Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 11,550 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are moving to Scottsdale and I would like to know if there are any neighborhoods that we should avoid buying a place in. We will rent for a bit, but I thought it would be smart to ask the locals just in case.

We have visited before and really like North Scottsdale in general. I realize this is a big area, though. I am also not quite sure as to what areas are included in North Scottsdale (like when I am looking through various neighborhoods on websites with Scottsdale homes for sale).

If you have any other suggestions that would make our move more seamless, please share. We are moving from Canada.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaryqueen View Post
Hi everyone,

We are moving to Scottsdale and I would like to know if there are any neighborhoods that we should avoid buying a place in. We will rent for a bit, but I thought it would be smart to ask the locals just in case.

We have visited before and really like North Scottsdale in general. I realize this is a big area, though. I am also not quite sure as to what areas are included in North Scottsdale (like when I am looking through various neighborhoods on websites with Scottsdale homes for sale).

If you have any other suggestions that would make our move more seamless, please share. We are moving from Canada.

Thank you!!!
There are really no bad parts, although parts of south Scottsdale are older and more working class. What's your budget, where will you be working and what are you looking for in a house?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:18 AM

Thank you for the quick response.

We would like to spend around $400,000. I have no idea how the mortgage approval process works down there, though. We both have established careers here in Canada, but only my husband will be working when we first get down there. We plan to rent for a while... not sure how long. Ideally we would like to buy a home as soon as possible.

We really like the Hidden Hills area, but I looked at some property listings, and it looks like the homes there are out of our budget.

The big things we're looking for is a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom home with its own pool and a newer/upgraded kitchen. Other than that, we're pretty easy. I found quite a few listings online for $350K-$400K that fits this... just not sure if there are some neighborhoods I should avoid.

He will be commuting to Phoenix for work.

Thanks!

Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response.

We would like to spend around $400,000. I have no idea how the mortgage approval process works down there, though. We both have established careers here in Canada, but only my husband will be working when we first get down there. We plan to rent for a while... not sure how long. Ideally we would like to buy a home as soon as possible.

We really like the Hidden Hills area, but I looked at some property listings, and it looks like the homes there are out of our budget.

The big things we're looking for is a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom home with its own pool and a newer/upgraded kitchen. Other than that, we're pretty easy. I found quite a few listings online for $350K-$400K that fits this... just not sure if there are some neighborhoods I should avoid.

He will be commuting to Phoenix for work.

Thanks!
If he'll be commuting to central or downtown Phoenix, I'd avoid far north Scottsdale, say north of Pinnacle Peak Rd., ideally staying much further south than that. I don't know where Hidden Hills is. Under $400k with a private pool and an updated kitchen seems like a very tall order for Scottsdale.

85254 is Phoenix, but with a Scottsdale mailing address. It's a bit more affordable (although not much), is very nice and has good access to the 51 for your husband to get down to central Phoenix. The houses are older, but with your budget, that may be where you find a fit. 85260 is also very nice and parts tend to be a bit more affordable as well. 85255, 85258 and 85259 tend to be priced higher per square foot.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.. but in an area like that, would I need to worry about having bug people come and spray the house every month or is that more for rural areas?

Where I live it's frozen for half the year so we don't have any creepy crawlies besides mosquitoes lol.

Also, for a house like I linked, what are the approximate costs for pool maintenance?

Thanks!!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.. but in an area like that, would I need to worry about having bug people come and spray the house every month or is that more for rural areas?

Where I live it's frozen for half the year so we don't have any creepy crawlies besides mosquitoes lol.

Also, for a house like I linked, what are the approximate costs for pool maintenance?

Thanks!!
McDowell Mountain Ranch is right up against the mountains so you should spray for bugs. You won't die if you don't, but being so close to the mountains you'll see some bugs if you don't. Mosquitoes aren't very prevalent here. If there's a downside to mountain views and quick access to hiking it's the need to spray for bugs, I suppose.

We pay $100 per month for pool service. I could probably get it done for around $80 but I like our guy.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
If you are going to rent first (a very good idea) no need to be in a hurry to buy. You will have plenty of options to buy when you are ready.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you are going to rent first (a very good idea) no need to be in a hurry to buy. You will have plenty of options to buy when you are ready.
I know... impatient I guess! It has been our dream to move to Scottsdale for a few years now.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I have a buddy that was a developer in the Hidden Hills area about 15 years ago. If we're thinking of the same area, this is the foothills of the South end of the McDowell Mtns, North of Shea. The homes that I looked at then were "Saltbox" style - for lack of a better term. One-story in the front, two-story in the back on hillside lots with views (S/West style just trying to explain the layout). IMS back then the prices were over $400K for a base house and that didn't include pool/landscaping. I'm sure they are much more than that now. I agree with Detroit, that budget seems like a tall order, even if you add 10% to your budget it will be difficult to find something with a pool AND an updated kitchen, maybe one or the other.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
I stand corrected, just did a search for 3/2 with pools and there are lots of examples around 400K or less in N Scottsdale. Some under 350K in McDowell Mtn Ranch with pools and in need of the kitchen remodel. These are smaller houses on small lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: