Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM

220 posts, read 655,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
The Arizona State Fair always had good things to see and do. It normally ran like 17 days or so from late October to mid November each year back then. We saw so many great concerts there. Journey as there one year. The Fixx, Alabama, Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, Kenny Loggins, Air Supply just to name a few. We would pig out on corn dogs, carmel apples, cotton candy and fresh lemonade. Always went home completely satisfied that we got out money's worth on the carnival midway rides, took home a few stuffed animals now and then or a gold fish after getting the ping pong ball to land in one of the small glass bowls..harder than it looked... LOL
Oh how I loved the State Fair. I went every year.... I would spend my money on the food and trying to win the giant panda (which I never won). One year, I think in about 1957, my grade school friend and I were standing in front of the stage where Marty Robbins was singing. At one point he motioned for my friend and I to come closer, he handed us a $5 bill and asked us to get him a large soda. I think my friend and I were about 18 and our little girly teenage hearts just about beat outside of us. Homegrown talented Marty Robbins!...I was sad to see that the little house in Catlin Court in downtown Glendale that was the Marty Robbins Museum had to close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Looking at Google Earth, I was able to find the site of Cloud 9, former restaurant on Shaw Butte.
Can anyone tell me how they managed to get their car up Shaw to enjoy the fine food at Cloud 9 or was the parking down the hill?

I wasn't around back then, but I think I read that patrons were driven up to the restaurant in a jeep-like vehicle after parking down below.....

after hiking Shaw Butte a few years ago, I hiked down to the Cloud 9 site.....small-ish concrete slab and a few pieces of junk....but a close look will reveal some interesting things....

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 AM

30 posts, read 101,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
My exhusband and I lived in a townhouse on the northwestwest side of the freeway and Bethany and we went to the Bethany Theater frequently, topped off with a late dinner at VI for pizza. And we also ate at the bbq place across the street. Seems like it was a dark green building but that was long long ago. I bought leather goods at Tandy Leather east of the theater, for a while there was a Color Tile business next to Tandy Leather. We bowled in leagues at the bowling alley at 19th Ave and Bethany as well as the bowling alley on the northeast corner of the freeway and Indian School. After bowling at Bethany we would walk across the street and have some eats at Bob's Big Boy...which later moved behind Christown in the old Elephant Bar restaurant. Now...all torn down for lite rail and the big new Target store. And wasn't the Phoenix Baptist Hospital on the northwest corner of 19th and Bethany once a chiropractic only hospital?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Or was that Phoenix General...maybe Osteopathic...I think I had my appendix out there in '65 but I can't remember where it was.
Phoenix General was an Osteopathic hospital that was on the North side of Indian School Road at about 20th Ave.
See link below for the history of John C. Lincoln

http://www.jcl.com/content/aboutus/timeline.htm

1958 - Phoenix Osteopathic Hospital begins building a new facility on land bordering Indian School Road, renaming the facility Phoenix General Hospital.

1987 - Phoenix General Hospital moves to a new, expanded facility on 27th Avenue and Beardsley Road.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 AM

30 posts, read 101,750 times
Default Cloud 9

Quote:
Looking at Google Earth, I was able to find the site of Cloud 9, former restaurant on Shaw Butte.
Can anyone tell me how they managed to get their car up Shaw to enjoy the fine food at Cloud 9 or was the parking down the hill?
Check out Phoenix Magazine's article about Cloud 9.

Cloud of Suspicion - Phoenix Magazine

Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 AM

201 posts, read 544,869 times
Remember when The Phoenician Hotel was built in Phoenix on the south side of Camelback Mountain off Camelback Rd just west of Scottsdale? ? Whe it first opened, it looked like Heaven on earth. Someone once said it was owned by the Kuwaiti royal family although I am not sure about that.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM

201 posts, read 544,869 times
From the "where are they now" file... whatever happened to J. Fife Symington and his gold plated friends like Charlie Keating from American Continental (Continental Homes Phoenix) ? I remember that Keating served time for his conviction related scams they pulled. That whole time related to the S&L crisis and the creation of the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC) should serve as a wake up call to everyone that history repeats itself now that home prices everywhere including the Phoenix metro area are tanking. More bailouts for the rich at taxpayer expense. Maybe they will vote J. Fife back into ofice.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Quote:
The original owners paved the road up from 15th ave. If you hike that trail you can still see remnants of pavement. It is quite steep, even for a jeep. Personally, I would rather walk it than be driven up it.

