Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 AM

33 posts, read 93,915 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are going to be relocating to the Phoenix area from the Black Hills of South Dakota (By Mount Rushmore). We have been researching all the surrounding communities but looking for others' input.

We are looking to buy our first home, get married, start a family. We are 24 and 25 years old. So we dont want to be in any retirement community areas. I had someone suggest Gilbert and Queen Creek areas too me.

We want to be somewhere that has things going on most the time whether its music, sports, night life, etc. Also people that are in our age group 35 and under kind of area. Where we are from right now you stay home most the time because there is nothing else to do but go to the bar and you may be the only ones there. And we have no people to invite over because all our friends and ppl our age all live about an hour away.

He is an outdoors person, loves fishing, hiking, anything outdoors. Both of us have grown up on ranches and always had horses, which is something we hope to have someday once we have more money for acres.

I know that Arizona is a desert area and I dont mind that at all but I would like some kind of scenery to look at other than flat desolate desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Depends on where you will work. Gilbert is a great area. Queen Creek, on the other hand, is a little far out, and the road infrastructure in Queen Creek isn't as built out as Gilbert or Chandler, both of which would increase your commute times. However, housing in Queen Creek will generally be less expensive than it is in Gilbert.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
I disagree with both Gilbert and Queen Creek since it sounds like you want to be in an area that's a bit more lively. Those locations and nightlife don't exactly go hand in hand. Do you intend to raise children in this house? Where will you be working? What's your budget?

My initial recommendation would be Scottsdale for quality schools, beautiful scenery, access to hiking trails, spring training and close proximity to nightlife. Your budget and job location will determine if it's a viable option.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:36 AM

Right now Im looking at Glendale as to where I will be working. But we are in the middle of interviews right now. But are not afraid of a 30 minute commute.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea View Post
Right now Im looking at Glendale as to where I will be working. But we are in the middle of interviews right now. But are not afraid of a 30 minute commute.
Glendale to Gilbert will be longer than that in traffic. QC will be even longer. Certainly not worth it IMO. The valley is very spread out. There are some decent spots in the west valley that may be a better option.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I'd live in central Phoenix and do the reverse commute to Glendale. You could also be around Westgate or Arrowhead in Glendale, though, which would have some good entertainment options. The Cardinals football team and the Coyotes hockey team play next to Westgate. Central Phoenix has a lot of different neighborhoods and lots of different entertainment options. You'll see more grass and trees in that part of town, too.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
For West Valley cities, you could try northern Glendale, Peoria, Surprise, Goodyear, or Litchfield Park. These are some of the better areas in the West Valley.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:24 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
I noticed a similar 'we are relocating to Flagstaff' thread by you in another section; did you change your mind about the Phoenix area?

Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM

No I have 4 different threads for 4 different locations because I have a job offer for any of those 4 places. Now we are trying to decide what is going to be the best fit for our family and next 30-40 or more years. So i put out a thread on all of them for feedback

Old 02-12-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea View Post
No I have 4 different threads for 4 different locations because I have a job offer for any of those 4 places. Now we are trying to decide what is going to be the best fit for our family and next 30-40 or more years. So i put out a thread on all of them for feedback
And in four threads you haven't learned that you'll need to provide more details, especially your budget and job location, in order to get useful feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area