Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:20 AM

69 posts, read 156,643 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved from Seattle to Gilbert in May 2012. After visiting the West Valley, we're contemplating a move over there. Seems you can get a lot more house for your money. We work from home, so we don't have to stay in the Gilbert area. We visited Verrado and I loved it. But, we'd also like to have a place with a bit more land. The closeness of the houses around here drives my husband crazy.

So, after leaving Verrado, we drove over to Surprise and really liked it. I forget the name of the neighborhood we looked at, but we have since been looking online. Not sure if we will continue to rent or buy. Other than Surprise Farms, which is the one neighborhood that I seem to hear the most about, are there any other subdivisions that are best or that should be avoided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 08:32 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
My husband and I moved from Seattle to Gilbert in May 2012. After visiting the West Valley, we're contemplating a move over there. Seems you can get a lot more house for your money. We work from home, so we don't have to stay in the Gilbert area. We visited Verrado and I loved it. But, we'd also like to have a place with a bit more land. The closeness of the houses around here drives my husband crazy.

So, after leaving Verrado, we drove over to Surprise and really liked it. I forget the name of the neighborhood we looked at, but we have since been looking online. Not sure if we will continue to rent or buy. Other than Surprise Farms, which is the one neighborhood that I seem to hear the most about, are there any other subdivisions that are best or that should be avoided?
Have you been to Estrella? For my money it is the best overall development on the west side and one of the few in the valley that has a self-contained community feel to it. There are several developments where the lots run 8K sf plus and then there are custom homes on 1/2 acre plus if you have the coin. I live there and my lot is 16K sf and is not a custom.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,616,474 times
Litchfield Manor, Royal Ranch, Marley Park, Copper Canyon/Mountain Gate, Ranch Gabriela, Surprise Farms, Orchards, Sierra Verde are some of the better communities in Surprise. Mountain Gate being the most expensive/exclusive planned community (not including the retirement communities)

Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,245,230 times
Agree with Ponderosa, outside of a couple age restricted communities Estrella is my favorite west valley development. Definitely worth checking out before you make your decision.

I worked in Surprise for three years and it was much too isolated from the rest of the valley for my taste. The 303 will make it better but it is still a haul to other parts of the valley you may need/want to travel to for one reason or the other.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
Surprise is just too far from everything else for me. Estrella is a much better option to be closer to a wider variety of amenities, and just other cities in the Valley you might want to visit.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:59 AM

69 posts, read 156,643 times
I have a friend who has a vacation home in Estrella, though I have never been out there. The pictures look absolutely gorgeous, but I was under the impression that it is pretty far off the freeway. Maybe I'm wrong? We have a little bit of time. Can move as early as July or go month to month where we are now. Just trying to assemble a few areas as possibilities so that we can venture out on weekends and check them out.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Surprise is just too far from everything else for me. Estrella is a much better option to be closer to a wider variety of amenities, and just other cities in the Valley you might want to visit.
They both look very far out with Surprise APPEARING to be closer in. Is that not where Estrella is? It looks further out at least on the map.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl92 View Post
I have a friend who has a vacation home in Estrella, though I have never been out there. The pictures look absolutely gorgeous, but I was under the impression that it is pretty far off the freeway. Maybe I'm wrong? We have a little bit of time. Can move as early as July or go month to month where we are now. Just trying to assemble a few areas as possibilities so that we can venture out on weekends and check them out.
It's about 10-12 minutes off the freeway, though a few more if you decide to move to the newer parts down in the southern end.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
They both look very far out with Surprise APPEARING to be closer in. Is that not where Estrella is? It looks further out at least on the map.
I drive those ways to L. Pleasant all the time. It is about twice as long from I10 to Surprise as I-10 to Estrella (the map is not the way we go to I10 east, though). Where one is located in both places would matter too. The 303 link to I10 will help Surprise. The worst part right now is where the two come together. There is no easy way through there.

(and let me add that the last (or first) few miles from the Gila River home is a gorgeous, relaxing drive in Estrella. It is where we leave the city behind, unwind and come to appreciate why we live here)

Old 04-11-2014, 12:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I drive those ways to L. Pleasant all the time. It is about twice as long from I10 to Surprise as I-10 to Estrella (the map is not the way we go to I10 east, though). Where one is located in both places would matter too. The 303 link to I10 will help Surprise. The worst part right now is where the two come together. There is no easy way through there.

(and let me add that the last (or first) few miles from the Gila River home is a gorgeous, relaxing drive in Estrella. It is where we leave the city behind, unwind and come to appreciate why we live here)
I want to check it out after hearing all its praises. Sounds like a nice spot. I guess it is far closer to central Phoenix, I was just surprised to hear that Surprise is further removed from the rest of the valley as it LOOKS like Estrella is way out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area