Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:53 PM

79 posts, read 344,885 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My wife and I moved to the east valley (Queen Creek area) about 1.5 years ago. We're considering making the area our permanent home, and are interested in moving to an Active Adult community in Gilbert or Chandler. No rush, but we want to buy sometime in the next 1-2 years.

I've been watching the market, and inventory was very low over the summer (no surprise there) but it's been increasing over the past several weeks.

I'm thinking spring may be the best time to buy, when the snowbirds are leaving... because some of them may be leaving Phoenix forever.

What do you think is the best time of year to buy in a 55+ community?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 06:03 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,906 times
Best time to buy would typically be between May 15th and October 1st. The "snowbird" part of the population will have left AZ for the summer and there should be more inventory for you to choose from.

These are all hypotheticals as someone has to be selling.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:03 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
If you are going to get a mortgage, I'd say that the best time to buy would be right now.

Ultimately, the BEST time to buy is when you and your wife find the house that you want. Start looking now (what have you go to lose except a few afternoons?), and when you find 'the one', you'll know.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,036 times
Besides "Sun Lakes" in Chandler there really aren't any 55+ communities in Chandler and Gilbert. Both are suburban family towns. Mesa to the north of those cities offers more 55+ communities as well as Apache Junction a little farther east.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:48 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Besides "Sun Lakes" in Chandler there really aren't any 55+ communities in Chandler and Gilbert. Both are suburban family towns. Mesa to the north of those cities offers more 55+ communities as well as Apache Junction a little farther east.
And in fact, Sun Lakes isn't even part of Chandler; it is an unincorporated community and census designated place.

And yes, there are 55+ communities in Gilbert and possibly Chandler. Trilogy at Power Ranch by Shea Homes in southeast Gilbert immediately comes to mind.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Best time to buy would typically be between May 15th and October 1st. The "snowbird" part of the population will have left AZ for the summer and there should be more inventory for you to choose from.

These are all hypotheticals as someone has to be selling.
From what I've seen by watching the MLS this summer, the volume of houses for sale is minuscule during the hot months. I'm guessing that most of the houses sell by late spring, and the snowbirds don't generate new listings here from their summer home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If you are going to get a mortgage, I'd say that the best time to buy would be right now.

Ultimately, the BEST time to buy is when you and your wife find the house that you want. Start looking now (what have you go to lose except a few afternoons?), and when you find 'the one', you'll know.
I agree Jkgourmet. I will be working for about 10 more years, but who knows where the interest rates and home prices are going to go. We've been looking on-line for a while, but aren't quite ready to pull the trigger and contact our Realtor just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
And in fact, Sun Lakes isn't even part of Chandler; it is an unincorporated community and census designated place.

And yes, there are 55+ communities in Gilbert and possibly Chandler. Trilogy at Power Ranch by Shea Homes in southeast Gilbert immediately comes to mind.
Yup, I've seen listings in SunLakes, Sunland, Springfield, Solera, and Sunbird in Chandler (even if they are in unincorporated areas, it seems like Chandler to me), and Trilogy in Gilbert. Trilogy in Queen Creek would be fine, too.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul91 View Post
I agree Jkgourmet. I will be working for about 10 more years, but who knows where the interest rates and home prices are going to go. We've been looking on-line for a while, but aren't quite ready to pull the trigger and contact our Realtor just yet.
A couple points come to mind. A great time to buy is when you have cash AND mortgages are more expensive (as opposed to record low levels). Super cheap money causes home prices to rise. Many people afford "payments" (that is how they look at the price of a home: a payment)..

Also, people buy because they have a sense of urgency. If they fear rates are going up, they may pull their decision in. That is what happened. Currently, buyers are on pause because rates rose. They now don't have that sense of urgency that they better decide now. New home construction inventory as well as rising rates stopped those buyers from a hurry up and buy mentality.

Because of this ^^, my gut says you don't have to be in a hurry. If I was hedging my bets, I'd wait for about a year from now. While others call for prices to rise in the next year, I could easily see some prices pull back some. Look at this site Show Me the Data – Altos Research . It''s forward looking (meaning the data is from ASKING price not selling price). Type in your town and see what people that are listing their homes perceive the market conditions. Some of the gains are factually being reduced. My crystal ball says this could continue.

That all said, demand is projected to rise as a whole inside of the Phoenix area for the next 20 years. So longer term, we are in good shape to see gains. But I'm not so sure I see gains in the next year or so. I bet we see some more drops.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul91 View Post
Thanks for the feedback!!

From what I've seen by watching the MLS this summer, the volume of houses for sale is minuscule during the hot months. I'm guessing that most of the houses sell by late spring, and the snowbirds don't generate new listings here from their summer home.

Yup, I've seen listings in SunLakes, Sunland, Springfield, Solera, and Sunbird in Chandler (even if they are in unincorporated areas, it seems like Chandler to me), and Trilogy in Gilbert. Trilogy in Queen Creek would be fine, too.

Thanks for your thoughts!
If you are open to a location farther away, don't forget the new Del Webb community, Sun City Anthem at Merrill Ranch. That one would allow you to purchase new construction.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
The market typically increases during the cooler months then levels off for the hotter months then starts it's climb again. I doubt there will be much fluctuation up and down now for a few years.
OP you buy the house when you feel you want it and then you start your negotiations for that selling period. If the house you want is a nice in demand type of house priced in the right medium then you jump on it right away. If it's a dog fixer upper then that's a different story.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the Altos Research link, MN-Born-n-Raised. We're not in a hurry to buy, which is a nice change for us. We have the luxury of finding the right house at the right price and location this time.

Jkgourmet, thanks for mentioning Merrill Ranch, but we're in San Tan Valley now and want to move closer to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area