Read the article Jim 1946 links to. That is about as much info as I have been able to find on the Cloud 9.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 9,327 times
I was born 4/6/1975 and I feel I got the best of all following decades. Originally I was born in Brooklyn, NY and made my way out ot sunny AZ at the age of four. My parents settled on a house directly across the street from Liberty Elementary School on 52 St and Acoma.
I wanted to ramble a bit about the things that I loved as a child and teenager growing up in the 80's and 90's here in the Phx/Scottsdale area. So here we go.......
Peter Piper Pizza when it was only 5 locations and Tony would invite you to c'mon over!! There was a location on 32st just South of cactus that was the ultimate haven for after games celebrations. They had, hands down, the best fried zuchini I have ever had in my life. I miss that.
Red Devil. Probably the best pizza I have had. We are VERY fortunate that after 60 years they are still growing and going strong.
Souper Salad at ChrisTown mall. This was the originator for me and salad bars. I was young and they had all you can eat bluberry muffins....WHAT? I'm in!!
Metro Center's eclectic food court.
Swensons....oh Swensons. The Gold Rush Sundae for me and can I try this flavor, how about that flavor, no; maybe I'll try more.
Farrels Ice Cream, Sparklers, Horns and Wheel barro's.
Burger Buddies from Burger King.
McDLT from McDonalds. Brown meat Chicken McNuggets.
Dragon Palace. Americanized Chinese Food at it's best.
Hunan Chinese on Camelback. Chinatown Chinese food!!
McDonalds Play Place on 32st north of Shea west side of road.
Dreamy Draw Pkwy before Squaw Peak.
Alpha-Beta
Skaggs
Osco
The big four Lunt Avenue Marble Club, Steamers and Oscar Taylors.
Club Rio.
Devil House.
Legend City.
Wallace and Ladmo. To this day I still remember putting by butt up against the TV thinking the audience could see me because I was so mad that I did not get a Ladmo Bag!!
KZZP
Y95
Dr. Demento
Metro Center Ice Skating Ring.
Mason Jar.
The Powerline's Desert Keggers.
Castle Rock.
The Dam.
Point 69........If you have to ask! It was a popular spot to bring a limited number of people up to aan Empty Cul-De-Sac up on a mountain West of Tatum South of Shea. Best Spot Ever. Used By Horizon High School, PV High, Shadow Mtn High, Chaparal High.
The rivalary between Shadow Mountain and Horizon.
Tri-Bell Baseball Cards.
Umpires Choice.
The Catchers Mit.
PRICE CLUB and the 100 gallon jar of Cheez-Whiz.
Thrifty Ice Cream.
When Greenway ended at 64th street.
When Bell ended at Hayden.
When Dynamite and Happy Valley were considered the "Boonies"
Chompies on 32st North of Shea.
Valley Video followed by.....
WOW what a difference, Block Buster Video!!
No more Valley Video!
Themed Raves.
Cine-Capri the original nest to the french restaurant on the corner.
Top-Gun was seen there and Star Wars.
Kachina Movie Theatre.
And in 87-90 Every damn yogurt shop popped up. Then, in the blink of an eye they were all gone. I see this trend now!
Does anybody remember these things. And here is one more for you. When PV Mall actually had a farmers market where the food court is currently located?
Thats my list for now. If I think of anything more I will be sure to jot it down. This city was alive at one time, times were different, I am getting warm and fuzzy inside!!

Old 06-03-2011, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlwrnc View Post
I was astonished at how clean, new and beautiful everything was. We settled in an area of South Phoenix where I wouldn't dare go now, but it was quiet and safe at the time--a working class neighborhood with lots of families living in neat small homes.

I recall the flower vendors stationing young ladies dressed in tuxedo coats and heels on busy intersections throughout the Valley.

I remember there was nothing north of Bell Road.

We used to go out after church on Sunday nights to the old Carnation Dairy restaurant.

I remember visiting sick family members at the Phoenix General Hospital on Indian School Road.

I remember my first winter 1984 as being one of the wettest on record. There was lots of street flooding.

Oh, and Entz White was on Camelback Road. It was the coolest store. You could always find great gifts there.

I remember discovering the charming little Christown Mall with the sand castles, Montgomery Ward, and the Boston Store.

I remember one of my favorite restaurants was near 40th St. and Thomas and was run by a Greek family. They had the most amazing menu!

The grocery stores were different too. There was Alpha Beta, Lucky's, and later came Smitty's and Fred Meyer. I think Alpha Beta later became ABCO, but I'm having trouble recalling the other chains in the area at the time.
Ahhhh Smittys. The original All-in one store. I remember walking inside and immediately to the left was the fresh candy area. Haircuts at the barber shop and the pizza slices on the far left side of the store in the restaurant. They were the only store (Tatum and Shea) that carried "Monster Cereal" Boo-Berry, Franken-Berry and Count Chocula!!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:20 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjscott View Post
Ahhhh Smittys. The original All-in one store. I remember walking inside and immediately to the left was the fresh candy area. Haircuts at the barber shop and the pizza slices on the far left side of the store in the restaurant. They were the only store (Tatum and Shea) that carried "Monster Cereal" Boo-Berry, Franken-Berry and Count Chocula!!
You got Count Chocula right. At one time in Phoenix you couldn't find it. My son drove up to Kingman to see his grandfather and just happened to go into a store up there. They had Count Chocula. He bought every single box they had.

Here is an interesting history on Count Chocula (http://www.peteglover.com/chocula.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area