Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM

214 posts, read 647,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
There is one Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa on Stapley Dr. and Southern, just north of US60. Still in business.
I remember Organ Stop Pizza...There was a big organ in the place. It was somewhere in north Phoenix. Anyone know where it was and what is located there now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 03:35 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
Does anyone remember playing on the train at Pioneer Park in Mesa - before there were any restrictions on it?
I didn't but my kids did when they were little. They loved that old plane too. We lived pretty close to the park so I took them there often.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM

283 posts, read 881,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
I remember Organ Stop Pizza...There was a big organ in the place. It was somewhere in north Phoenix. Anyone know where it was and what is located there now?
Organ Stop Pizza - Wurlitzer Organ - Pizza Restaurant - Mesa Arizona (http://www.organstoppizza.com/welcome.htm - broken link)

Click on HISTORY on the left side of the page.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937Gal View Post
I had several dresses made from flour sacks and they were my favorite dresses too. I remember the plates, etc. in the soap.... I would also love to stand and watch my mother wash clothes through the old old ringer type washing machine. She would always warn me to stay back for fear my clothing or hair might get caught in those ringers. Does anyone remember the old fashioned margerine that was white and you crushed a little yellow capsule of dye, mixed it in and voila'...yellow margerine.
I don't remember the plates, etc. in soap but do remember dishes in the oatmeal boxes and dish cloths/towels in the soap. I was still using a wringer washer in the early 60s when my kids were babies. After they were all out of diapers I FINALLY got a washer and drier! lol

I remember that margerine too! It was my 'job' to do the 'squishing' in the bag. I think I was about five then. I thought the capsule was orange? But it turned the white stuff yellow.

Oh yeah..flour sack dresses. I had my share of those too. My Grandma made them for me. I think ALL women bought those huge bags of flour back then. Making their own bread all the time, etc..

Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM

201 posts, read 545,493 times
We used to eat at Organ Stop but it was the one on N. 7th Street. I think the organist name was Len. Not sure of the last name... We alos used to have a pizza now and then at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. They had the clear glass bottom metal steins for our rootbeer and crazy straws that were curly. They had awesome sausage pizza. Wish we still had them ....

Old 06-12-2011, 06:34 PM

220 posts, read 656,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Organ Stop Pizza - Wurlitzer Organ - Pizza Restaurant - Mesa Arizona (http://www.organstoppizza.com/welcome.htm - broken link)

Click on HISTORY on the left side of the page.
Great post with history. I used to take my son to Organ Stop when it was located at 7th St. and Missouri. It was very loud, full of people, the music was wonderful but loud, the pizza was great and it always made my son very happy. Fond memories...

Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 PM

220 posts, read 656,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator7777 View Post
We used to eat at Organ Stop but it was the one on N. 7th Street. I think the organist name was Len. Not sure of the last name... We alos used to have a pizza now and then at Shakey's Pizza Parlor. They had the clear glass bottom metal steins for our rootbeer and crazy straws that were curly. They had awesome sausage pizza. Wish we still had them ....
I miss Shakey's Pizza Parlor as well. I used to eat lunch at the one on North Central just north of Indian School, and they had one near me when I lived on on 43rd Ave north of Camelback. Great pizza....

Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Rare photo of Sears in downtown Phoenix 1948. Everyone shopped there, sometimes I wondered how Ward's stayed in business. During this time period I would go in and see the bones in my feet on their Fluoroscope. The do-gooders had all the sales people getting radiation sickness so they took it out.

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-sears-downtown-1948_wm.jpg

Old 06-13-2011, 09:58 AM

124 posts, read 318,587 times
My only memory of the Celebrity Theater is a Jimmy Buffet performance. It was quite wild. Jimmy Buffet's left leg was in a cast due to an accident. He was perched on a tall stool with his leg propped up on another. While he was conversing with the audience, a woman from the audience near the stage stood up, lifted her blouse and exposed her breasts. Later, during a break from singing, he was speaking to the adience when two totally nude young women walked onto the stage and began hugging and kissing him. It was supposedly part of the show that Mr. Buffet was not previously aware of and he seemed genuinely embarassed. The girls left and the show went on. It was definitely different from anything I'd ever seen before and the audience appeared to love all of it.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 AM

124 posts, read 318,587 times
My first job after high school graduation (1963) was at the phone company. It was called Mountain Bell at the time or "Ma" Bell. When I went in for my interview I had to wait awhile in the lobby. They had the radio up loud and a voice on the radio kept repeating, "The president is dead." I wondered what in the world they were listening to and why they had it so loud. My first thought was that it was a play or something like that. Of course, I eventually realized that they were talking about President Kennedy who had just been shot to death in Dallas, Texas. I immediately went to a phone booth in the building and called my mom who confirmed that she was watching coverage of his death on the TV news. Although I was not a democrat I broke down and sobbed for several minutes. I went back to the lobby deeply saddened to wait for my interview. As I sat there I was quite confused because I had just come home from visiting my sister's family in Dallas. One of the president's people was struck on the head with a placard and the last I heard before coming home was that the President's trip to Dallas had been cancelled. Obviously, his plans changed for the worse. I will alway wonder who convinced him to go ahead as planned with the stop in Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area