths, Walgreens and the Fox Theater among many other places I would visit. It was a sad day when those places closed due to the malls. I believe Park Central was the first mall built in the Valley and than Criss Town.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:58 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
I remember Goldwater's department stores, which were owned by the Goldwater family, they had a store in Park Central mall, one in Scottsdale Fashion Square in the early 1960's, then another one opened in 1973, when Metro Center opened.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my last year of High school I befriended a young girl from Mexico who was learning English. I was learning Spanish so she and I became friends. She lived with us for a few months and then got a job working as a nanny for Berry's Goldwater's grandchildren. The Rosses lived in Scottsdale and hired her to watch their 4 children. Mr. Ross was a Dr. at Good Sam hospital and his brother had a huge car dealership which I remember was well advertised on TV during this time. My friend sometimes would invite me to take the kids out to places. I remember going to the Goldwater Department store with them in Scottsdale and how the kids loved running througout the store. We then visited the Wax museum and the littest one who was just a toddler would run up to the wax image of Berry Goldwater and try to hug his legs and ended up crying and telling us that "paca did not want to hold her". It was so cute. By the way my friend who was there nanny now speaks flawless English and I became a bilingual teacher in the public school systems in the Valley for 20 years. I love Phoenix and the East Valley where I now reside in Awatukee and subbing in the Chandler Unified School District.
The car dealer must have been Jack Ross, with his famous wife Acquanetta, who starred not only in B movies but in his commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area