Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 08:55 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,248,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
It's clearly a retaining wall up until that point of there the tiny ledge is. The blocks are 8x8x16 and likely reinforced with rebar and concrete. The wall above that line is using 8x4x16 blocks which are typical for non retaining barriers (think normal fence). Who knows what they have landscaped in their yard but the ground level typically will be just above the retaining wall. The water could be coming from shrub/tree emitters that are located around the perimeter of the wall that is seeping in the ground or even from sprinkler heads that are improperly installed and spraying the wall.
I know the lower part is a retaining wall, however, I thought he had said the neighboring yard was half way up the wall where the water is coming from. Maybe I misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,147,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I know the lower part is a retaining wall, however, I thought he had said the neighboring yard was half way up the wall where the water is coming from. Maybe I misunderstood.
9 blocks @ 8" would equal a six foot wall (above retaining). It would be creepy if they only had a 3 footer and could sit in a lawn chair and watch HX_Guy swim.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,248,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
9 blocks @ 8" would equal a six foot wall (above retaining). It would be creepy if they only had a 3 footer and could sit in a lawn chair and watch HX_Guy swim.
That is actually how my house came...they had graded the yards after they installed the walls and I only had 6.5 blocks above the grade of my yard. I could stand in my yard and look my neighbor in the eye and talk to him. I raised hell with the builder and they said that was "normal" but I didn't let up and eventually they came back and added two more layers of blocks to get it to at least past eye level for me. Still not six feet above grade of my yard.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the builder of HX_Guy's house did something similar. The company that added the two more layers told me they do this all the time because builders grade the yard after the walls are installed and try to keep from paying to make the walls the proper height.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM

44,664 posts, read 61,767,196 times
As long as they have grass and water it no matter how much stain blocker is used it will always seep that salt through the concrete.
The best solution is to dig down on the grass side several feet and seal it with waterproofing black tar.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM

537 posts, read 1,548,018 times
Boy, I think I'd get some cat claw vine going on that back wall fast. It will cover up that water damage and soften the ten foot wall. Have you noticed any camera tripods in the upstairs windows next door? Watch for drones, too. Are there any requirements to install kid proof fencing around the pool?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,647,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It is a retaining wall...I think. The lots are staggered like steps.

I'll talk to the neighbor first and see if they can adjust their sprinklers and if it's ongoing, I'll talk to the HOA and the builder.

It is in the position of a retaining wall but not doing a good job as a retaining wall. Things can change when you realize in your mind that spot needed a retaining wall. Did the builder put in a retaining wall? There are certain specs for good solid retaining walls, one being that the sediment, calcification, whatever from the other yard's soil does not effect you. Lining, support bars, etc.

The other thing is...I'm not sure about the retaining wall having a wall on top of it. The retaining wall should be more solid than any version of fencing. And should not have a like kind wall on top of it to weigh down the retaining wall which is already working hard against soil conditions.

I am familiar with solid retaining walls with an powder coated steel (or similar) fence. Or, of course, the ubiquitous wood.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,647,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
As long as they have grass and water it no matter how much stain blocker is used it will always seep that salt through the concrete.
The best solution is to dig down on the grass side several feet and seal it with waterproofing black tar.
Yes, that's part of making a good retaining wall.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:02 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,963,077 times
Ok so I found out what the problem is but I have a feeling there may be some opposition to fixing it, I hope I'm wrong.

I looked over the fence and the neighbor has a large lawn area that goes right up against the fence, they did not leave a gravel seperation between the fence and the lawn. I believe our HOA rules actually say you have to leave at least 24" between lawns and any fence or structure, but I'm not sure if that refers to only the front yard or not.

Wasn't sure if I should just approach the HOA about it or talk to the neighbor about it, but decided to do the neighborly thing and go talk to them (as that is what I would want someone to do with me) but unfortunately I couldn't even get to the door...they have a gate into the courtyard to the front door which was locked and no doorbell to ring so I couldn't talk to them. I guess I have to talk to the HOA about it and let them handle it.

The neighbor probably isn't going to like it and might not care, thinking its our problem. In order to fix it, he will need to take out 2' of grass along the fence and also move the sprinkler system back 2'..something that he may not be fond of but what else can we do?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 PM

537 posts, read 1,548,018 times
I have a feeling that a misdirected head may be hitting the wall. It looks like it's a few feet up from ground level on his side. It sounds like they may not be in a hurry to get acquainted. Maybe you should call the builder. I've never seen a block wall built on top of a retaining wall. I can't see that it would make much difference to put gravel along his side. How on earth did you look over the wall? A sixteen foot extension ladder? Cat's claw would be real purdy.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,487,814 times
From a design/construction aspect, wouldn't the wall/retaining wall/combo/whatever we all want to call it have to have been inspected/cleared by the city as safe/sound?

I think if I were in your spot, I'd read your C C & R's to take a look at the detailed wording first if you think there's something about 24" of space between a fence/grass. That way you can decide what next steps to take based on solid information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area