Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 PM

44,646 posts, read 61,677,004 times

Advertisements

If your HOA's CC&R's specifically refers to the grass/wall separation and the homeowner is in violation, then it's his problem to rectify it, not yours.
Most HOA's, not all, CC&R's would not cover that issue. Do as someone mentioned read yours carefully and if you have any questions go to the HOA directly for clarification. That homeowner, like many, may not even have read their CC&R's.
In your worst case scenario if this ends up not an CC&R issue for the neighbor then you may want to plant a row of low growing shrubs along the wall. Catclaw vine is a fast growing vine, very invasive and difficult to rid of once established. Your CC&R's may prohibit the planting of them Check with the HOA for approved plants first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,950,139 times
Just checked the CC&R's and here is what it has to say...

Quote:
TURF
Turf is permitted in front and backyard landscaping provided that no turf or spray irrigation shall abut walls or fences. A five (5) foot buffer is required between walls, fences, structures and turf or associated spray irrigation. Great care should be taken to avoid spraying of walls, fences and other structures that may cause damage and void any warranty.
That's pretty clear cut, right? No turf shall abut walls or fences and a 5 foot buffer is required between turf and walls/fences.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,676 times
A 5 foot buffer seems pretty unreasonable. Given how tiny the lots are these days it wouldn't leave much room for grass.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:36 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
"TURF
Turf is permitted in front and backyard landscaping provided that no turf or spray irrigation shall abut walls or fences. A five (5) foot buffer is required between walls, fences, structures and turf or associated spray irrigation. Great care should be taken to avoid spraying of walls, fences and other structures that may cause damage and void any warranty. "

That's pretty clear cut, right? No turf shall abut walls or fences and a 5 foot buffer is required between turf and walls/fences.

Indeed. Plus the part about avoiding spraying walls, fences, not to cause damage, etc. No gray area at all in that wording.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Just checked the CC&R's and here is what it has to say...

The ball is in your court, the rules are rules, you need to notify the HOA, the neighbor should be notified by the HOA with a time limit to correct the violation or be fined. That should take care of it. The neighbors won't know who filed the complaint unless you tell them directly or have already had a conversation about it with them. HOA will probably say they are checking yards for violations and theirs popped up. Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM

I have a feeling they will know and I feel bad about it, but what can I do? If it didn't affect our side of the fence, I wouldn't care one bit, they can plant grass anywhere they want.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Yeah, I agree...they are going to know for sure as the problem is showing itself in your yard.

Have you considered sending them a letter first since you can't get to their door? I did this with one of my neighbors over a barking dog when they would not answer their door anytime I knocked. They received it the next day and were standing at my door shortly afterwards.

That way you at least can say you tried to work it out with them before you went to the HOA. I'd be friendly and tell them you tried to knock on their door but their gate kept you from getting to the door and explain the situation you're having.

I know I would appreciate that and would take immediate action if something in my yard was affecting a neighbors yard. Maybe they will feel the same way and appreciate your attempt to solve it before getting others involved?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 AM

Good idea LBTRS.

Another thing though, and I may have to contact the builder anyway because of it, I noticed two cracks in the retaining wall this morning when I was out looking again. What could this be about?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,232,976 times
Probably settling from the wet ground in that spot. Get it fixed now when the home is under warranty as it is only going to get worse once it starts to crack. Unusual that it actually cracked the blocks as normally the joint are the first to go. Even more surprising since those are the big retaining wall blocks, something isn't correct in that spot.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Could also be soil expansion putting pressure on the fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area