Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM

194 posts, read 291,949 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I had posted a bit ago about finding a vacation rental for the month of April. I think I finally found one that fits our criteria (size, price and the fact that we'll bring our dog). I am probably going to book it this week as things sure get taken fast!!!
My only concern is location. It's in Goodyear but I don't know a ton about the different areas (we've previously only stayed in Estrella Mountain Ranch). I won't get the exact address until we book, but from the map it looks like it's located on W. Durango St. between S. Village Blvd and S. Sarival Ave. We've driven around the area, but I know in Phoenix it can change from good to bad in 1 street. Anyone familiar with this area and if so, is it safe? We have 3 young kids. Looks like it may be a bit older of a house, but the house itself has been renovated. I usually go off the reviews on homeaway.com but there aren't any. Typically this would make me nervous but it appears she recently purchased the home and just finished renovating it. I think she's renting it out for the first time next month.

Any input appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 05:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
That is not a bad area by any stretch of the imagination but it isn't a overlly nice area either...it's not on the level of Estrella and is more of a standard family neighborhood. The area can be seen using Google Maps Streetview. I live in Goodyear and I would not hesitate to live in that area of town.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That is not a bad area by any stretch of the imagination but it isn't a overlly nice area either...it's not on the level of Estrella and is more of a standard family neighborhood. The area can be seen using Google Maps Streetview. I live in Goodyear and I would not hesitate to live in that area of town.
I'll second that. It is a perfectly fine neighborhood. You need not worry.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 PM

269 posts, read 535,144 times
^^^ What they said. As safe as any other area. Not as nice as up the hill in Estrella Mountain Ranch. Your closer to the ball parks and interstate as well as just about everything compared to EMR.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:56 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
I think it's just fine….you could also consider Litchfield Park, if interested. I live in Goodyear and am really not aware of any bad areas.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
It's an older neighborhood - my inlaws were looking at it as a potential retirement/vacation home area but there are better locations in the immediate area .... the neighborhood just one street to the north is newer/nicer for example

However, you'll be perfectly fine in that neighborhood and on that street

There are some benefits as well - you'll be really close to a nice Frys off Sarival/Yuma, plus there is Target and some other stores at Yuma/Cotton and then pretty much everything else you'll need conveniently up Estrella. There is a dog park heading down Estrella towards EMR that this rental house will be close to. There is also a pet store near Estrella/Roosevelt called Petz Place that is a nice shop. There is a vet office at Estrella/Van Buren and you'll be close to the 24 hour emergency vet clinic near dysart & I-10 if you are unfortunate enough to need it. For the actual children there is a nearby Walgreens on Estrella/Van Buren and an urgent care facility off Estrella/Roosevelt. Phoenix Childrens Hospital has an urgent care facility not to far in Avondale which is open to 11pm every night as well.

You'll be close to the ballparks, close to the freeway, will have to drive to playground but there are plenty of nearby options.

The location is fine from a safety standpoint and should make a pretty decent outpost for a week.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:38 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
There is also a pet store near Estrella/Roosevelt called Petz Place that is a nice shop.
Good post Finger Laker, as usual.

Have you been in the new Petz Place location? Kind of surprised at how small it is now, they seem to have cut out a lot of inventory. We noticed the dog food selection is more limited now.

Still a great shop and the only pet store we frequent.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Yeah - we learned of the move when I took my dog in to get her shots updated at ACE Hardware and the clinic was mentioning the change to the people who needed to come back in for another round quickly.

Stopped in to get our dog a treat for Christmas. They used to be my go to store for food as well, however my dog has pancreatitis that flares up on occasion. We've tried a wide variety of foods, even some of the ultra low fat versions but she was just having difficulty with them over time. We've been on a food available at the Vets office now for 3-4 months and she hasn't had a flare up, so I'm hoping that continues to work .... it just narrows our pet store visits.

Store is definitely much smaller now. I used to talk with someone who owned a pet store and he would mention that food was tricky to stock as it tended to take up a lot of floor space and be lower margin - yet it was always the primary draw for anyone into the store. I don't know if that was behind their thinking or not. I know the people at the clinic were talking that the other space was just too large for them, but that's speculation/rumor as well.

Either way, I hope them the best. The drive through window for the food is a neat concept and it looks like they are adding more of the "services" to go with their offerings so I may find some non-food reasons to continue to shop there. Definitely very friendly and super helpful.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I should also edit my post because I had my Phoenix mentality going of "if it's not right next to you it's a drive" in regards to the playgrounds

While that particular neighborhood doesn't offer much IMO, the neighborhood immediately to the north of it is new and has a decent play set and a basketball court which would be roughly a half mile walk depending where on Durango St you were staying .... it's just up Village heading towards Yuma

Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
It's not a bad location at all.

Just about anywhere in Goodyear will be safe and family-friendly.

It's Tolleson and the southern side of Avondale where you have to be more worried about safety and the appearance of neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area