Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:58 AM

24,299 posts, read 13,145,198 times

Advertisements

roosevelt: Big Surf, pre-opening day with some girls from ASU way back in 1969. This is from a wire photo at the time.

Ah, yes, Big Surf, the world's largest outdoor lavatory... When I was in Cocoa Beach, Florida I was asked where I learned to surf. Told them Tempe, AZ as a teenager. "No way, dude!" It was hard to believe someone could surf in the desert. When they added the surf slide on the south part of the lagoon (1972, maybe?) it was common for boys to wait for girls coming down the slide with the expectation that at least one bikini top would suffer a "wardrobe malfunction" at the pool at the end of the slide. In any given 30-minute surfers-only time, the boys would generally not be disappointed. Went there on our 8th-grade "ditch day" in 1974 (Scottsdale didn't do middle school or junior high back then).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:47 PM

25 posts, read 73,894 times
Talking 1971 Phoenician

Hi I'm new on here but love all the posts about the memories of good ole Phoenix. I will try and post pictures as I progress on this forum. We moved to Phoenix in 1971 Aug 28. We lived in the Tres Arcos Apartments at 28th St and Highland (still there) right by Camelback High. Nothing but open space between there and the Bilmore to the North. I still remember one of the first restaurants I ate at was Picadillies at the long gone Thomas Mall. I was 11. In Feb 1972 we moved to 16th St and Missouri area and attended Madison elementary school. Accross the street was a well dated Texaco station even for 1972. They had a small side store that sold candy and sodas to the kids. This was on the NW corner. On the SW corner was a strip mall with an independent grocery store. Stan Felixs Pay-N-Take it (I Think that was the name). The Trend House was a gift store with neat stuff and Now John McCains office sits about where that was.There was a small canal that ran accross the west side of 16th St up to Bethany Home. A great Winchells donuts sat at the Bashas plaza at 16th & Bethany along with a Skaggs drug store. The center is still there but is mostly vacant. The donut shop sat at the retail shop that is now the Pizza Hut. Many family members say it is where Pizza Hut is but that was a parking area with about 8 spots before they extended the building out flush with the rest of the plaza. I bagged groceries for 11/2 years in HS at the Bashas' there and practically lived in the Winchells because the gal behind the counter was cute! I would use the excuse to go out and collect carts all the time.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingDesert View Post
Hi I'm new on here but love all the posts about the memories of good ole Phoenix. I will try and post pictures as I progress on this forum. We moved to Phoenix in 1971 Aug 28. We lived in the Tres Arcos Apartments at 28th St and Highland (still there) right by Camelback High. Nothing but open space between there and the Bilmore to the North. I still remember one of the first restaurants I ate at was Picadillies at the long gone Thomas Mall. I was 11. In Feb 1972 we moved to 16th St and Missouri area and attended Madison elementary school. Accross the street was a well dated Texaco station even for 1972. They had a small side store that sold candy and sodas to the kids. This was on the NW corner. On the SW corner was a strip mall with an independent grocery store. Stan Felixs Pay-N-Take it (I Think that was the name). The Trend House was a gift store with neat stuff and Now John McCains office sits about where that was.There was a small canal that ran accross the west side of 16th St up to Bethany Home. A great Winchells donuts sat at the Bashas plaza at 16th & Bethany along with a Skaggs drug store. The center is still there but is mostly vacant. The donut shop sat at the retail shop that is now the Pizza Hut. Many family members say it is where Pizza Hut is but that was a parking area with about 8 spots before they extended the building out flush with the rest of the plaza. I bagged groceries for 11/2 years in HS at the Bashas' there and practically lived in the Winchells because the gal behind the counter was cute! I would use the excuse to go out and collect carts all the time.
I was in that Bashas about 15 years ago. Def a pretty area back then.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 28,576 times
I'm thinking that school was Madison Park, in the Madison school district. I went there as well, though mid 60s, before moving to Scottsdale. Loved that school, a very kind and organized place. Nice quarter mile track, and great climbing equipment that would now be banned from any school! Don't know the surrounding businesses. Both 16th and Missouri were big streets, and I took the bus.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM

214 posts, read 646,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert lover View Post
I'm thinking that school was Madison Park, in the Madison school district. I went there as well, though mid 60s, before moving to Scottsdale. Loved that school, a very kind and organized place. Nice quarter mile track, and great climbing equipment that would now be banned from any school! Don't know the surrounding businesses. Both 16th and Missouri were big streets, and I took the bus.
Talking about climbing equipment, my grade school had a net made of chain that you could climb up, about as high as a light post...get to the top, climb over and back down the other side...would never see that today.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM

Chris-town was the place,,to bad it hit the skids, My first date was at the Harkins theater that ran along 19th ave and many followed at the indoor UA cinemas inside the mall. What a fantastic time.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,944 times
Default Does Anyone Remember This Graduation ?

Whittier Elementary

Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,944 times
Default Picture Didn't Upload

Whitter Elementary graduating class of 1957.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-class-57.jpg  

Last edited by roberto1111; 01-17-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM

The Don Jose Mexican Food restaurant that was located on east Thomas Rd across from the Old Tower Plaza that closed 3 years ago, is now re-opened as of 01/17/2011. Same family run business. The building looks like it use to be a IHOP back in the day but has been Don Joses since I can remember back to atleast the mid-seventies. Anyone have any more information on the history of the place would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM

115 posts, read 291,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinkingDesert View Post
The Don Jose Mexican Food restaurant that was located on east Thomas Rd across from the Old Tower Plaza that closed 3 years ago, is now re-opened as of 01/17/2011. Same family run business. The building looks like it use to be a IHOP back in the day but has been Don Joses since I can remember back to atleast the mid-seventies. Anyone have any more information on the history of the place would be appreciated. Thanks.
I have vague memories of when the place was an IHOP, as I recall it didn't last long. Now as far as Don Jose is concerned I have many memories and can't wait for the opening to eat there once again. I was born and raised in the neighborhood just south of there (still live there) If Don Jose sticks to there old menu it will be great. I can still taste and see their Green Chili Burros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area