Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillcatz View Post
Wasn't it originally the Circle Star Theater?
OK
I've always known this but now have verified it.
The Travelodge Theater was built in 1963 next to the Travelodge Hotel at 3307 E Van Buren.
It later became the Celebrity Theater and was given its own street address
(its on a corner so it has 2) - 440 N 32nd Street.

This screen capture from Songkick.com also has an old Humble Pie concert (yes, Willie was there rocking out) dated 4/18/1972, so the name change happened sometime after April 1972.

BTW - Many people don't know this but Peter Frampton played with Humble Pie from 69-71 before going solo and releasing Frampton Comes Alive in 1976.
RIP Steve Marriott

At the Pie show, the stage became inoperative just before they hit the stage, so the house offered your $$ back to anyone (stoopid enough) to take it. Duh...half the dummies left and the rest of us crowded around on the side and had what amounted to a private party of about 1000 people. It was cool man. Were you there?
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-travelodge-celeb.jpg  

Last edited by Westside Willie; 06-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: unfinished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 02:41 PM

13 posts, read 43,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
Anyone remember Phoenix Giants baseball on the east side near Legend City? On occasion we would venture cross town to "Muni Stadium" and watch Phoenix play. Tickets were dirt cheap back then in the 70's Seems to me it was the Toros we saw play one time from Tucson.
Remeber it well. The San Fransisco Seals moved to Phoenix after the 1957 season to make room for the N.Y. Giants to move to the Bay area. They Played the '58 and '59 season at the old Phx. Muni at 1st street ans Mohave. After the '59 season they went to Tacoma thru the end of the '65 season. During this time the Phx. Muni you are talking about was being built. The giants came back for the beggining of the '66 season and played at Phx. Muni untill the late 80's when they moved into the new stadium in Scottsdale. This is where they stayed until the Diamondbacks started the '98 season. Spent many summer evenings at the ball park watching future big leaguers learn their trade. The team was part of the Pacific Coast League and dont forget at one point changed their name to the Firebirds. I really do love the Diamondbacks but there was a true joy to minor league baseball. The players were friendly and the fun was not expesive. I took my little brother to his first games at Phx. Muni and the first one we went to was a double header. First game went 11 innings and the second went 14. We were there about 10 hours. What a gas!!!

Last edited by taharvey; 06-03-2011 at 02:50 PM..

Old 06-03-2011, 03:15 PM

285 posts, read 904,513 times
I remember sneaking into a Jesse Colin Young concert at Celebrity Theater. Some said it couldn't be done, but alas, it could.

Hang around the building support column area by the intermission door and move around it as Phoenix P-D made their rounds, out of their sight. Finally intermission and crouching down having a smoke deciding to make my move, a cop sees me and asks what I was doing. I told him just smoking a cigarette. He talks with his partner (my heart pounding "I'm sooo busted!") and orders me away from that area. I told him "yes sir" (being so respectful to our city's finest), mingled with the crowd and walked in. My girlfriend, who was doing the same on the other side, came walking in the same way. I handed her a mixed drink and we enjoyed the show.

I can still hear the opening bars to "Get Together" and see the rotating stage.

The 70's in Phoenix were alright.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-celebrity-theater-being-built-1962.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-celebrity-theater-1964.jpg  

Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 PM

201 posts, read 544,892 times
Best guy to get the nightly Phoenix sports highlights on TV by far was Bill Denney on KTAR/KPNX TV Channel 12. Not flashy or stuck up. Bill gave you what you needed to know about sport and didnt much care about the glitz of news sets, ratiings grabs and hype. Remember this was long before ESPN even was a concept with women allowed in the locker rooms or on the fields. His raspy voice came from being a smoker for many years, which may have caused his downfall. The other channels never could keep a sportscaster for very long and many times you would turn on TV you likely saw them scrambling to find a winning formula with some hack in a chair. Well done Bill. We know you would have worked for free if need be due to your love of the game.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Best guy to get the nightly Phoenix sports highlights on TV by far was Bill Denney on KTAR/KPNX TV Channel 12. Not flashy or stuck up. Bill gave you what you needed to know about sport and didnt much care about the glitz of news sets, ratiings grabs and hype. Remember this was long before ESPN even was a concept with women allowed in the locker rooms or on the fields. His raspy voice came from being a smoker for many years, which may have caused his downfall. The other channels never could keep a sportscaster for very long and many times you would turn on TV you likely saw them scrambling to find a winning formula with some hack in a chair. Well done Bill. We know you would have worked for free if need be due to your love of the game.
There was a guy on TV here in Phoenix before 1954 that had a half hour sports show; he spent most of the time telling stories about baseball; I remember he would sit mostly on the edge of a desk and he was kind of jittery, always moving around while talking. Would love to know who he was.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 23,256 times
does anybody have pics of cloud 9 when it was in busness? ive been looking for some pics for 20+ years. i saw the dining room pic online and the groud breaking pic with richard barker and his wife. i never saw what the restraunt looked like. any info where to look would be great.
i also am looking for pics of brookshires on 3er st and dunlap my mom worked there when i was young.
i love this forum. i have so many memorys of phoenix.i used to work at the mansion club (the old wrigley mansion) and thats when i started to wander what cloud 9 looked like.
thanks

Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM

214 posts, read 646,577 times
Quote:
How about raspy voiced Gene Mclain on channel 12 "action news"? Also sports anchor Ron Brooks?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoty View Post
does anybody have pics of cloud 9 when it was in busness? Ive been looking for some pics for 20+ years. I saw the dining room pic online and the groud breaking pic with richard barker and his wife. I never saw what the restraunt looked like. Any info where to look would be great.
I also am looking for pics of brookshires on 3er st and dunlap my mom worked there when i was young.
I love this forum. I have so many memorys of phoenix.i used to work at the mansion club (the old wrigley mansion) and thats when i started to wander what cloud 9 looked like.
Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	brookshires.jpg
Views:	3436
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	80749

Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjscott View Post
Ahhhh Smittys. The original All-in one store. I remember walking inside and immediately to the left was the fresh candy area. Haircuts at the barber shop and the pizza slices on the far left side of the store in the restaurant. They were the only store (Tatum and Shea) that carried "Monster Cereal" Boo-Berry, Franken-Berry and Count Chocula!!

Smitty's has been discussed before here in the thread, but it's always welcome to bring it up again.....

yeah, the Tatum and Shea one was our store, too....I remember when it was built and it was the only thing on that corner - next to Neal Frisby's Capstone Cathedral (now also being altered).....

CB's Libations was a bar (!!) in the grocery store - way off to the left past the pizza counter and restaurant....I heard Clyde Smith had it built in that store so he would have a place near his home to go have a drink....don't know who CB was/is....

Smitty's pizza was the best....still can see it right now....thin crust, juicy, just right

barber shop, beauty parlor......remember the slightly raised office with the prominent painting of Clyde mounted on the wall?....

I applied for a bagboy job in high school in the late 70s there....the manager said I'd have to cut my hair above the ears!.....this was in the waning days of disco and even Fortune 500 CEOs had hair below their ears in those days!

here's a fantastic site I found (have posted it here before) with employee and customer memories of Smitty's.....some great and funny posts here.....

Paradox Unbound: Remembering Smitty's

Last edited by azdr0710; 06-04-2011 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 23,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Great pic, I was in Brookshires every day as a child. Ben franklins was my fav store back then. i rember it was behind brookshires in the aj bayless strip mall. they had anything a kid could ever want. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area