Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times

Advertisements

I'd probably say south of McDonald is where you begin to see more older, smaller homes. Maybe south of Chaparral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawa14 View Post
DetroitN8V- Thanks for a detailed response. Very helpful!
KurtAZ- The Midwest comment: Actually I was quoting it from an old forum post. I lived in the midwest for a while and understand what you are saying
AZJoeD - I started this thread specifically to get some insights into Scottsdale area. This is one of the areas we are considering. I lived in Tempe about 15 yrs ago and went to ASU but that time I was single so never looked at things from this perspective I am somewhat familiar with the area but memory is fading now. Unfortunately I am stuck with the job situation and cant take time to make an exploratory trip in advance. But I see your point and thats why decided to rent for a year before buying. For now, we are just trying to rent in an area where we would evantually buy (in an effort to avoid school change for kids) but there are too many variables and things may not go as planned which is okay but still want to try
Thank you all for some great advice.

One more question - Which street separates south and north (or maybe south and central scottsdale)? I understand it may not be a bright line but just want to get a rough idea.

Thanks everyone!

You'll get different definiitions of north and south. Some, like me, also have a "central" Scottsdale. I don't call it north until I'm above Indian Bend. South Scottsdale, for me, starts at Thomas.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,154,276 times
North of Frank Lloyd Wright: North Scottsdale
between FLW and probably Indian School: Central Scottsdale
South of Indian School: South Scottsdale

Just my definitions...I am sure others have their opinions...it is not like it is laid out that way.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
North of Frank Lloyd Wright: North Scottsdale
between FLW and probably Indian School: Central Scottsdale
South of Indian School: South Scottsdale

Just my definitions...I am sure others have their opinions...it is not like it is laid out that way.
My only quibble with that is that Old Town really isn't like the parts of Scottsdale to the south. Parts of west Scottsdale from Indian School south are like South Scottsdale, and the area between Camelback and Chaparral and Scottsdale Rd and Miller has a lot of the same type of homes, Old Town has a lot more variety of housing, and a different demographic than the southern part of Scottsdale.

But, to the OP, this shows you that different people have different boundaries. Some of it may be influenced by how long we've lived here, but I'm not sure about that.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:00 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,179,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawa14 View Post

One more question - Which street separates south and north (or maybe south and central scottsdale)? I understand it may not be a bright line but just want to get a rough idea.
Technically speaking Main St separates North from South in Scottsdale. Since there is no definitive "lines" where neighborhoods start you will get numerous definitions. Practically speaking South Scottsdale is south of Old Town. Most people consider the area north of Indian School to about Shea as central (although some will say that is north). North is generally considered to be north of Shea with Pinnacle Peak being considered Far North. I have even heard people declare the area north of Carefree Hwy to be Far Far North (but I don't say that). And do not forget that Scottsdale goes east and west from 56th St to 142nd St (in some areas) a distance of about 10 miles.

The point is there are no defined lines. What is too far for some, will be too close for others. Some people say "Don't go north of the 101", which is ridiculous unless your point of reference is always south or downtown. What if you work at the Airpark or Mayo? You would be far better to commute south from the north than fight the traffic up from the south every day.

You never did say where you or your spouse would be working as this is an important factor in your decision. Perhaps Scottsdale is not the correct place.

You also never stated what your vision for a home is, other than you think $480K. Your chances of finding a nice home in McCormick Ranch at $480K is slim. Personally, if you know for sure that $480K is your price point I would look in the 85254 zipcode (which has Scottsdale addresses but is really Phx) and the 85054 & 85050 zipcodes (both Phx). My rationale is that these are good family areas, nice newer homes, close to shopping, doctors, parks, etc, close to major roadways, good schools (all 3 in Paradise Valley District. You will have a good choice of homes in your price point, better than in some other areas of Scottsdale.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM

768 posts, read 1,760,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'd probably say south of McDonald is where you begin to see more older, smaller homes. Maybe south of Chaparral.
That's not totally true - East of 56th St between Oak and Camelback north to McDonald there is some uber expensive real estate and numerous large "in-fill" custom builds between S-dale Road & Camelback/44th Street/Arcadia.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
That's not totally true - East of 56th St between Oak and Camelback north to McDonald there is some uber expensive real estate and numerous large "in-fill" custom builds between S-dale Road & Camelback/44th Street/Arcadia.
Yeah, there's no real science to these labels I guess.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post

True. People tend to forget that west side of Scottsdale from around Camelback south for a few miles.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:48 PM

975 posts, read 1,405,961 times
Personally, my favorite "nice, but urban" part of the Phoenix area is Ahwatukee Foothills. However, if you are looking in Scottsdale, I'd say anything north of McDonald, east of Scottsdale Rd, and south of Pinnacle Peak gives you a nice area to work with.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM

872 posts, read 1,000,539 times
85260'er here

I love it!! I don't really get the RICH feeling here. The people, places and things are pretty middle to upper-middle class here. There are normal stores like you'd see anywhere else in the valley. Further north is where is starts to be more vacation homes and high priced homes/neighborhoods and of course, as you get closer to the mountains, the $$ goes up

It is kinda far from places but close to 101 so it doesn't seem so bad. Just remember if you have friends in Phoenix or the SE Valley, don't plan on them always coming to you lol You may have to alternate visiting or meet in the middle, which, to me, would be Old Town, which is perfect

I would like to buy a house/condo more near Mountain View to McDonald Area from Sdale to the 101. Very nice areas I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area