Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 21,076 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody!

Thanks in advance for responding to my post. I having a bit of dilemma because I don't know if I should accept a job that I have been offered in Surprise, AZ. The job would be amazing, but since the position is an AmeriCorps program, I will be living very meagerly below the poverty line.

Let me give you a little bit of background:

Currently I am unemployed and live with my family in Virginia. Since graduating from college, I have been career exploring, and working various jobs. I have also have had the opportunity live in both Ponte Vedra, Florida which is a suburb outside of Jacksonville...which I hated because of stuck up retirees. I worry that living in Surprise might be the same. I have also have been able to live in Fort Collins, CO which I found rather dull, rural and lacked the diversity that I need as a non-visible minority.

The commitment is for a year, and I am coming to Surpise/Phoenix not knowing a soul. I fear that the experience will be the worst of both worlds because of my experiences in Colorado and in Florida.

Will I be in an area that's friendly to my kind? Will I be close enough to amenities that Phoenix offers, if Phoenix offers it at all? I'm from the South-East, and there are places here that are not so friendly to gays and people of other races. I worry that this community could be the same?

I am excited about the weather, and the great opportunity. I am just tired of moving, so I want to make sure that there will be potential here. Moving to a new city and meeting new people is really hard!

Thanks again,

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times
First of all, just drop the "gay" part from your question. People are very open around here. Live and let live. Nobody cares if you're gay. More likely, they will care if you want to make a big deal about nothing. Go be gay. It doesn't matter if you're gay or not. It matters how you will treat others that you will be judged by.
So the real question is will "YOU" like it here being a young single guy? That's a little tougher question.
Arizona is a very diverse place. You are not alone. It's a matter of whether you want to make friends and enjoy all the wonderful things this place has to offer.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:01 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
I would probably say Tempe would be the place for you. Tempe is one of the more liberal cities in the Valley, and I presume many residents are more open to gays than other cities here. I'm not gay myself, however, so I can't really confirm this with 100% certainty.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 PM

Right, I'm not trying to rub people's noses in my sexuality...I'm just trying not to get lynched, so that's good.

The west is definitely more libertarian than the east in general. I'm sure Arizona is pretty diverse and has a lot to do, but I'm trying to find more information out about this specific community where I'm going to be working. Are they're young professionals living here or a community nearby?

Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I would probably say Tempe would be the place for you. Tempe is one of the more liberal cities in the Valley, and I presume many residents are more open to gays than other cities here. I'm not gay myself, however, so I can't really confirm this with 100% certainty.
Gay or not if the OP works in Surprise the last place they want to live is Tempe the commute would be brutal.

To the op surprise is the last place a single guy would like it's families and seniors living in some far away exurb. Zero nightlife Gay or straight.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:19 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmiller View Post
Right, I'm not trying to rub people's noses in my sexuality...I'm just trying not to get lynched, so that's good.

The west is definitely more libertarian than the east in general. I'm sure Arizona is pretty diverse and has a lot to do, but I'm trying to find more information out about this specific community where I'm going to be working. Are they're young professionals living here or a community nearby?
gays getting lynched? seriously though surprise is loaded witb old retirees

Old 09-28-2013, 10:33 PM

Ok, so clearly Surprise probably isn't the most ideal place for me. Is there another community within a reasonable commute that might be a better option?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:08 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
The Westside isn't called the worstside for nothing. The guy part of town will be central Phoenix 7th st/ camelback.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,817 times
What kind of amenities are you looking for, and what kind of hobbies do you enjoy? The single younger type atmosphere is found mostly in south Scottsdale and Tempe but both areas are a far commute from Surprise. Honestly though, I think you should just live close to work and commute to the young hang outs you probably are looking for found in scottsdale/tempe on the weekends.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
If he's working in Surprise , he can't be living in Tempe. Too far. I think the OP will be fine in an area closer to the job, for the reasons others have stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area