Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I want to check it out after hearing all its praises. Sounds like a nice spot. I guess it is far closer to central Phoenix, I was just surprised to hear that Surprise is further removed from the rest of the valley as it LOOKS like Estrella is way out there.
The disappointing thing about Estrella to me is that in spite of the unique setting and the surroundings, the housing looks like every other place in town - with the exception of the customs maybe. I have to give that to Verrado - it is different. I don't care for the style, but at least when you take the trip out there you see something that maybe you don't see everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 12:41 PM

69 posts, read 156,698 times
I lived in the Seattle area for 7 years. My husband lived there for 32 years. One thing that I have missed is the uniqueness of the houses and the architecture. That's one of the reasons I loved Verrado. The tendency for cookie cutter houses bugs me. But, the area is not very built up yet, though I imagine in the future it will be.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
I lived in the Seattle area for 7 years. My husband lived there for 32 years. One thing that I have missed is the uniqueness of the houses and the architecture. That's one of the reasons I loved Verrado. The tendency for cookie cutter houses bugs me. But, the area is not very built up yet, though I imagine in the future it will be.
Interesting. When I was last in Seattle I could not get over how close together they built houses in new subdivisions. I wonder to this day how they managed to nail on the siding! The trend here is actually away from cookie cutter to some extent. 20 years ago, every house built was painted Navajo White and there were maybe 2-3 elevations and 3 models for sale. Now you see as many as 6 or more models, multiple elevations, and a variety of paint combos. On the paint, it is now even against city ordinances in Goodyear to paint your house the same as the one next door.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,247,518 times
Quote:
I want to check it out after hearing all its praises. Sounds like a nice spot. I guess it is far closer to central Phoenix, I was just surprised to hear that Surprise is further removed from the rest of the valley as it LOOKS like Estrella is way out there.
The biggest problem was that Surprise had only a two lane road between it and the freeway and it was one of the most dangerous roads in Arizona. It took a long time to get to the freeway and in traffic it was scary to drive. I did it for three years and dreaded it every day. The new 303 will make that problem a lot better but it is still a long ways up there. To get to a mall you can't use a freeway from Surprise, you have to travel down Bell Road and that is a nightmare. There WERE no freeways out of Surprise.

I live right near the I10 (exactly where your route is marked on the map) and it seems much quicker for me to get to Estrella then it does for me to get to Surprise.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:06 PM

69 posts, read 156,698 times
I didn't live in Seattle proper. I lived in the suburbs over the bridge...Redmond/Woodnville area. While the newer areas in Woodinvile do have homes that are close, though not as close as here, at our house in Woodinville we lived on 2 1/2 acres. A lot of the older, but still very nice and well maintained, subdivisions have a fair amount of land as well.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,617,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Surprise is just too far from everything else for me. Estrella is a much better option to be closer to a wider variety of amenities, and just other cities in the Valley you might want to visit.
Surprise has way more amenities than Estrella.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Surprise has way more amenities than Estrella.
Surprise is a city of 200,000 people. Estrella is a master planned community - a collection of subdivisions with around 10K residents. I think the point above that it is easier to get to "amenities" from Estrella than Surprise is generally true, though it depends on the amenity you seek. Surprise has the full complement of suburban frills, more of it than Goodyear does. But when you want to go downtown or east, Goodyear (and Estrella) have the edge.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Don't let them fool you. Estrella does not have the amenities that Surprise has. Most of Surprise (especially the Litchfield corridor is closer to downtown Phoenix than Estrella). Estrella is close to 30 miles (29.8 according to google) and my house in Surprise is 20.7 miles to downtown. These same posters just like to hate on Surprise for some reason and completely ignore the facts.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Surprise is a city of 200,000 people. Estrella is a master planned community - a collection of subdivisions with around 10K residents.
my point exactly. I find it funny that Estrella has more amenities which was claimed on this thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:54 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
Quote:
They both look very far out with Surprise APPEARING to be closer in. Is that not where Estrella is? It looks further out at least on the map.
It's not just miles, it's time. And for me, I'm not just talking about choosing between the two. I would not want to live in Surprise compared to areas on the east or the west side. It's the OP that's only looking west. Driving on Bell Rd eastbound out of Surprise is a particular nightmare. That, and there's not much IN Surprise compared to other areas on the west side to make it an attractive choice. Relatively cheap housing is not the only consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area