Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:45 PM

639 posts, read 972,091 times

Advertisements

The reason Surprise is less is exactly what you posted - the commute and the distance away from everything. It is FAR, especially depending where in Surprise you end up. There is a lot of growth still happening there, and with the new highway going in hopefully it will get better, but mileage wise, it's still FAR. Tempe, Mesa, and Gilbert all are pretty desireable areas that can command higher pricing. I drive throughout the valley for my work (and from Tucson to Flagstaff actually) so I have had a chance to go out to most areas of the valley at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:49 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
One of my realtors would not answer questions about schools, but instead pointed me to a website that let you know the percentage of students getting free or reduced cost meals. So between test scores and that info I was able to narrow down a school district.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinegirl7 View Post
I am realizing my realtor doesn't answer even half of the questions I email her, I ask her questions in the portal and in emails and I maybe get one question answered if that, it seems like they rather talk on the phone and the answers are very vague. I was just asking about some of the schools in certain areas, if they knew anything about them. It's really starting to bother me, my friend who has a wife that is a realtor said they can't answer much because they can be sued, but how are we suppose to get info from them if they can't answer important questions? I really like her but I just wonder why instead of ignoring the question they can't just say I am sorry I cant answer that?
Are you in state?

The reason I ask is that this is a pretty busy time for realtors and if you're not even here, they could be blowing you off.

(sorry OP missed your post above)

Old 02-19-2014, 02:55 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
One of my realtors would not answer questions about schools, but instead pointed me to a website that let you know the percentage of students getting free or reduced cost meals. So between test scores and that info I was able to narrow down a school district.
Do you have a link?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:03 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Realtors have to be very careful of what they say these days for liability purposes and also to be PC. So you need to do your own research. The experienced realtor should be able to steer you in the right direction for where to look for information, then you could follow through.
No realtor would put anything in writing that may be interpreted wrong or could come back to bite them.
This ^. However, ignoring you is rude. They should be honest with you and tell you why they can't offer an opinion. Realtors work on commision. They won't say anything that could kill a sale. Like any profession, there is good and bad. Best bet is to do your own independant research.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM

240 posts, read 348,277 times
I am out of state moving out there this summer, we want to buy a house in the next few months, everything is already approved, we just need to find the house. I know once we do the drive to Surprise then we will know if it's right for us or not. It's saying 25 miles to my husband's work and his boss told him about 45 minutes and a lot of people do the same commute. My son will most likely live on campus. We like to go to a lot of stores like Whole Foods, Farmers Markets, Trader Joes, Sprouts, we seem to like the city life better. Can anyone give me a few links to houses in Zillow that are in safe areas in Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, etc that are in my price range of 200-250,000? I do look at them myself but I don't know what areas are the good side or bad.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Do you have a link?
This was out of state and over 7 years ago, don't remember what the website was.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
Quote:
I am realizing my realtor doesn't answer even half of the questions I email her, I ask her questions in the portal and in emails and I maybe get one question answered if that, it seems like they rather talk on the phone and the answers are very vague. I was just asking about some of the schools in certain areas, if they knew anything about them. It's really starting to bother me, my friend who has a wife that is a realtor said they can't answer much because they can be sued, but how are we suppose to get info from them if they can't answer important questions? I really like her but I just wonder why instead of ignoring the question they can't just say I am sorry I cant answer that?
  1. Every other adult in AZ is either a real estate agent or a contractor.
  2. Document EVERYTHING.
  3. If you buy a property in an HOA - research, research, research. You can not be too careful.
  4. AZ laws are heavily influenced by property management and real estate lobbying groups.
  5. Be advised - that AZ home inspectors are not required to have ANY construction experience.Only have to take a test and shadow a licensed inspector for a very brief amount of time.
  6. Research AZ state topical and geo-technical maps. Find out what is under the house before you buy.
Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:21 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
  1. Every other adult in AZ is either a real estate agent or a contractor.
  2. Document EVERYTHING.
  3. If you buy a property in an HOA - research, research, research. You can not be too careful.
  4. AZ laws are heavily influenced by property management and real estate lobbying groups.
  5. Be advised - that AZ home inspectors are not required to have ANY construction experience.Only have to take a test and shadow a licensed inspector for a very brief amount of time.
  6. Research AZ state topical and geo-technical maps. Find out what is under the house before you buy.
Good luck!

1, 4, and 5, are untrue so this is half right.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:27 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! We are researching different areas and schools, I feel very comfortable with the information I have received on some areas from researching but now I am researching Avondale, trying to find a high school that is rated high in the area we are looking to buy. I talked to a school today and they informed me how I can do open enrollment for the other schools but there is a certain amount of capacity it will allow. My son is very smart and a very good young man so I want him to go to a school where he can excel with his intelligence and also one where he will feel safe. Is Avondale a good choice?
Parts of Avondale feed into good schools. For elementary the Litchfield District is good. For high school, Millennium and Verrado are quite good. A limited area of Avondale would feed into those schools. Gooyear (north of I-10) should put you into those schools, as well as Litchfield Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area